Good Neuro in SD

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Hi guys,

We are coming down on the 18th and will be in SD until the 30th of December when we cruise, then we will be back to the DR on the 6th of January and come back home to Canada on the 10th.

Can anybody recomend a good neurologist that will be able to see my daugther between the days when I am in the DR? That would be Dec. 19-21 or 26-28 in Dec and 6-9 inclusive in Jan.

I am trying to get someone local that can see my daugther for a seizure disorder which at the time is controlled, but I can't find a good neuro in Toronto that I feel confident about,,, I know you probably think this is not for real or I am paranoid,,,, but I already had 4 and continue to feel that she gets treated like another "Chart" not a real human child with a medical condition.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

CB

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Have you ever considered the Hospital for Sick Children in downtonwn TO? I would assume they have someone on board to treat your daughters condition? Good luck in your pursuits though.
Not sure of your daughters age but I would for sure lean towards a neurologist specializing in pediatrics though .

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Are you looking for a neurologist or a neurosurgeon??

They are two different specialties however both treat seizure disorders.

Also I must agree that Sick Kids is the place to go. Not sure if Dr. Humphreys is still head of the "Neuro" dept but he is/was definitely one of the best if not THE best when we were 'involved'.

If you feel that's she's just being treated like a 'chart' it's time to have a heart to heart with her physician. (If you need some pointers just ask....I've had LOTS of experience in getting DR's to quit beating around the bush and stop using language that you need to be a neurologist to understand. Once you make them start talking PLAIN English it's amazing how well they respond!)

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My wife was very impressed by Dr. Elvis Lopez at the Plaza de la Salud in SD. Her neurologist in Santiago referred her to him, and she felt he was very engaged in his work and very smart. - D

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
I can recommend Dr. Rafael o. Fermin Delgado for neuro-radiology if you need that too. I have never used his services but I know him and I know he's a very smart and nice person.

Contact him at drfermin@hotmail.com, office: 809-565-9989 ext 2151, cel: 809-723-6386.

If he asks who you got this from, tell him his brother's English teacher :D (he speaks English).

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Thank you guys

MommC and DRloca, she had 3 neurologists from sick kids,,, including the head of th department. the first one didn't even belived me when I told them she was having seizures and I had to almost hit them with a bat to get an EEG,, she will be 5 in Jan and her seizures are called Myoclonics (drop attacks) they are very fast and they look like those little dolls on the Robactixe (sp) commercial, as if she was falling asleep,, like the old people "cabezeando sentado".

I asked for a video EEG and they flat out said no,,, so you know,,,there is no way to get it here as we don't have pay-out-of-your-pocket EEG practices here in TO and I am hoping to get it done down in the DR..... I want to know what is going on with her brain.

I talked and talked, but they don't listen,,, they said she is fine,, but they continue to medicate.... if they are no longer happening in her brain,,, she should no continue taking medication,,,but all they said is "They are controlled" and I hate that expression,,, I am afraid or a break when we travel and I would like her to have a neuro in SD that we can contact if we need to.

Her pediatrician in SD is Dr. Mena from CGO, but I tried for over 2 weeks now to contact him with no luck.

Thank you for the referals!!!!

CB