Outlet/Factory stores?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Timberland has a factory in the Zona Franca in Santiago. Do they, or other manufacturers there, have outlet stores?- D

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Timberland has a factory in the Zona Franca in Santiago. Do they, or other manufacturers there, have outlet stores?- D

I would expect not as most of the stuff in the Zona France is exclusively for importing and thus don't pay local taxes. You have to wait to they ship it back here, with the 100% or more markup. :glasses:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I would expect not as most of the stuff in the Zona France is exclusively for importing and thus don't pay local taxes. You have to wait to they ship it back here, with the 100% or more markup. :glasses:

We have a clothing store in Sosua, and I buy Timberlands in NY to ship to the store. Seems a little crazy when they are probably made in our backyard.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Ninety percent (90%) of the products produced in the Zona Franca MUST be exported. HOWEVER, seconds and rejects often make their way into the "Dollar" stores. There are several in SPM. My favorite is Dollarazo. Buy beware though. There ARE defects and it is up to you to figure out what they are and whether they are important. Many times the defects on big name manufactures are cosmetic (loose threads) and not functional.) Other times they are misspellings of names (have you seen all the SOSSA t-shirts-LOL) Anyway, we've picked up some great deals. If you don't mind taking a needle and thread to something or dabbing a bit of permanent marker on to hide a defect, they can be great buys.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ninety percent (90%) of the products produced in the Zona Franca MUST be exported. HOWEVER, seconds and rejects often make their way into the "Dollar" stores. There are several in SPM. My favorite is Dollarazo. Buy beware though. There ARE defects and it is up to you to figure out what they are and whether they are important. Many times the defects on big name manufactures are cosmetic (loose threads) and not functional.) Other times they are misspellings of names (have you seen all the SOSSA t-shirts-LOL) Anyway, we've picked up some great deals. If you don't mind taking a needle and thread to something or dabbing a bit of permanent marker on to hide a defect, they can be great buys.

I thought that might be the case. So the thing to do would be to make direct contact with an insider. My guess is that all "seconds" are meant to be destroyed.- D

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I thought that might be the case. So the thing to do would be to make direct contact with an insider. My guess is that all "seconds" are meant to be destroyed.- D

Not so, being the cheapscape that I am I have bought many namebrand seconds legally in the States over the years - I learned that from my Mom - hey, they will always be better than hand-me-downs. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is one in Santiago that I have shown to some visitors: It is called RETAL and is located on Ave Imbert in Gurabito. they have some good buys but you have to pick and choose with care.

The people that I have taken there did say that they were most favorably impressed with the prices.

HB