Why live in the DR?

kpokpokpo

Dec 3, 2007
Hello, my name is Kevin. I live in wintry Wyoming. I'm 50 years old and am taking a college course in basic Spanish. I missed one class, where la profesora assigned students to each research an hispanic country. Apparently the DR is the only country none of the students were interested in.

So please, just so I can get a decent grade ;-), someone tell me what's good about living there, and perhaps what's bad. My research so far gives me glimpses of the long history of the island, from Columbus to the present day.

Why live in the DR, rather than Mexico or other hispanic countries?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

kpokpokpo

Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the url. I read all 12 pages and still don't get it. Okay, you guys have sunny, warm weather constantly. But so does most every other country at that latitude. I didn't find out what makes DR better than Mexico or Spain or what. No matter, I gave my report to the class and they applauded when I was done. One guy said he'd look into vacationing there.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'll guess 99% of us just ended up here for several random reasons. Almost none of us did what you indicate, sat down with a map, did a lot of research on different contries, compared them, and finaly choosed the DR.
Most was probably here on vacation, and just liked it here, and some probably had friends and family here before they came.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I'd been to many other islands in the Caribbean - this one fit the bill for me. It is big enough and diverse enough to be interesting. It is never boring. I love the music, the dance, the beaches - both calm and rough - the topography is different from one part to another..... there are many opportunities here and it is still (in some parts) a less expensive place to live!

kpokpokpo

Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the replies. After two hours spent shoveling snow this morning, a warm climate is sounding pretty good. I wonder what the job prospects are for a veterinarian with minimal Spanish skills? ;-)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Need A Vet

Thanks for the replies. After two hours spent shoveling snow this morning, a warm climate is sounding pretty good. I wonder what the job prospects are for a veterinarian with minimal Spanish skills? ;-)

Well, I for one think there's a need for a well-trained vet here. There are more un-altered animals on this island than anywhere I've been. Then there are the animals infested with parasites. Oh yes, there's an abundance of work here for you.

Of course, as with my volunteer work at the orphanage clinic, you'd have to be willing to work for FREE...but you could perfect your Spanish while being Dr. Doolittle (you DO speak animal, correct?)

N

naturelover

there are plenty of dogs that need castrating here ......some have four legs

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thanks for the url. I read all 12 pages and still don't get it. Okay, you guys have sunny, warm weather constantly. But so does most every other country at that latitude. I didn't find out what makes DR better than Mexico or Spain or what. No matter, I gave my report to the class and they applauded when I was done. One guy said he'd look into vacationing there.

Porque aqui 'ta el meneo! :D

I have had the privilege to live at a couple of those "dream" beach-sand-sun and palm tree location across the world.
My experience has been, that if one decides to live at such a location just for the sun-sand-beach and palm trees, one is most like not going to last, because the local culture will get you.
Most who leave, bitching, do so because they couldn't cope with it. Living where people vacation is not like vacationing either. It has nothing to do with it.
You will find that those who came for the right reason(s) and stay mostly came for the particular culture and then only the sun, the sand, the beaches and the palm trees (which one can find all over the world).
Otherwise, I would still live in Florida or the Costa Blanca or the Pacific coast of Ecuador or could have gone to Thailand or Bali, Tahiti or the Seychelles or play my little steel guitar on Maui instead.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry I came late to this post....

To answer your latest query, a good vet should do well here, at least that is my thinking.
Especially a vet with large animal experience willing to deal with small animals as well.
Set up in in good place to live like Santiago or Puerto Plata or La Romana (might have some competition there) or Punta Cana, ad deal with people's pet problems...

Could be interesting and lucrative if properly done.

HB

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Sorry I came late to this post....

To answer your latest query, a good vet should do well here, at least that is my thinking.
Especially a vet with large animal experience willing to deal with small animals as well.
Set up in in good place to live like Santiago or Puerto Plata or La Romana (might have some competition there) or Punta Cana, ad deal with people's pet problems...

Could be interesting and lucrative if properly done.

HB

. . . off hand HB, do you know the requirements for licensing of veterinarians in the DR?

In other words: Is licensing required? If so is it at more or less automatic for North American Licensed Vets? Are there any quirks that one should be aware of?

I'm also a veterinarian and am more or less retired from full-time. Yes I could use the search function and our friend Gooogle --- and I will. But if you have any information for myself and kpokpokpo . . .

I'm also fed up with snow. I don't know where my colleague the OP is from but in Nova Scotia we're already getting paid back for the past three moderate winters.