Just arrived - some travel questions

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Hi all

Have just flown into DR and spending 5 weeks to explore the country and its history, landscapes, people etc. Travelling independently in an anti-clockwise direction. The tourist office doesn?t open on weekends here in Santo Domingo, and only have the Caribbean Lonely Planet guide for wandering about DR. Wonder if anyone can answer my following questions:

1. Looking at visiting the La Romana cigar factory, and wonder if anyone can recommend simple, clean, central single room somewhere in town - looking to spend USD20-40 a night.

1a. Is there a bus stop near Zona Colonial where I could board rather than have to traipse out to the bus terminal? How easy is it to visit Altos de Chavon from La Romana?

2. Then looking at taking gua gua or bus to Bayahibe and spending a couple of nights there to visit PN Del Este and Cueva del Puente. Again, are there any suggestions on clean, quiet, central hotels, guesthouses with single room, costing around USD20-40 a night. Any recommendations on tours or guides to PN Del Este and what kind of trip would be recommended (I like hiking and natural attractions, rather than just spending the day on a beach).

3. What is the best way to get to Sabana de la Mar from Bayahibe? Head north to Higuey, or backtrack to San Pedro de Macoris and travel north to Hayo Mayor. What are the connections between towns en route by gua gua, or are there bus services that go direct?

4. Anyone stayed in Miches and would recommend staying there? My plan is to head to Sabana de la Mar and take trip to PN Los Haitses from there. Again, any recommendations on where to stay, or a trip - tour guide to take there?

5. Last question for now. If I get the afternoon ferry across to Samana, how easy is it to find a bus or gua gua to take me to Las Galeras? And again, any recommendations on where to stay there? And boat captains, tour operators who go to Playa Rincon.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above

amtrakker

p.s. taxi from airport to SD cost USD30. Hotel Freeman is perfectly located in Zona Colonial (USD33 a night over the internet), but the drums / concert didn?t stop last night until the wee hours. Have booked time in Hotel La Danae in Gazcue when I get back to SD in January (1000DOP a night).

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I wish I could give you concise answers but I'm afraid my directions have been Dominicanified. If I tried to tell you how to get somewhere, you'd get more of scenic tour than you wanted (I like to take LOTS of pix!)

However, I will commiserate with the drumming and music late into the night. You are unfortunately experiencing one of the negative sides of the lift on the end time of alcohol sales. While I have to say that the law did do serious damage to local businesses (Sun-Thursday 12 midnight and Fri & Sat at 2AM)...if one wants to sleep EVER & one is in earshot of a colmado, bar, disco or carwash the law did provide some period where you could count on quite. So, for the month of Dec, there will be lots of partying going on. By the time you come back (I'm not sure when the law kicks back in), you may have quiet even in the centrally located Zona Colonial. Gazcue is more residential & IMHO not as wild so hopefully you'll get some rest.

Good luck & enjoy your time here!

beberebozo

Feb 7, 2007
I believe your best bet for a bus to La Romana will be from the Caribe terminal via San Pedro de Macoris. I haven't stayed in La Romana but there are several hotel and cabana recommendations if you search the threads. Altos de Chavon should be easy from LR by either gua-gua or taxi. In Bayahibe the folks who run the Sea Vis tours also have a guesthouse called the Iguana which should show up in forum searches, the Hotel Bayahibe also gets favorable reviews. Their tours (the Sea Vis folks) should help you avoid the hordes from the AI's that descend daily for the Saona Island tour. Miches is supposed to be very nice and has been discussed in recent threads along with a hotel link or two. We're trying to plan a similar itinerary covering two weeks from the capital/JD on to Bayahibe and then Miches. Would be interested in hearing about your trip as you have time.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Is it possible to visit Altos de Chavon without paying the Casa De Campos day fee of $40USD? If so, what is the fee?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
hotel

right down the road from the cigar factory on the main drag is hotel olympio which is cheap. right in your price range. i've stayed there b4. its decent.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Seriously Chiri? Wow...that was the best part of being there from my perspective. I want to bring my kids to the Taino museum that is there. My dh and I went and it was wonderfully educational. My 9 year old has a Taino report right now and I think it would be relevant.

The grounds around Altos de Chav?n are really quite beautiful and I recommend this as a trip to anyone.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wish you had asked these questions a few days ago. We could have been more help.

I, too, can recommend the Hotel Olimpia. Just about in the middle of your price range.

HB

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
So it is worthwhile staying in La Romana rather than Bayahibe and take day trip to Isla Saona from there? Prefer smaller towns to cities if possible.

Again, any recommendations on tours or guides to PN Del Este and what kind of trip would be recommended (I like hiking and natural attractions, rather than just spending the day on a beach).

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I can't give specifics on where to stay but having been to both LR & Bayahibe, I think they are very different experiences. LR is one of the nicer smaller cities on the island (recall--I live near SPM) but it is a city of sorts. Bayahibe is a beautiful beach (we go to the public one), but caters to tourists. It depends on which experience you are looking for.

As for hiking, I really like the N Coast. We went to El limon falls on our drive back from La Samana last year (we didn't take the ferry because there are 5 of us and we wanted more options to explore). Because one of our kids absolutely freaked about getting on a horse to ride up to the falls, we hiked it. Not a particularly bright move after rain (at times we were knee deep in mud/horse manure) but nonetheless it was a lovely hike if one could get over the squishy feeling. We swam in the falls and a very lovely lunch. Another place to try is Las Terrenas.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Cuervas Maravillas might suit you too!

So it is worthwhile staying in La Romana rather than Bayahibe and take day trip to Isla Saona from there? Prefer smaller towns to cities if possible.

Again, any recommendations on tours or guides to PN Del Este and what kind of trip would be recommended (I like hiking and natural attractions, rather than just spending the day on a beach).

I had another thought...On the way from SPM to La Romana, there's a really nice side adventure for you: Cuervas Maravillas (it's a guided tour of the caves). It's relatively cheap and the guide speaks English and Spanish. There are outside and inside areas too view as well. On of the things that I really liked were the authenticated Taino petrogylphs and pictographs.:bunny:

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I sugest if you are going to go to Miches, go to El Seibo them Miches, has a terrific Landscape.