Attention Merengue music lovers!!!!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
OK....here we go folks:bunny:, Los Hermanos Rosarios have just released a new album after a five year absense:surprised and if your a merengue music lover like me, then I feel your pain...because I miss my music alot!!...I miss seeing the artist perform and miss listening to new music, it's no secret that merengue has taken a hard hit in the last few years....but now it's time to put up or shut and re-start this movement all over again....the Rosarios have now made a new album titled AURA...an album that must be supported and in the homes of just about every Dominican household across the country...

I just can't stand what is going on now with our cultural music interest nowadays listen...rap, reggae, nor samba, nor soca, nor bomba y plena, rock, nor tex mex...is our music, some special interest groups, labels, and radio stations alike are trying to shut down our music, they know merengue is and has always been very powerful for many decades, Dominican artist can duplicate any other countries music...but our music especially merengue whether romantic or mambo can't be duplicated by other cultures, whether it is another latin country or Americano U.S. look.. this is our music!!! which we have let fall to the ground for less and next to near garbage!! which is being played right now, reggaeton is not cultural music! it's just an alternative beat from the traditional jamaican style, it will fade out and tire out in two more years, and rap will cause and invite violence:pirate:and in our already confused community....Why, you say?....because anything else will be boring and corny! if your not singing about drugs,sex,and guns:ermm:you won't sell mainstream rap music records...our Dominican parents will scream in agony!:paranoid:

So...please go to your nearest music store and purchase your latest copy of Aura..note!! I said purchase not download it!!! lets support our music and our artist again and this time lets guard and protect our cultural music from outside invaders who know that we are a musical powerhouse! in latin America and in the industry as a whole, buy a merengue album for you and for a friend, or family member.. see ya!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Daddy1-

It's been a while since you have had a post about Dominican music. I was actually thinking of starting a thread too along the lines of a tribute to some great albums of 2007 because believe me IMO, there's not much to rave about. I am a music collector (all original cds BTW) and this year I have only purchased three thus far and December is on our doorstep. Apart from being busy juggling life happenings meaning personal and professional interests, I have never used that as an excuse before for not keeping pace with one my greatest passions and hobbies which is music.

Being a fan of tropical music in general not just merengue last week I dedicated some time to finding out which of my favorite artists have releases in 2007 with the intent to purchase some cds. When I got to Los Hermanos Rosario I was surprised but yet pleased to see that they have a new production. It's been a while since their last release which was in 2003 and IMO it's an incredible production titled Swing a domicilio. I am a fan of traditional merengue and Los Hnos. R are pillars of the genre. Their albums always have the traditional hard hitting beats of merengue "golpe?to", wonderful acoustics and contagious rhythms. I have all their albums including the ones when To?o was part of the group. Not wanting to singularize because they are all good, they have some classics in their repertoire. As mentioned Swing a domicilio is fabulous but I also think they really made a comeback in the late 90's and into the new decade with Bomba 2000 and Los due?os del swing.

No need to convince me about buying this album. I will own a copy before year end. I will add it to the list of the few albums that I have purchased thus far this year. The one merengue album that I have been enjoying completely in 2007 is H?ctor Acosta's first album as a solo artist-Sigo siendo yo and I read in El Listin Diario this week that he has a new release coming out (or maybe it's already on the market) titled Mitad Mitad. As well, he has been nominated for a Cassandra Award. It's always interesting to see the public's response to music. I will be going out dancing next weekend, so I will listen out for any new music and especially songs by Los Hnos Rosario.

Thanks for the thread/post and que viva el merengue...dominicano.

-LDG.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
If you want to listen to good merengue, try Cherito. Only a couple of new singles and his old stuff from The NY Band, but excellent nonetheless.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thoughts about "merengue tradicional"-

This thread reminds of the many conversations I have with fellow Latin music lovers, connoisseurs and merengue specifically. Undoubtedly the Dominican artists have struggled over past few years. Many of the long standing groups that have upheld the traditional version of the genre have slowed down tremendously and have years between productions as opposed to the norm of a yearly production or album every two years. Los Hermanos Rosario are a prime example of this. Their incomparable career of thirty years + speaks for itself as well as the musical talent of the Rosario family.

However, the new generation of music lovers don't appreciate "merengue tradicional" and this has a lot to do with the slow down of the genre as well as the lack of talented artists. They much prefer the faster street merengue or what I call "mereguet?n" which is a mix of street merengue, house music and a little of Fulanito style all in one. Certainly this merengue is not to my liking but it has its audience and that is one reason why traditional artists have dropped in popularity.

Like anything preferences and tastes change from generation to generation and music is not an exception. The challenge for the traditional artists is to produce merengue that is true to its Dominican form but at the same time capture all audiences. I personally will not forsake artists and groups like Los Hnos Rosario, H?ctor Acosta, Rubby P?rez, Eddy Herrera, and Jossie Esteban (he has a new album out too titled Lo que no se ve no es). For me its the newer artists that have to prove themselves. One good album can't sustain an artist's career. Some come and some go and those are the artists I am more skeptical about. I can't wait to get AURA by Los Hnos Rosario and Mitad y Mitad by H?ctor Acosta as well as hear what's playing in the clubs next weekend. Music is such an inspiration for me and great reminder that life is meant to be enjoyed.

I found an article published in El Nacional this week about H?ctor Acosta's new release. He was supported by some of the best Dominican artists of the genre. The title Mitad y Mitad refers to the fact that it has five merengues and five bachatas. H?ctor has shown his versatility in both genres which only a few artists can do. Alex Bueno is another artist that is equally talented in both also. IMO, merengue will make its way back in fine form once we bridge the generational gap.

For those who wish to read about H?ctor Acosta's new album here's the article El Nacional, la voz de todos

?Mitad y mitad?, nombre del nuevo ?lbum, es una combinaci?n de cinco bachatas y cinco merengues en los que el cantante bonaense pone de manifiesto sus conocidas dotes de buen cantante- El Nacional.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Regresaron los reyes...

Homenaje a Los Hermanos Rosario-
Por Lesley D

Where are all the merengue enthusiasts? The OP's post/ thread is an excellent opportunity to pay tribute to a genre that is authentically Dominican, orchestrated best by Dominicans, danced the best by Dominicans, and will forever be Dominican. There are many artists who have represented the genre for decades and in their own right have gained the respect of their fans. Being as diverse as the rhythm is, there's a group or there are groups for everyone that appreciates good tropical music.

This thread in particular is about AURA, Los Hermanos Rosario's new release after a four year hiatus. This band is part of a family that has been involved in the music industry for decades and very representative of the genre and the category "merengue tradicional". A glance at their music trajectory is enough to understand what this band and other family members have contributed to Dominican merengue. As we all know, music is in constant change. Style, rhythm, instruments etc. go through a transformation and the biggest challenge is to continuously create music that appeals to the diverse tastes of music followers and age groups, while still maintaining the acoustic essence of the genre.

For anyone who truly likes Dominican merengue and understands its composition probably anticipated a good production from Los Hermanos Rosario. Follow your instincts and rely on their repertoire. When I buy a new album of a group that I like, I never sample the music prior to buying the cd. I like the joy of anticipating what the album has to offer. Knowing what to expect takes away the spark.

What I can say? The men from Higuey have not lost their touch. They have maintained their trademark and not too many other groups exemplify this style. Probably their best competitor is their brother To?o. In a nutshell, this album is terrific and yet another example of why Los Hermanos Rosario have earned the respect of their most loyal fans. Their contribution to Dominican merengue remains insurmountable and this album is just another addition to a legacy.

About the album, if you have followed their career, it's a must have. There are plenty of enjoyable and very danceable merengues. While the whole production is a gem, the songs that stand out IMO are songs #2 right to #10. I especially like ALO, Por ti, Higueyano ("Yo soy hig?eyano, de d?nde eres t?...") and Me voy pal pueblo. ALO is the promotional song but don't stop there. The whole album is worth listening to and can be enjoyed.

-LDG.