Any helpful Facts...street smarts...

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any helpful advice, facts, to give to someone who is not from the dominican republic, and who will be living there for 6 months.

Any tips, for example things to look out for. what not to do and etc.. i know your supposed to use your street smarts, but when it comes down to things that a person wouldnt really know unless they are from that country ( ie. not paying more than 1USD $ for the motorcycle taxis to take you from one place to another..)
all advice are welcomed :)
thank you in advance

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Tons, and tons of advice here, read through the forums!! The same advice has been given in many threads.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The SAS Urban Survival Handbook: How to Protect Yourself from Domestic Accidents, Muggings, Burglary and Attack

If you want a professional vue

Greetings

Johan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look kid, it's like this.
1) Do not trust anything a Dominican male tells you, especially if that male works at a hotel or restaurant. Or is connected to tourism in anyway. The only one I would say to trust is Frank Rainieri or his brother!!
2) Do not carry a lot of money or a fancy cell phone where anyone can see it.
Moto conchos are RD$20 not $1!!! Make sure you establish that fact befor climbing onto one of those machines.
3) Go nowhere at night you have not been to in the daytime.
4) Be aware of who is around you.

5) For the first three or four months you will be dead tired from culture shock and the language thing...get plenty of rest and eat a lot of fruit....

Good Luck

HB

A

apostropheman

here's a thought:

when you ask for advice or information, have the decency to at least appear to listen, and be sincerely thankful for the assistance you are offered. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yep

here's a thought:

when you ask for advice or information, have the decency to at least appear to listen, and be sincerely thankful for the assistance you are offered. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Could not have said it better!!!!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Could not have said it better!!!!

Maybe she will listen this time, she sure hasn't before. Review all her threads and posts, many contradictory statements and comments, and repetitious questions all about the same topic but asked in such a way that when the answer she wants is finally given, she is happy, sort of.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
also, when i ask for information, and recieve ANSWERS that dont make sense AKA 20 $ for the motorcycle, I THINK i have the right to correct and tell the person that FROM EXPERIENCE I DIDNT GO TROUGH THAT. just because the answers arent what YOU believe, doesn't mean the answers are wrong either.
anyways your makign me waste my fingers on typing just for YOU, when all youve done is pick on me and try and embarass me, i dont need that right now i have more important things to take care of
im blocking you as of now

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
seriously wow this is the worst group ive ever been in, some people warned me about this, and seems like no one gives a flying F#$@# when they dont hear what they wanna hear and they judge the poeple that don;t know anything
good job again

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think most people have given up on you so run with what you have. I advised you to ignore one or two of what you call rude remarks and focus the the good posts but you are now head butting and most people will not get involved in your threads.

Good luck

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Here's good advice. AT first I thought it was weird, but then it made more sense.

You are generally safer in the presence of Dominicans. If you find yourself totally alone, be very very careful. Especially when out walking or something.

I was out walking with a neighbor in AUgust when I still lived in Cabrera. All of a sudden we looked at each other and realized we were totally alone. Around the next bend were two pretty creepy looking guys apparently squatting in an empty house. We picked up the pace and got out of there quick. And she was a local!

Don't go anywhere alone at night. If you go out with a group go home with the same group. If you decide to have some drinks for heavens sake order plenty of water and don't make a fool of yourself.

If you don't have the proper change for your concho, tell the guy to come back in a bit when you have made change. Don't do what I did--give him my 50 bill and asked him to return. That was my 30 peso lesson!

DON'T listen to any Dominican men who will undoubtedly start yammering away at you withing seconds of your arrival. Ignore these jerks. Also, married men will hit on you in this country. I did my best to ignore it but it is a fact of life. I was out of the single guys age bracket for my town so all I got were jerks and married guys. It can be frustrating but I knew I wasn't there to find a man so I carried on!

Be super respectful when invited to someone's home. Don't fill your plate too much with food because you will be served more at some point. Take time to listen to the elders in the home and show respect. Hand squeezing and sincere thank-yous go a long way with older folks. I have been known to say "bendicion" to people who treated me very very kindly.

Don't dress too flashy! You'll have a hard enough time disproving the "all gringas are sluts" theory. Classy not flashy! Find a classy girl in your new environs and copy her if need be! Dominicans dress nice, smell nice, look nice, have their hair and nails done. Acclimate!

People will want to know about you, and all I can say is be careful who you share information with at all times. Guard your privacy, and your personal possessions. Don't let someone in your house unless you know them. As soon as you get a phone get some reliable numbers programmed in that you can call if you need help/in case of emergency.

That's all I can say, and I am no expert. Good luck.

A

apostropheman

ok Miss N,

i'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to make sense of what you're asking. i found much of it contradictory and confusing and suspect that others have also. so for the sake of clarity i've tried to make some sense of it. i've not questioned you motives for things like asking, in separate threads, about 2 different types of blackberries. i just wanted to clarify. if you choose to take things personally that's on you.

what i find amazing is that you pit "your experience" as unbelievably limited as it is against a well known and respected poster such as, for example, Hillbilly! (just one of many potential examples)
also, when i ask for information, and recieve ANSWERS that dont make sense AKA 20 $ for the motorcycle, I THINK i have the right to correct and tell the person that FROM EXPERIENCE I DIDNT GO TROUGH THAT. just because the answers arent what YOU believe, doesn't mean the answers are wrong either.
anyways your makign me waste my fingers on typing just for YOU, when all youve done is pick on me and try and embarass me, i dont need that right now i have more important things to take care of
im blocking you as of now
he knows, through a lifetime of experience, what things like normal motoconcho fares are (and a hell of a lot more, but that's self evident.) you obviously don't and the fact that you would belittle him says it all.

i won't say anymore on this subject as there's no need. i'm sure people can see what's really going on and will draw their own conclusions.