Another life saved from the sea in Cabarete

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
A great rescue again just now thanks to a brave Dominican keeping the tourist afloat until the Politur arrived with a boat and then a helicopter.
If case any of you dont know if anyone gets into trouble in the sea contact the nearest politur police they have an emergency team to deal with it

Thats the fifth this year alone in front of my apartment

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
A great rescue again just now thanks to a brave Dominican keeping the tourist afloat until the Politur arrived with a boat and then a helicopter.
If case any of you dont know if anyone gets into trouble in the sea contact the nearest politur police they have an emergency team to deal with it

Thats the fifth this year alone in front of my apartment

We saw it also... BUT our reaction was, how about getting a jet ski???? First a dominican tried to swim out....missed the couple by 1 km... then a Politur boat (plastic canoe) after an hour or so... hmmmm

Jet ski...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We saw it also... BUT our reaction was, how about getting a jet ski???? First a dominican tried to swim out....missed the couple by 1 km... then a Politur boat (plastic canoe) after an hour or so... hmmmm

Jet ski...
An hour?
Wow. That must have been one tough cookie to have lasted that long out there, waiting to be rescued.
Was it a riptide type thing?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
An hour?
Wow. That must have been one tough cookie to have lasted that long out there, waiting to be rescued.
Was it a riptide type thing?[/QUOTE

It was a rip tide. 1 hour... We were there 40 minutes and he was way out so...maybe ladybird knows more.

Long time yes...it was an old guy but like Ladybird said a domincan helped him out. Huge waves...

And then the helicopter arrived and they drag them to shore and safety....hmmm put the bill on room xx ...

5 times.... so a jet ski???? Or maybe the dominican baywatch think it is more profitable with helicopter rescues?? Christmas is close...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A jet ski rescue team on most beach areas seems a good idea - maybe Ayuntaminiento or Politur could be persuaded to fund one?

I don't know if anyone else feels the same as me but I find the first report misses a few salient points whilst the second seems to contradict aspects of the first - am I missing something? This causes me to ask a few more questions.
Was this ONE tourist or a couple?
The Dominican that swam out, was he the one who kept the tourist (couple) afloat?
If not, where did the other Dominican come from?
The helicopter that came & rescued the tourist (couple) was that a politur helicopter? I am presuming the helicopter WAS the vehicle that eventually effected the rescue?
How did the tourist (couple) get into trouble in the first place & how far out were they?

About one hour for a politur boat (plastic canoe) to get to the scene DOES sound sort of "working with the urgency deemed necessary for an emergency operation to Dominican Timescales"! :ermm: :cheeky:~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Okay .... Thanks DR MPE, you were responding as I asked my questions. So it was ONE person, not a couple? The HELICOPTER was the rescue vehicle NOT the politur boat (plastic canoe). ~ Grahame.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Okay .... Thanks DR MPE, you were responding as I asked my questions. So it was ONE person, not a couple? The HELICOPTER was the rescue vehicle NOT the politur boat (plastic canoe). ~ Grahame.

The rescue operation was a joke... I arrived when the tourist and the dominican were way out in the ocean so I do not know how it happened.

I have been here for 6 years, I know how the things here works (or not) , but I guess some of the tourist watching this were in chock.

Baywatch:

One dominican that hardly could swim entering the water with clothes, no fins... he missed the couple yes... by close to a mile.
Plastic canoe and play paddles after appr. 1 hour... Politurs effort

Then the helicopter came (military I think) and rescued them.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Baywatch:

One dominican that hardly could swim entering the water with clothes, no fins... he missed the couple yes... by close to a mile.
Plastic canoe and play paddles after appr. 1 hour... Politurs effort

Then the helicopter came (military I think) and rescued them.

Sounds like a dangerous portion of the beach. Do they have warning signs posted? Why do they have so many rescues on that part of the beach? If they already know it's dangerous then why aren't they better prepared to deal with the inevitable?

N

naturelover

where is the most dangerous sea area around cabarete....im always amazed how far out some people swim

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Sounds like a dangerous portion of the beach. Do they have warning signs posted? Why do they have so many rescues on that part of the beach? If they already know it's dangerous then why aren't they better prepared to deal with the inevitable?

Dangerous water:

This happened between Cabarete main beach and La boca... 30 minutes walk from Cabararete that is. I would say that the water is dangerous all the way from the end of cabarete main beach and la boca.

There are no signs, but then common sense should stop most people from swimming there. The ocean was really rough yesterday.

Better prepared...it is the DR. NOTHING and there are quite a lot of hotels there.

The old guy was lucky that the dominican reached him, I doubt he would have made it by himself. There were big waves and rip tide.

I would like to see the bill for the rescue though.... huhhhhhh:ermm:

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007

Really??? Will they actually send him a bill? What's the cost of a non-swimming but well meaning Dominican, a plastic canoe and a helicopter? 5 million DOP...:)?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
No there is no bill for rescue, yes there are warning signs, but this was a Russian that maybe didnt understand and signs wont work, Ive asked for red flags to be posted now. Its the dangerous undercurrent in this area that causes the problems, it is there all the time. the sea bed regresses which is very unusual but this is why it is so attractive to windsurfers, this sea is only 1 of 5 in the world that has this. But it is dangerous for swimmers and divers.
One terrific very experienced windsurfer saved 2 others some time before, he told us that one he had saved actually went back into the water at a later date!!! That surfer took 40 mins to get back to shore with the guy he rescued and even though he knew how to read the sea and tide it was tough and the sea even looked calm on that day. Wonderful very brave guy.
But some people think they are great swimmers and just wont listen.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
where is the most dangerous sea area around cabarete....

in my opinion, the area from the east end of the bay (near Velero) eastward toward la boca. those wading & even strong swimmers can have problems out there at times with the currents.

Cabarete bay itself is normally not bad for wading or for decent swimmers

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007

Yes...that's a big concern. A strong under current with calm seas...heck I'd jump in without giving it a thought...I am a strong swimmer (15 years of competitive swimming, 4 hours of practice per day) but even I know that I'm no match for the sea. This beach location sounds like a dangerous trap.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Yes...that's a big concern. A strong under current with calm seas...heck I'd jump in without giving it a thought...I am a strong swimmer (15 years of competitive swimming, 4 hours of practice per day) but even I know that I'm no match for the sea. This beach location sounds like a dangerous trap.

Anyone with real experience of any sea knows well you should always respect the sea. I used to dive and have done in different parts of the world, there are dangers in any ocean, what happens with the sea bed here is, it regresses, which is unusual. I had a friend visit who does advanced training for the SAS in Germany and even he got into trouble here and was surprised at the strength of the undercurrent. Very experienced windsurfers can probably explain it better than I. It is not a dangerous trap so dont
exaggerate, it is merely father mer smiling on the naive. People experience difficulties in any country in any ocean, it all looks so inviting to the innocent visitor. Generally here on Sosua and Cabarete tourist beaches there are no concerns. The only ones I know that have had problems have been drunken folk that do silly things.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No there is no bill for rescue, yes there are warning signs, but this was a Russian that maybe didnt understand and signs wont work, Ive asked for red flags to be posted now. Its the dangerous undercurrent in this area that causes the problems, it is there all the time. the sea bed regresses which is very unusual but this is why it is so attractive to windsurfers, this sea is only 1 of 5 in the world that has this. But it is dangerous for swimmers and divers.
One terrific very experienced windsurfer saved 2 others some time before, he told us that one he had saved actually went back into the water at a later date!!! That surfer took 40 mins to get back to shore with the guy he rescued and even though he knew how to read the sea and tide it was tough and the sea even looked calm on that day. Wonderful very brave guy.

I am sure there was no "bill" no "invoice", as sure as I am that he had to pay them off big. Quite a few PN and Politur and the helicopter crew - they do not do it for free.

We walked the beach from cabarete to La Boca and we did not notice any signs, maybe there were but then not that clearly marked. On the other hand like I said before - common sense says that you should not swim there... In DR you need to use your common sense, swimming, driving etc etc.

wstrange

Jan 5, 2007
We have a condo in that area, so I am curious as to what specifically makes that stretch of beach more dangerous? Other than the obvious large shore break and waves!

Are there outgoing (rip) tides, or is there a prevailing current which takes people off shore?

Usually you can swim sideways to get out of a outgoing eddy. Was there an off shore wind that day?

Thanks

Dangerous water:

This happened between Cabarete main beach and La boca... 30 minutes walk from Cabararete that is. I would say that the water is dangerous all the way from the end of cabarete main beach and la boca.

There are no signs, but then common sense should stop most people from swimming there. The ocean was really rough yesterday.

Better prepared...it is the DR. NOTHING and there are quite a lot of hotels there.

The old guy was lucky that the dominican reached him, I doubt he would have made it by himself. There were big waves and rip tide.