getting used to the culture

lauramarie1514

Jul 18, 2007
hi5.com
I just wanted to talk to some of the women who are in relationships with dominican men who come from different cultures. I have live over in Higuey for three months out of this year and I feel as though I am part of the culture(dispite my skin color and my lack of speaking spaninsh perfectly) but I'm not sure if I could be the ideal wife for my dominican boyfriend. How long does it take to become a part of the culture, and in what ways does it change a person??? If I could hear some stories from sucessful women that have lived in the dr with their husbands it would help me alot...thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Short answer is NEVER.

Just a fact of life. My mom lived in WVa for over thirty years and was always asked:
"Where at y'all from?"

And wait until you catch him cheating on you...

HB

N

naturelover

you cant become part of someone elses culture....what a strange question.....i wouldnt expect to turn chinese if i lived there long enough....celebrate your differences as i assume thats what attracted him in the first place

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
you cant become part of someone elses culture....what a strange question.....i wouldnt expect to turn chinese if i lived there long enough....celebrate your differences as i assume thats what attracted him in the first place

I agree with naturelover.
You can immerse yourself in the DR culture, but also appreciate and represent the culture you were brought up in. Standing apart from the norm is not always a bad thing.;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I live here. I have been with a Dominican man for 6 years and married to him for 3. Whilst you can never be 100% dominican you can adapt and change. I never expect him to be on time - we have 2 time lines - english time and dominican time! You will become more laid back - and that i find is not a bad thing. And maybe you will become less selfish and more generous. But certain parts of your culture you can never change. The problem you will have is the better you can adapt - the happier you will be, because if you try to be true to your upbringing it will only bring you pain. For example I looked after all the new cars I had in the UK. If it had a scratch I was concerned. Here, my two year old camionetta is full of scratches and I don't care. If it was me in the UK I would be devastated, but me here - it's fine. For more info feel free to pm me

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Part of the Culture

.... I feel as though I am part of the culture.... How long does it take to become a part of the culture...?

Read the above and am asking myself, should you not know?

How about HB's prediction?
Would you mind his (almost certain) cheating on you?
It's part of the 'culture', you know. ;)

Janin