My friend is in jail, can I visit him?

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
My friend (who is deported) is in jail. He got stupid and started robbing people. He and some friends went to go rob some guy in a car and it turned out to be a police colonel accompanied by 4 police officers. I think I heard something about him being locked up in RAFE or something like that. I want to go visit him because he is a good friend of mine and I am worried about him. I want to go see if he needs me to make any phone calls for him to the US. Please let me know how visitation works (if it exists) ASAP. Thanks.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Careful...

Be very careful about who you visit in jail. They may think you are part of his Clan/Pandilla and give you a hard time or even follow you around once you leave. If you are a "Gringo", use extreme caution, as you automatically have deep pockets...and the PN are hungry! BTW, if he was deported form the USA (I assume), could it be, he was misbehaving in the USA? If so, don't you think he would have learned how to behave in a normal society? He was not stupid (as you stated), he "IS" really stupid. Good luck.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That will probably be Rafey jail in Santiago. There have been a number of threads/posts about jails and visits - I have posted stuff about Fortaleza in Puerto Plata but I've never been to Rafey. Yes you can visit, take ID & be prepared to be searched plus any bags of gifts/food will be searched. Just be aware of the implications for you if you are visiting a deportee who committed a crime here after deportation, particularly against a police colonel. It could give you the sort of high profile with the police which you might not want.

Bingo SamanaJon........posting at same time.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Yeah, I was told about how it would make me look if I went to go visit him and how they would watch me like a hawk after that. I don't think I need to worry though because I don't involve myself in ANY criminal activity whatsoever. I just study medicine in PUCMM and studying is literally my life...but if the police are going to be such assholes about it is there any other way I can get in contact with him? Like a phone call or something?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
My friend (who is deported) is in jail. He got stupid and started robbing people. He and some friends went to go rob some guy in a car and it turned out to be a police colonel accompanied by 4 police officers.

This may sound callous,,,, but I hope they keep him in there for a long time. BTW what type of person has ?friends? who rob other people?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yeah, I was told about how it would make me look if I went to go visit him and how they would watch me like a hawk after that. I don't think I need to worry though because I don't involve myself in ANY criminal activity whatsoever. I just study medicine in PUCMM and studying is literally my life...but if the police are going to be such assholes about it is there any other way I can get in contact with him? Like a phone call or something?

The best thing you can do for this guy is have someone from his family go visit him, even a second or third cousin will do. They typically won't question that as it is the tradition here for one to take care of their own. It would work out better imo if the person has at least one of the same apellidos, as I'm sure they will ask for a cedula.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
The best thing you can do for this guy is have someone from his family go visit him, even a second or third cousin will do. They typically won't question that as it is the tradition here for one to take care of their own. It would work out better imo if the person has at least one of the same apellidos, as I'm sure they will ask for a cedula.

He doesn't have anymore family over here everyone is over there in New York. I don't have cedula, I just have an American military ID.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Nice "friend". Stupid? I think not. He was fully aware of his actions and their consequences. I would like for him to stay in jail, not receive any gifts, good treatment or visits from friends. He was committing crimes that hurt good, innocent people and they will have lasting fear and bad memories.

I have been a victim of such a person and I have no sympathy, whatsoever. I hope he rots there for a long enough time that he will never be able return to his life of crime and hurting innocent people.

Everyone who knows me, knows I usually do not make a post unless I am passionate about the subject. The nonchalant attitude the OP has taken with this person and his crime, puts him on the bottom of my list of pond scum, as well. Friends are chosen, choose them wisely.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Rafey prison in Santiago is a relatively well-organized prison, one of the new 'model prisons'. There are visitor hours and you don't have to buy your way in or something, but you will be searched, have to give your ID. It is not as chaotic and menacing as some of the old prisons like La Victoria or Higuey, so you will be fine really. That is about the practicalities of going in or out, about the implications of visiting someone who robbed a colonel, Lambada and SamanaJon already pointed that out. He might have a mobile phone, but it's illegal, so I would not call the prison to ask for his number... you can call the prison to ask about visitor hours.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't think I need to worry though because I don't involve myself in ANY criminal activity whatsoever.

...but if the police are going to be such assholes about it is there any other way I can get in contact with him? Like a phone call or something?

I don't understand your thinking .. Your friend was caught robbing others and you think the the police is being a'holes? And now you want to put yourself at risk? Wow! Anyway, why not send him a note with his family, or someone else and not involve yourself.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Dominican families are huge! Sounds like he has no family here that want to have anything to do with him. Take a lesson from that! If his family won't support him, why are you?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
He doesn't have anymore family over here everyone is over there in New York. I don't have cedula, I just have an American military ID.

I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have some family, a third cousin or whatever. Failing that, find someone with at least one of his apellidos, pay him RD500 to go and find out.

If you can't do that. I have a couple of friends who are licensed PI's here who can do it for a fee.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Just pay someone to go take some stuff to him and don't tell the messenger your information,in case they question him.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think I need to worry though because I don't involve myself in ANY criminal activity whatsoever.

I think that sentence tells us exactly how much you know about how things work here. I spent 14 months visiting someone in a Dominican jail who also didn't involve himself in any criminal activity whatsoever.

You've had the advice. You were told you'd be watched like a hawk in your own words. Maybe you're the sort of person who has to learn the hard way? In which case we'll quite understand if we don't see you posting here for a year. Or two.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
No excuse for stupidity..

My friend (who is deported) is in jail. He got stupid and started robbing people. He and some friends went to go rob some guy in a car and it turned out to be a police colonel accompanied by 4 police officers.

..he's deported?!? I hope they keep him in jail for ages.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
..he's deported?!? I hope they keep him in jail for ages.

Maybe he was deported for something NOT violent such as speeding ticket or something real stupid that some people get themselfs involve in our beloved USA, you know some us love to pick on the inmigrants and blame them for OUR problems...............

But if he was robing in people in DR them he is where he needs to be jail.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
If a friend of mine were caught robbing... I would be deeply concerned for him, and I would visit him in jail too.

Of course, none of my friends rob people on the streets (to the best of my knowledge!).

So, come on people, this guy has a friend in jail, a friend who just got stupid, so he wants to visit. Just give him advice. I don't really know much about it.

On the other hand, your friend is VERY stupid, and he's paying for that stupidity. So far the only thing he's done well is have you as a friend, it seems. If I were you, I would give him some advice, and then let him be forever, you don't need friends who make these kind of choices... Next thing you know, he's staying at your house and then he mugs you too.

Feb 15, 2005
that could've been someone's dad or grandfather he was trying to jack. no self defense, no fight in a night club just a thief. and you've asking for visitation info? dam.

the crazy thing is that you're getting it.