Entry/Exit documents the Dominican Republic

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
A friend arrived yesterday from the states but does not have the normal document we had years ago when we arrived and was also required to exit the country.

I'm a resident now so I don't complete nor retain any forms any more when I arrive and leave the country.

Sorry I do not have the exact details of the form, perhaps its not needed any more. My concern is when my friend leaves in 2 weeks will he have a problem at the airport because he does not have this form? I plan to visit the airport Wednesday and ask around as we don't want to wait until he leaves to address this issue. thanks everyone.

A

apostropheman

i believe you are referring to the tourist visa that you pay $10 for.

they changed the procedure some time ago and now just after you pay for it you hand it to an official, as part of the immigration procedure, and do not have to worry about it anymore.

it's in you hand for minutes only then gone...why they bother to print them at all is beyond me...they should just use a $10 bill :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
A friend arrived yesterday from the states but does not have the normal document we had years ago when we arrived and was also required to exit the country.

I'm a resident now so I don't complete nor retain any forms any more when I arrive and leave the country.

Sorry I do not have the exact details of the form, perhaps its not needed any more. My concern is when my friend leaves in 2 weeks will he have a problem at the airport because he does not have this form? I plan to visit the airport Wednesday and ask around as we don't want to wait until he leaves to address this issue. thanks everyone.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
One more question. So how do they know if you've over stayed your tourist visa time when you leave? Thought if you overstayed your toursit card you had to pay a certain amount when you departed.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
They look for the entry stamp on your passport!

;)
We ALWAYS have to pay extra.

Now if you are not travelling with a passport I haven't a clue how they 'catch' you overstaying your visitors visa.......:paranoid:

A

apostropheman

before i started traveling to the DR with a passport i used my drivers license and birth certificate...which was originally easy to do but got more complicated as time went on.

when you travel with a passport they scan the barcode and have all of your info, including picture, in their computer. when traveling with other ID they do not so they started pulling people aside and taking their photo with a webcam. that way they had a timestamped pic in their system. they also stamped the back of my birth certificate.

that enabled them to check the dates easily when you exit and establish the time you entered and calculate any applicable fines just like they would with your passport. :)
;)

Now if you are not travelling with a passport I haven't a clue how they 'catch' you overstaying your visitors visa.......:paranoid:

A

apostropheman

de nada :)
Wonderful, thank you apostropheman. What a relief! thanks......Phil
i've spent far too much time, in the past, frantically searching my carry on for the old tourist visa before trying to go throught immigration :cheeky::bunny::bunny:. while i still think it's silly it's a much easier system for the traveler. :)

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
One more question. So how do they know if you've over stayed your tourist visa time when you leave? Thought if you overstayed your toursit card you had to pay a certain amount when you departed.

They check the entry date on your passport.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
;)

MommC,

Is there a set amount you have to pay or is it dependant on the length of overstay. And how much do you have to pay?

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
MommC,

Is there a set amount you have to pay or is it dependant on the length of overstay. And how much do you have to pay?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/63900-how-long-can-i-stay-dr.html

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Just a little help for you there bud. I found this info in three seconds using the search function. Remember, "SEARCH" is your friend. :)

Take care

R

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Thanks R. As a new member of DR1 I have made extensive use of Search but this time I guess I typed before I thought.

ar

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks everyone for your replies, they put us at ease. Yes my friend has a passport and all other appropriate id, so he is good to go.

Finn_ish

Oct 20, 2007
Happy hour

I was a bit concerned about all this aswell before my trip to DR in October.

The immigration card you get when you arrive (10USD) is in your hand for max. 1 minute.

However...

When I left DR (POP) I had a strange "happy hour" at the airport.

There was no 20 USD tourist tax at all at the departure, instead the woman smiled and told me a few times "happy hour" when I tried to give her money.

And I also stayed 18 days so they could have charged 300 pesos aswell for overstaying, but they did not.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
When I left DR (POP) I had a strange "happy hour" at the airport.

There was no 20 USD tourist tax at all at the departure, instead the woman smiled and told me a few times "happy hour" when I tried to give her money.

And I also stayed 18 days so they could have charged 300 pesos as well for overstaying, but they did not.

Somedays the bear gets you -- and somedays you get the bear. How do you fare at games of chance?