US ATM Card Use

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Can I use my US ATM Card while in the DR?

If so, will I get pesos or dollars from the ATM?

If pesos, will the US bank understand that I withdrew $100 USD not $3300 USD?

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Thanks...looks like good advice...

Get a BAC card, use the Scotia Bank ATM and avoid the "cambio."

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Nobody said avoiding the cambio is your best bet, it's not a bad idea to have "backup" methods if PLAN A fails. Bring some cash and 2 ATM cards so you have a PLAN B.

Make sure you notify your US Bank/credit card companies when and where you plan on traveling, BAC likes to turn off the card after one use to avoid fraudulent usage.

If you use the ATM card in the branch, at the teller, you also avoid any potential ATM Scams of card eating, but bring a copy of your passport .

tambo'

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Nobody said avoiding the cambio is your best bet, it's not a bad idea to have "backup" methods if PLAN A fails. Bring some cash and 2 ATM cards so you have a PLAN B.

Make sure you notify your US Bank/credit card companies when and where you plan on traveling, BAC likes to turn off the card after one use to avoid fraudulent usage.

If you use the ATM card in the branch, at the teller, you also avoid any potential ATM Scams of card eating, but bring a copy of your passport .

tambo'

This is really good advise from Tamborista. I notify both my credit card and credit union ATM companies whenever I travel, and especially now that I live here. I call them before making a purchase out of the US (whenever possible) so there is no embarrassing ??our card is denied?? at the cashier, particularly when I haven?t used the card in awhile. I also call them when I head to the US to advise there should be no purchases in the DR during whatever period of time I?m going to be away. I?ve used Scotiabank, Le?n and Popular but never checked the rates (but I will now). BanReservas always denies my card even though it says it takes VISA...

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I find the exchange rate usually better than going to one of the local Cambio Centers..... but my US Bank charges me $5 everytime I use a ATM in the DR. So, I hit the ATM only 1 time while there and make it a big one.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
I find the exchange rate usually better than going to one of the local Cambio Centers..... but my US Bank charges me $5 everytime I use a ATM in the DR. So, I hit the ATM only 1 time while there and make it a big one.

How much will they let you withdraw in one visit to the ATM?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
How much will they let you withdraw in one visit to the ATM?

Between DOP 2000.oo per visit to DOP 28000.oo in 4 transactions in one visit (Banco Santa Cruz). Depends at what bank's ATM. Fees also vary depending on the bank.
I find the Scotia Bank ATM's to be the most transparent (shows your balance automatically on the printout after each transaction and they are generally the most well kept.
Banco Popular is the bank which closes the earliest, has the most or highest fees and many of their ATMs have the lowest withdrawal limit (DOP 2000.oo/day... Eg: Playa Dorada Comm. Plaza).

... J-D.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
My bank (Chase) charges me $3.00 per withdrawal; guess that's better than $5.00. Normally I withdraw from Scotia Bank which lets me withdraw up to $16,000 RD per day (done in two seperate transactions).

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Your daily maximum is set by the individual bank you use as your "home" bank. In some cases it's $250 or $500 for 24 hours, but I know several people who've had their banks up that to $1000 USD to minimize the withdrawal charges. Of course, IF someone does get ahold of your ATM card, then you could be out that much more. Our banks only charge $1 usd for each withdrawal so there must be a wide variation in fees. Keep in mind that you'll get your money in RD pesos--IF the ATM has any money in it. On a Friday in SPM and JD it is a frequent ocurrence to find not a single ATM with money. Much to my initial shock, I've even found the BANKS out of money (LOL--seriously, so try to plan ahead.) Another thing that happens is that many employers who pay their workers cash will stand at the ATM and fill their payroll envelopes at the ATM, leaving the machine empty. So, if you see someone about to do this and you only have a quick transaction, politely ask if you can get your cash first. Most people are obliging for things like this because they are getting paid by the hour anyway.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
In august, I withdrew RD3,000 twice from Banco Popular ATM in a shopping center in Santiago. In September, mysteriously $3,000 was taken out of my bank account twice. It happened to about 4 people who actually have accounts with my bank. There was an alert and all kinds of fraud meetings at the bank until it was realized to be an ATM error. Just keep an eye on your account after you use the ATM

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Great advice SKing...my dh was shorted 400 pesos and got his bank to recredit his account because he had checked his balance and the receipt. COUNT YOUR MONEY! This goes for anywhere and everywhere. I know it's hard if people are standing in line behind you but it's really the way to know. And, ideally, don't go to ATMs at night, alone.

Feb 7, 2007
1) Washington Mutual does not charge any fees for withtdrawals in any ATM worldwide. None.
Also, the foreign transaction conversion fee is just 1% as opposed to other banks who usually charge 2%.

2) If the ATM does not give you money, prepare for a fight with a local and your bank. two days ago at banco Leaon I used my Banco Leon card to widraw money from my Leon account. So it was everything "Leon". The ATM failed got error 91 something and no money. But the money got debited from the account. I heard and read this happening sometimes when using a card from a different bank, but never "same everything: e.g. Leon ATM - Leon account - Leon card". The bank said it would be at least 5 working days to resolve. The complaints did not happen. I got pi.sed off. Found out a way to speak to the office of director of operations. Talked to the assistant. Money was bank in the account in 4 hours.