i need help right away please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
Is it possible to get a one way ticket to the dominican republic withouth a problem?? someone told e that you can get a one way ticket unless you are dominican...is this true? am i going to have any problems at customs?
ill be leaving from canada.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You will have problems at the airport. You need to purchase a return ticket unless you have your residencia! Do NOT listen to what the travel agent might tell you - the airlines SHOULD stop you from boarding if you do not have a return ticket.

You need to show you will be leaving this country again.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Depends. Actually, the rule states you need Dominican residency, not necessarily having to be a Dominican. The rule is a DR rule but the airlines enforce it. I have on several occasions before having residency been able to do it but its not a sure thing. I was told several times I would be forced to buy a ticket upon arrival which was never occurred. There is no problem buying the ticket, the issue will come up when you check in which is the worst time for you to address it. Hope this helps.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is possible to do it. I bought one way tickets for me, my wife and daughters in '06 on line with American and no one asked us a question at the airport or anything. My wife is Dom but the rest aren't.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you know when you are returing like 6 months try booking for a return ticket for 6 months .

I just checked with selloffvacations and it's 646.00 plus taxes for return in 6 months

www.selloffairfares.com:

Or you get the cheapest ticket you can find and you just don't use the other half. Most of the time it's cheaper that way than a one way.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Or... check your airline's rules.

Buy a round trip ticket with any return date that gives you the best rate for now. Then, call them once you're here & tell them you want to change the date, but you're not sure for when.

At least with American Airlines, I've been able to indefinitely postpone my returns. I pay a change fee (most recently it was US$100 i think) + any difference in the actual flight rate when I finally choose a return date. At times, I've only had to pay the change fee. At other times, up to $150 more in flight differential. I think with AA the ticket/return can be postponed for up to a year. Just keep your booking/reference # for when you're ready to finally pick your return date.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
what if i buy a a vacation package for example, and my return would be in a week, and i just dont use that... will the embassy search for me? or will i have any problems booking a flight on my way out of punta cana?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Here is what you do - just buy a package. Do not use the return ticket - no one will care. WHen ready to go back check in with the charter providers - they sell a one way ticket out whenever they have an empty seat. EASY.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
what if i buy a a vacation package for example, and my return would be in a week, and i just don't use that... will the embassy search for me? or will i have any problems booking a flight on my way out of punta cana?

No they won't look for you.I did that once, bought a cheap return and didn't return after a week and then like planner said call the charter company in DR and they will sell you a ticket last minute if they have a seat. They have an airplane ful of people waiting they don't care if you're not there or even if someone arrives late, they leave

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
ahhh perfecttttttttt okk so ill end up doing that if i have no choice left! the only thing that is gonna suck big time is im gonna be stuck on an awesome resort by my self for 1 week! haha how sad..well im sure ill see my friends but its not the same as comming with osomeone who is with u on the resort 24 /7

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
ok another question, lets say i have to change planes for example my plane leaves in the morning at 7 am gets to new york at 9 20 am , and then i have to wait 11 hours to board the plane to go to punta cana in new york..they dont prvide you with hotel or anyhtng in new york right?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
ok another question, lets say i have to change planes for example my plane leaves in the morning at 7 am gets to new york at 9 20 am , and then i have to wait 11 hours to board the plane to go to punta cana in new york..they dont prvide you with hotel or anyhtng in new york right?

Wishful thinking

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004

No, unfortunately not. Are there no earlier flights from NY?

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Miss November .. where are you traveling from ?? Could Miami or Ft Lauderdale have been an option for connecting flights. Wow.. long wait time! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.