important announcement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
Ok people, so if you guys red my past blog, we were trying to find out, if i can go to the dominican republic, withouth buying a round trip ticket, and most of the answeres were NO. and that they wouldnt let me board the plane unless i have proof that i am returning.

I called the Dominican Embassy in Canada today and decided to ask them myself the question. And the answers werrve very surprising Here they are

- A canadian Citizen does not need to purchase a round trip ticket because canadian citizens are allowed to go to the Dominican Republic with no problem and they can stay for AS LONG AS THEY LIKE.

- An American citizen would need to purchase a roundtrip ticket.

Sooo hope this helps you guys in your future trips, and also helps me out as well..cuz now i dont need to buy a useless round trip ticket :)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Although you may find it can be cheaper to buy a last minute airfare round trip..... then a one way ticket..

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
That's true alicious. And also, most travel agencies won't issue a one way, because they still believe it's policy to have a return ticket. And Miss November just a heads up, you can stay as long as you want but after a month, you will have to pay a tax on leaving the country, the amount varies depending on how long you stay.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Shows how little the people know at the Dominican Embassy in Canada.
I suggest you call back and ask for somebody that has a clue.

You need a return ticket as they may ask to see your onward leg or return back to Canada. Your stay is valid for the length of your tourist visa (15 days). Overstaying is no big deal, but you will be fined on departure.

This topic has been covered many times on this board.
Use the search function and the knowledge base, they're your friends :)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
"Shows how little the people know at the Dominican Embassy in Canada.
I suggest you call back and ask for somebody that has a clue."

I have to agree, they aren't very helpful. I swung by to find out info on working in the DR, I think the guy just told me whatever to get me out as soon as possible so he could have a smoke.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Have you called the airlines to see if they would board you with a one way ticket. They are the ones that have the power to leave you behind.

I have to agree with Robert the Dominican embassy in Canada knows squat.

Of course you can stay as long as you want but that is not the issue here.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
hey guys
i called the embassy 4 times, and spoke to 4 diff people, 2 in spanish and 2 in french and they all told me the same thing, that canadian citezens dont need a return ticket
and n questions will be asked... i also called the airlines, and they said the same thing

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok just for my own peace of mind that we don't hand out the wrong info, first I called selloffvactions and they said no they would not sell a one way ticket.

Then I called Air Canada and after waiting for 10 mins the girl told me " oh yes no problem we'll sell you a one way ticket anywhere you want to go"

I said, are you sure about that? Would your airline allow me to get on a plane with a one way ticket if I'm not a citizen of the DR? Then she thought about it for two seconds and said " well it's up to costumes and immigration to stop you when you are at the check in. :rolleyes:

Sooooo, I said well don't you think you should tell people this before they get to the airport.

She went to look for her little manual and read this, To enter the DR you need a passport and return ticket.

Do what you like I give up.

BTW I spoke with a girl named Barbara/ Air Canada 1-888-247-2262 not sure if you can get the same one from Montreal. I'm in Ontario.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
i thought i made a good suggestion in your other post.

why wouldn't you want a return ticket ?

with american airlines or any major non charter airline you can rebook your return ticket for up to a year....

then you dont have to worry when its time to come home that you dont have to go looking for a ticket home?

what if you have an emergency & there are no seats to be found because the flights are booked solid?

did you consider the luggage allowances for charters vs major airlines?

imho travelling to a new country without a way home doesn't seem very smart.

sangria

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
i didint book a charter ticket,so i wont have a problem for my luggages. also its much more costly to buy a return ticket, i got my one way ticket for 382.00$ i will be flying with us airways. and i do not know when i will return could be in 3 years could be in 4 years and could be in 5 months, and i called the embassy again, got another diff person, asked all the info and they told me when i check in at punta cana airport, aand they ask me why i did not book a return ticket, i simply tell them that i was hired via bavaro princesS( i have my contract) and that i am doing my papers in the dominican, wich i am allowed to, i have the choice to do it or in canada or in punta cana.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
i also kept the numbers and names of the dominican embassy in canada so if there are any roblems i will direct them to speak with them on the phone, my first trip to punta cana, i had left my passport at home and i took the wrong passport with me( my expired passport from 1999) and they let me go trough withouth a scratch at customs in PUJ...in other words, they dont even pay any attention, but the matter of the fact is, it is definitly allowed to book a one way ticket for canadian citizens.

A

apostropheman

when i last flew with United i paid about the same as you. perhaps a little more, i don't recall exactly but i chose them for the price, and had a return ticket. as stated earlier there are many advantages to this:

1. it eliminates any possible debate/hassle about the legitimacy of travel into the DR with only a one-way ticket
2. it is cost effective as you can rebook your return for a much later date for little to no extra cost
3. it is convenient as chances are you will eventually return to Canada so you will already have a ticket
4. in the case of emergency again you will already hold a ticket.

just because you may have the right to enter the DR with a one-way ticket, and that is still up for debate it seems, does not mean that it's the best or most practical way. sometimes having the right does not actually mean that you'll be allowed not does it free you from potential hassle.

hopefully things will go smoothly for you but don't be surprised if they don't. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
i didint book a charter ticket,so i wont have a problem for my luggages. also its much more costly to buy a return ticket, i got my one way ticket for 382.00$ i will be flying with us airways. and i do not know when i will return could be in 3 years could be in 4 years and could be in 5 months, and i called the embassy again, got another diff person, asked all the info and they told me when i check in at punta cana airport, aand they ask me why i did not book a return ticket, i simply tell them that i was hired via bavaro princesS( i have my contract) and that i am doing my papers in the dominican, wich i am allowed to, i have the choice to do it or in canada or in punta cana.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
sighs... i do hope that the dominican embassy in canada is not retarded...and that it wont give me problems...worst comes to worst i have enough money to buy a return ticket on the spot, if they give me any problems, but hopfully...and according to the embassy and airline, they wont..lets keep our fingers crossed..ill let u guys know what happened, once i get there :), but thanks alot for all ur help folks!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Chances are you won't have to get a return ticket, my brother flew in on a one way ticket via NY, and he had no problems. I've never had anyone ask to see my return ticket either. Don't sweat it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good luck with this. Take extra money to the airport - odds are you WILL need it.

Good luck with ANYONE helping you out on the phone at the airport when you call the embassy - even the people you spoke with before. NOT likely they will remember or admit to remembering your conversation!!! They will NOT help you, will NOT pay for the new ticket etc etc.

You have received GREAT information and advice on this! we just love people who WON"T listen!

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
No problema

sighs... i do hope that the dominican embassy in canada is not retarded...and that it wont give me problems...

The Dominican embassies are known for their quality of information... :tired:
Their staff are exeptional.

Also, you may want to learn this:
"No problema" is one of the most frequently used expressions here.
It simply means that the speaker won't have any problems... YOU WILL.

Janin

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I traveled last September with AA without a return ticket and no one asked any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.