Guns??

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
I've read a lot about residents and ex-pats carrying guns in the DR. Is this really necessary? Seems like some are really passionate about the subject and insist on carrying guns for protection. I'd appreciate some feed back.

I have two hand guns (not that I ever use them). How hard would it be to bring them into the country?

One last thought...if I have a gun and a thief has a gun, one of us is getting shot. If I don't have a gun and a thief has a gun, one of us is getting robbed. I'd rather surrender my wallet than risk getting shot or actually shooting someone particualrly if I'm the foreigner.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
One last thought...if I have a gun and a thief has a gun, one of us is getting shot. If I don't have a gun and a thief has a gun, one of us is getting robbed. I'd rather surrender my wallet than risk getting shot or actually shooting someone particualrly if I'm the foreigner.

maybe or maybe not, who knows what a thief is thinking when he has a firearm pointing at you. Unarmed victims do get shot, I'd rather take my chances with a firearm, if the situation allows me to do so.

Sep 19, 2005

you cant bring it in.

as for your scenario...we have a woman member here who was shot in the throat at very close range while unarmed......after being robbed in her house.

Unarmed and a woman to boot...and the guy still felt the need to try and kill her.

owning guns is like owning a tooth brush...some people like them some people dont.

after you get a residency, you can BUY a handgun .....

there is a ban on the importation of firearms and ammunition in place right now.

if that got lifted..things might change...but it is burdensome and costly to try and import yourself.. and you would be exposed to the corruption prevailant in the country to go and pick up your firearm after it enters the country.......

good luck bob

jupe

Sep 7, 2007
you cant bring it in.

as for your scenario...we have a woman member here who was shot in the throat at very close range while unarmed......after being robbed in her house.

Unarmed and a woman to boot...and the guy still felt the need to try and kill her.

owning guns is like owning a tooth brush...some people like them some people dont.

after you get a residency, you can BUY a handgun .....

there is a ban on the importation of firearms and ammunition in place right now.

if that got lifted..things might change...but it is burdensome and costly to try and import yourself.. and you would be exposed to the corruption prevailant in the country to go and pick up your firearm after it enters the country.......

good luck bob

I like my toothbrush, and i'm not afraid to use it!

XXX

Banned
Nov 14, 2007
guns and using it

If you?re a foreigner u better think twice before shooting someone because the dominican authority won?t take it lightly on you, especially if the robber happens to be a cousin or family of theirs or something.

You never know who knows who around here, a lot of dominicans are connected like associates or something.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
If you?re a foreigner u better think twice before shooting someone because the dominican authority won?t take it lightly on you, especially if the robber happens to be a cousin or family of theirs or something.

You never know who knows who around here, a lot of dominicans are connected like associates or something.

Exactly what I was thinking..everyone knows someone..EXCEPT ME...:) So what's the point in carrying a gun if you won't really be able to fire it when need?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Exactly what I was thinking..everyone knows someone..EXCEPT ME...:) So what's the point in carrying a gun if you won't really be able to fire it when need?

you dont HAVE to fire it...you dont even have to show it....

but isnt it nice to have the option?

one point might be trying prevent someone from outright killing you!!

sometimes the bad guy just starts shooting.

id always take the option to carry...if available

bob

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Are there laws that outline shooting in self-defense or is it up to the "local network" to figure it out after you've been forced to actually discharge a firearm into some cops relative? With my luck I'd be in jail like that guy that tried to rob a police colonel...:)

Sep 19, 2005
Are there laws that outline shooting in self-defense or is it up to the "local network" to figure it out after you've been forced to actually discharge a firearm into some cops relative? With my luck I'd be in jail like that guy that tried to rob a police colonel...:)

frog....just stick your head in the sand...that works sometimes!! ha ha ha

seriously few people need a handgun....to survive.

worst comes to worst let them take your money and possessions...actually help them take them and be nice about it...and you have little chance of getting shot.

but that isnt much of a way to live either is it?

just make your choice and dont second guess yourself afterwards

good luck

bob

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Que es Tavina? What is Tavina? Is it like a TIVO? We just had our TiVo stolen. I'm serious...don't know what a TAVINA is?!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Que es Tavina? What is Tavina? Is it like a TIVO? We just had our TiVo stolen. I'm serious...don't know what a TAVINA is?!

That's Bob's (laurapasinifan) very beautiful girlfriend!

Don SantiagoDR

Read between the lines:
The fail-safe quote to use whenever someone disagrees with what you "Wrote".
It's not what you wrote that counts.
It's what your friends and you say it means, after you wrote it and someone disagrees.

Last edited: