Propinas

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Since my gringo passcedula is almost filled up, on my last trip I thought that I should have my nongringo passcedula stamped...POP immigration guy was most friendly but he casually asked me for a propina...I was like....why not, I keep paying propinas to everyone when I am here, but I asked him, ain't U worried, there're cameras everywhere....he smiled...non te preocupes amigo...then I asked him why I was never asked for a propina when I entered with the gringo passcedula and he said that they cannot asked for it since the gringos do not understand the concept of propina
Just an experience...

Sep 19, 2005
ha ha ha...it is not a bride...it is a obligatory Propina!! ha ha ha ha ha

yeah us gringos dont understand a lot!( that sounds like an oxymoron!! ha ha)

thanks

bob

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Just trying to understand the concept as a gringo.

Propina means tip right (aka bribe)...gringo's understand bribe just fine or am I missing something in the translation?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Do mind translating what *gringo passcedula* and *nongringo passcedula* are?
I assume one of them is a US Passport? What is the other?

I have NEVER paid a propina to immigration entering the country on any of my Passports. Aduana is a different story.

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
tambo it is because you ARE a gringo.

maybe the OP has a dominican passport as well as a US passport.

and he gets "billed" when he uses the dominican passport( or passport from a country other than the US)

besides the sign says...no propina allowed...so it has to be true!! right?

ha ha ha

bob

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Tambo, U'R right, I meand US and nonUS passports...

PS the loonie is being pushed back to it's place :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, U'R right, I meand US and nonUS passports...

PS the loonie is being pushed back to it's place :)

Nothing like hijacking your own thread!

Luny Tunes & Noriega CDZ07 may find support @.9800 / Resistance 1.02 in SPOT.

good trading!

tambo'

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
What I am amazed is the fact that he wasn't bothered about the cameras...I mean, I know that the DR is all about propinas, but to do it in a place like the immigration...the jefe's must be on the take...anyway, who am I to debate about this, been born behind the iron courtain...they still ask me when I visit my mom " purpose for your visit " - U don't wanna hear my answer

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
What I am amazed is the fact that he wasn't bothered about the cameras...I mean, I know that the DR is all about propinas, but to do it in a place like the immigration...the jefe's must be on the take...anyway, who am I to debate about this, been born behind the iron courtain...they still ask me when I visit my mom " purpose for your visit " - U don't wanna hear my answer

The propina is a chain of command thing in DR, his Jefe will get a % of the daily collected propina. that is why the did not mind the camaras.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Since my gringo passcedula is almost filled up, on my last trip I thought that I should have my nongringo passcedula stamped......

If you mean "Passport", then you can have your U.S. Passport sent in to have extra pages added to it.

The standard passport has 24 numbered pages, they used to have a 48 page passport but it has been dis-continued.

Adding extra pages is FREE! (Hurry before they change their mind! lol) ;)

How to Add Extra Pages to Your U.S. Passport

Don SantiagoDR