Funny Friday True Tale!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Last Friday we were in Santo Domingo in the area of Alma Mater,Lope de Vega and M.Henriquez Urena.

Stopped at a red light when a jeepeta pulled up in the lane beside us - a larger, newer,more expensive jeepeta than our old Terrano.

The driver rolls down the window and starts waving,talking to us so the front seat passenger rolled down their window to see what he wanted......

" I have to go all the way to Herrera", he says, "and I'm running out of gasoline. Could you give me some money to buy gas because I don't have any!!"

Just then the light turned green so off we went, shaking our heads in disbelief and laughing our heads off.........

ONLY IN the DR!!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Could be.......

but two in the vehicle definitely looked Dominican and one of them actually was!!!;):bunny:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's a good one. Remember, for us gringos, money grows on trees back home and is disposable. Man, sometimes I can't believe how these urban legends are perpetuated in the DR.

I can't think of any other people on this planet who are more infatuated with the US and if I didn't know better, I would think the DR is just another State in the Union.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you guys miss the whole point. The guys were joking and were laughing out loud after they saw mommc's freeze in amazement. This is dominican humor and I have seen worse in santiago alone. My friends pull this sort of pranks all the time. Most dominicans just laugh it off but the gringos just don't get it.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
you guys miss the whole point. The guys were joking and were laughing out loud after they saw mommc's freeze in amazement. This is dominican humor and I have seen worse in santiago alone. My friends pull this sort of pranks all the time. Most dominicans just laugh it off but the gringos just don't get it.
AZB

I believe you but honestly have not seen a lot of this type of humor. Then again I hang with chopos so maybe that is the problem. :) The funny thing is that is a affluent Dom would try this with a normal Joe, I'm sure that they would be offended. This is a type of joking mainly reserved for the affluent and most Dom would probably consider the perpetrator a freco.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That Was ME!!!!!!

I ran out of gas about 3 blocks later trying to catch you!
"Cheap A$$ Kahnuks!"
;);););););););)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
jejejejejeje CC....but I'd have recognized you!!!

And NO....it wasn't a joke! The guy was serious.....(the white guy in the front seat could see his gas gauge and so could the Dominican in the back!)

Even the Dominican couldn't believe it and was highly offended that the guy had enough cojones to ask!

BTW I was in the back behind the driver so didn't hear what was said. Neither did the driver but the two on the passengers side did!

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't believe a thing, it was a stupid joke. The guys must have been drinking and ust came up with this joke. Look at how you are reacting, writing about it on Dr1.
AZB

P.S. I doubt if anyone saw his gsoline gauge or it it even possible to see it from that angle.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
maybe maybe, you just might find yourself on TV, the dominican (candid camera) program where they do pranks on people and then say "te estan facturando". People come up with funny pranks and perform them on people all over this country while filming them in candid camera.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nada nuevo......

Last Friday we were in Santo Domingo in the area of Alma Mater,Lope de Vega and M.Henriquez Urena.

Stopped at a red light when a jeepeta pulled up in the lane beside us - a larger, newer,more expensive jeepeta than our old Terrano.

The driver rolls down the window and starts waving,talking to us so the front seat passenger rolled down their window to see what he wanted......

" I have to go all the way to Herrera", he says, "and I'm running out of gasoline. Could you give me some money to buy gas because I don't have any!!"

Just then the light turned green so off we went, shaking our heads in disbelief and laughing our heads off.........

ONLY IN the DR!!!!
MommC, I am NOT saying you are wrong but this is NOTHING new.

Many moons ago, I was being driven by a friend of my father, on his brand new Mercedes and he DID exactly what you just told us.

I was NOT happy about it and I told him to never do that again when I am a passenger in his car and his excuse was that he just wanted to see the person's face expression. He said it was just a joke and that he knew the person was going to tell his friends that someone with a brand new Mercedes asked them for gas money and that he was going to be their "topic of the day".

Btw: Once I saw the passenger on a brand new Volvo roll down the window and butt-slap someone riding a bicycle!. Wahahahaha!!.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I usually ask sosua hookers, "where are the beautiful girls?" Hahahahaha.
AZB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have had many a joke with a Dominican in traffic jams or whilst stopped at red lights. Yes, some Dominicans do have a wicked sense of humour - the trick is a fast & sabre like response (with a smile of course).:cheeky:

Under these circumstances mine would probably have been ..... "I would love to help you out but I have just sold my Mercedez yeepetta & bought this load of junk so that I can afford the gas to go in it"!!:ermm:

Alternatively you could have said "Sorry, I have no money with me but if you need the petrol, lets just change yeepettas & I will use my credit card to buy petrol when your vehicle runs out of gas on me"!!:pirate:

Sorry MommC, I don't buy the seeing the gas guage of the other vehicle from your vehicle, both other passengers were telling you porkies!! Maybe it was the speedometer that they noticed as being stopped?? Good Funny Friday Tale though! ~ Grahame.:chinese:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Could be BB......

The guy in the other jeepeta wasn't smiling tho' so if it WAS a joke he managed to keep a prettyserious face while pulling it!:)

Anyhow.....the whole experience has been added to our "Only in the DR" file;)

:bunny:Maybe we should try it next time we're stopped in traffic in SD.

Can you imagine the reaction WE'D get!!!! jejejejejejejejej:D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
:bunny:Maybe we should try it next time we're stopped in traffic in SD.

Can you imagine the reaction WE'D get!!!! jejejejejejejejej:D
Yup!!! Most likely a damn good belly laugh & a LOT of respect for trying to joke with a joker@!! Let us know if you try to pull it on a Colonel though :paranoid: & we'll come visit you in the local Carcel!! :cheeky::ermm: ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
the white guy in the front seat could see his gas gauge and so could the Dominican in the back

Are you sure? Go park next to a jeep, sit in the front or back seat and see if you can see the other jeeps gas gauge. 99% of dashboard gauges are recessed , covered with reflective plastic, occluded by the steering wheel at that angle etc etc. It's "almost" impossible to see the gauge from the distance and angle that the driver or passenger of your jeep would have been at.

Then again.....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Some people will invent things just to cover up their mistakes.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I usually ask sosua hookers, "where are the beautiful girls?" Hahahahaha.
AZB

Whenever I've asked, they always tell me all the beautiful girls are in Santiago!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Like I said......I was sitting in the back......

Are you sure? Go park next to a jeep, sit in the front or back seat and see if you can see the other jeeps gas gauge. 99% of dashboard gauges are recessed , covered with reflective plastic, occluded by the steering wheel at that angle etc etc. It's "almost" impossible to see the gauge from the distance and angle that the driver or passenger of your jeep would have been at.

Then again.....

Behind the driver so I personally didn't see anything other than the driver of the other jeep talking to the front seat passenger. Didn't hear what was said either but the Dominican in the back seat beside me was incensed that the guy had the gall to ask for money.
I did see the guy pointing to the instrument panel but what he was pointing at I couldn't say-just know what the other passengers told me!

If it was a joke it was a good one 'cause the two passenger side passengers were shocked and PapaTony and I were 'amazed' when they told us what was said, then shook our heads and started laughing!

Having spent so much time here NOTHING really surprises us anymore and we figured it was just another attempt by a Dominican to 'score' some quick 'free' cash!:D;):cheeky: