Where can I rent a wheel chair in Jan thru Feb. 2008 around POP?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
My parents may come here form overseas for 2 months in mid January 2008.
They will most likely stay at an AI resort around Puerto Plata. My old man is 87 years old and occasionally uses a wheel chair.
In order not to schlep a wheel chair with them on their trip here, I would prefer to rent such a contraption around Puerto Plata.
Any idea where and whom from?

Also, if surprisingly anybody would know of beach wheel chairs available. Some can even go into the water.

Thanks! ... J-D.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
wheel chairs

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham last January, and my mom's friend was able to rent a wheel chair through our hotel, and had to pay a rental fee everyday. When you book your trip you need to get your travel agent or yourself to call the hotel ahead of time to reserve one. So when you arrive it will be waiting for you, I believe it was 20 us a day to rent.

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Not to go off topic, I hope, but we have a condo at Las Canas in Sosua which we will rent inclusive of a wheelchair and most of the handicapped access features one would need. There is no premium for these items, PM if this could help you.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Not to go off topic, I hope, but we have a condo at Las Canas in Sosua which we will rent inclusive of a wheelchair and most of the handicapped access features one would need. There is no premium for these items, PM if this could help you.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I'd prefer a chair without a condo attached to it... otherwise it gets too heavy to push around for my Mom :)

Btw., we are talking 40 to 60 days, so the rental should not exceed the value of a new chair. :ermm:

Thanks! ... J-D.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for the belly laugh J D Sauser.

When my old father-in-law still came to visit, we got him to bring down a foldable wheelchair. It worked out cheaper and much easier that way.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks for the belly laugh J D Sauser.

When my old father-in-law still came to visit, we got him to bring down a foldable wheelchair. It worked out cheaper and much easier that way.

I thought you guys might like the wink, Chris. ;)

Anyways, to whom it may concern and for future reference:
I found 2 sources so far:
  • The ASSISTEL office at the Costa Dorada Iberostar Hotel rents wheel chairs to tourist at a rate of USD 10.oo/day.
  • By a doctor who works at Centro Medico Bournigal, I was given a phone number of a company out of Santiago who rents all sort of medical equipment. Their phone number is: +1-809-581 5100. I just called them and they offer wheel chairs on a monthly base only for DOP 1800/month (USD 55.oo/month) + DOP 900 refundable deposit (for a fee they will also deliver and pickup). For longer period rentals (any time over 6 days), this looks like a bargain.
Thanks to all who contributed.

... J-D.