Woman robbed in front of Banco Popular in JD

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I just spoke to a friend who had been at Banco Popular in New JD. He said the woman in front of him at the bank left & no more than 2 minutes later came running back screaming & crying that she had been robbed. The woman was a gringa but spoke fluent Spanish for whatever that is worth.

That's all I know...It happened in broad daylight across from Costa Del Sol. Purse snatchings happen everywhere but this was pretty darn bold. I've been mugged in LA, although I grew up in NY and NEVER had any issues there.

Beware!! Always pay attention to your surroundings.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
As long as this world conists of "haves" and "have nots" we'll continue to see this issue everywhere, not just in the DR. At least she wasn't shot and killed over a few pesos.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is amazing!

It's just not news or worth posting an alarm. Think about it for a moment. Lady gets purse snatched in front of bank. Of course, what better place?
Or, after leaving a cambio, Western Union--happens everyday of the week all over the world.

I just can't see the reason to yell "FIRE" on the web.

Last edited:

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
It's just not news or worth posting an alarm. Think about it for a moment. Lady gets purse snatched in front of bank. Of course, what better place?
Or, after leaving a cambio, Western Union--happens everyday of the week all over the world.

I just can't see the reason to yell "FIRE" on the web.

For someone when it happens in Juan Dolio there is always a BIG reason :paranoid: :ermm: :bored:

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I just spoke to a friend who had been at Banco Popular in New JD. He said the woman in front of him at the bank left & no more than 2 minutes later came running back screaming & crying that she had been robbed. The woman was a gringa but spoke fluent Spanish for whatever that is worth.

That's all I know...It happened in broad daylight across from Costa Del Sol. Purse snatchings happen everywhere but this was pretty darn bold. I've been mugged in LA, although I grew up in NY and NEVER had any issues there.

Beware!! Always pay attention to your surroundings.

When did this happen?
I've got my office in Costa del Sol looking right at the bank and I haven't heard anything. I'll check with my security guards

N

naturelover

i wouldnt post anything someone told you unless you actually witnessed the incident.....

cuas

May 29, 2006
When my sister goes to the bank or casa de cambio she takes a motoconcho without telling him where is she going. Then she tells him to leave her in front of the bank and to wait for her. Que tiguera.

N

naturelover

how confoosing how does he know when hes there if she doesnt tell him where to go.....sorry i had to say that....lol

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Well, I just talked to (and confirmed that I understood) the guy who told me and the description of the woman sounds like Matilda (please don't let it be--like she needs that on top!) He even had guests with him who witnessed it. I don't know if they stuck around for a "police report" the way one would in the US.

Having an office in Costa del Sol could very well insulate you from the sound of just about anything (I believe it was designed that way!)

If anyone else hears about this, please post info. I'm not trying to spread a rumor but as we all know, you won't necessarily read it in the paper (was it Joe Jackson who wrote that song "Sunday Papers?" I would ask you, IF you heard that someone was raped or murdered and you didn't see it, what would you do? Isn't it far better to report it?

Jun 18, 2007
I was told by our security guards that the lady in question arrived in a cab with her "marido". Her "marido" went to the ATM to get money out but didn't have the code, he asked then the lady for the code. The guard of the bank said to the lady that it's not customary that someone gives out his code, her reply was "dejalo el es mi marido".
They couldn't get money for whatever reason so the marido left his "wife" at the bank and took off.
The lady appeared to be a gringa.
That's all I heard except that our guards were also mentioning that it looked like a sankie relationship going wrong and that the guy wanted to get paid for his services but who knows.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was told by our security guards that the lady in question arrived in a cab with her "marido". Her "marido" went to the ATM to get money out but didn't have the code, he asked then the lady for the code. The guard of the bank said to the lady that it's not customary that someone gives out his code, her reply was "dejalo el es mi marido".
They couldn't get money for whatever reason so the marido left his "wife" at the bank and took off.
The lady appeared to be a gringa.
That's all I heard except that our guards were also mentioning that it looked like a sankie relationship going wrong and that the guy wanted to get paid for his services but who knows.
As opposed to a sanky relationship going right? ;)
Just kidding, but you know what I mean.
Like I said in another thread.
Remove one testicle for the first offense, the other for a second.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
ROFLOL!!! Thanks for the very good laugh (although the stitches in my tummy aren't so sure they liked it!)

Well, in some ways this makes me feel a bit better. Not that the woman deserved to have anything taken, but in this case it sounds like it took "two to Tango!"

For everyone's amusement...if I had a dollar for every time some Dominican said "Sanki Panki" to me...I'd be able to afford a much better house! The funny part is that first I tell them I'm married--that doesn't discourage them AT ALL! Then I say "I have 3 kids--all boys" BUT that seems to ENCOURAGE THEM. So, one of my guy friends finally told me "That just means 'you put out!'" So, I stopped telling them that. Then the next approach is they ask me if I want more kids? The first few times I'd say "No, I'm not adopting you." My 17 year old eventually pointed out that they were trying to tell me that they'd be happy to GIVE me more (as in MAKING more babies with me.) It was also my 17 year old who told me that I just had to stop SMILING at everyone because that meant "Come on, hit on me." I just naturally smile so this has been quite an adjustment. So, now you have my experiences with about 1/2 of the DR males.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
For everyone's amusement...if I had a dollar for every time some Dominican said "Sanki Panki" to me...I'd be able to afford a much better house! The funny part is that first I tell them I'm married--that doesn't discourage them AT ALL! Then I say "I have 3 kids--all boys" BUT that seems to ENCOURAGE THEM. So, one of my guy friends finally told me "That just means 'you put out!'" So, I stopped telling them that. Then the next approach is they ask me if I want more kids? The first few times I'd say "No, I'm not adopting you." My 17 year old eventually pointed out that they were trying to tell me that they'd be happy to GIVE me more (as in MAKING more babies with me.) It was also my 17 year old who told me that I just had to stop SMILING at everyone because that meant "Come on, hit on me." I just naturally smile so this has been quite an adjustment. So, now you have my experiences with about 1/2 of the DR males.

You're being WAY TO NICE and that'll encourage anyone...NO said in a nice way just means that he needs to try harder...the words "get lost moron" need to become part of your vocabulary.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Here's the problem, in my world (let's just say most of my life has been in the US), 40-something year old women are NOT hit on by 15-16 year old "boys." SO I guess I'm a bit dense (naive when it comes to this.) I would have been prime bate at 20 because I WAS a huge flirt and "played the game." But I'm NOT looking and just being myself.

SO, go ahead and tell me the best way in Spanish (DOMINICAN SPANISH) to say "Get lost moron." I've used "no molestame" and various versions of ?V?yase a idiota! but even then people tell me I'm being too polite. Do I need to hit them over the head? This is particularly bad when I'm body surfing at Playa Caribe.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I forgot to share another good one: Matilda had to tell me NOT to dance anymore dances with a particular Dominican guy at Giulia's because in his book, it was a prelude to sex! If she wants to share her story about it, I'll leave that up to her. Suffice it to say that SHE convinced me very quickly!

Jun 18, 2007
Here's the problem, in my world (let's just say most of my life has been in the US), 40-something year old women are NOT hit on by 15-16 year old "boys." SO I guess I'm a bit dense (naive when it comes to this.) I would have been prime bate at 20 because I WAS a huge flirt and "played the game." But I'm NOT looking and just being myself.

SO, go ahead and tell me the best way in Spanish (DOMINICAN SPANISH) to say "Get lost moron." I've used "no molestame" and various versions of ?V?yase a idiota! but even then people tell me I'm being too polite. Do I need to hit them over the head? This is particularly bad when I'm body surfing at Playa Caribe.

Some barrio slang "largarte" or "vete para la ...."
It's not very ladylike but you'll get the message accross

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
THANKS...Yes, I've heard Largarte (which translates as "loosen you" which could be interpreted completely the OPPOSITE way if we weren't in the DR, I think.)

I think I've managed to completely throw off the topic of this thread, which I started;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Tell them

"Porque no te vas adonde el sol no brilla"

"Why don't you go where the sun does not shine'';)