Identity-card (Cedullar)

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
I was hoping that I would be able to get some answers regarding the cost and procedures for a Dominican to get a their identity card.
An aquaitance of mine has asked me to help him financially as he cannot affordto pay for one on his own, and in order for him to work, one is required. He has mentioned that he may need a lawyer to get the ball rolling. Being that I do not want to be bamboozled, or taken for granted,I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light for me. If you require further information to assit in answering my question/s please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You know, I'm not very sure of the cost of a Cedula .. the expats here usually have that all in one process with residence. But, to my knowledge, the process is easy. I'm glad you don't want to be bamboozled. I hope one of our Dominican posters see this and tell you the real procedure. To start the ball rolling ..

Where is your friend, as in which town?
Does he have a birth certificate or any other proof of 'existence'?
Why does he think an attorney is needed? Some expats do their own renewals and again, the process is easy.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It costs nothing for Dominicans. I was just at the office to renew mine, and there was a poster there, that stated it was free for Dominicans.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It could be.............

He has mentioned that he may need a lawyer to get the ball rolling. .

that he doesn't have the necessary paperwork needed..........many Dominicans have never had a birth certificate since they were never declared and if this is the case...........they probably will need a lawyer and $$$$$ to "get the ball rolling".........

.......it usually involves going to court, paying a fine etc..............in order to get the birth certificate which is needed to get the cedula.............

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
As far as I know, he had a run in with the police some time ago;so, he has a "record"- which is the reason for the lawyer, I believe(again, please correct me if I have this all wrong). His mother passed away so I don't think he has a birth-certificate, he would have to go to his hospital of birth to retrieve it. ( He is rather young and apparant that he has gotten little guidance or help from is father)

Maybe, if you have the answer to both then I may have the basic idea: a) if you have a police record and no birth-certificate and you are trying to get cedullar b) if you have a police record and trying to get cedullar, what are the associated costs and would a lawyer be better especially in questions a?

BTW, is the cedullar and ID card the same thing?
As for the city he lives in, it's Santo-Domingo, his run-in with the police was in Bavaro.

Thanks for your replies.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
that he doesn't have the necessary paperwork needed..........many Dominicans have never had a birth certificate since they were never declared and if this is the case...........they probably will need a lawyer and $$$$$ to "get the ball rolling".........

.......it usually involves going to court, paying a fine etc..............in order to get the birth certificate which is needed to get the cedula.............

first of all,why doesnt he talk to dominicans,and ask what he needs to do, .....birth certificate is also free...does he know where he was born???does he have any family???on and on.
he is looking for money...
bob

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Only.......

.....birth certificate is also free...bob

..............IF he was declared at birth..........Birth Certificates are NOT FREE if you have not been declared..............

NOT saying that he "isn't looking for money" but there are MANY cases where the above applies and it DOES COST MONEY ...........

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
first of all,why doesnt he talk to dominicans,and ask what he needs to do, .....birth certificate is also free...does he know where he was born???does he have any family???on and on.
he is looking for money...
bob

This thread was not created so that I can provide information to my friend. I am the one looking to Dominicans for the information to ensure that I my kindness is not being taken for granted and that the information that he has given me somewhat matches the answers that I will get from you- with all the knowledge of how things work in your country.

He knows where he was born and lives with his Father. He has a brother and sister in the US; however, as they do not have the same mothers, (his passed) he has been left to "fend" for himself- they do not speak.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Maybe, if you have the answer to both then I may have the basic idea: a) if you have a police record and no birth-certificate and you are trying to get cedullar b) if you have a police record and trying to get cedullar, what are the associated costs and would a lawyer be better especially in questions a?

BTW, is the cedullar and ID card the same thing?

Yes, a Cedula is an identification document.

If he has a birth certificate, the Cedula is free.

If he does not have a birth certificate but was registered at birth, he needs a copy. From the DR1 Knowledgebase .. It is easy and typically costs RD400 to get a copy of a birth certificate. Go to the city/pueblo where the person was born with his full name, birth date, his parents names and ask for the office of records to get a birth certificate.

If he does not have a birth certificate and was not registered at birth, he would need to go back to the place where he was born and get a birth certificate from the local clinico/hospital/church records. There is a cost associated with this. Again, this does not require an attorney, but requires persistance and time. This procedure is somewhere on the board, so search it out and be patient. I know it is there somewhere.

Hopefully someone can answer as to how to get a cedula after a 'run-in' with the police.

If he is Haitian and wants a cedula, there is a whole other dimension to all of this.

If he is only trying to get some money out of you, then you have a whole other problem.

I agree with other posters, he needs to speak

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
If he is Haitian and wants a cedula, there is a whole other dimension to all of this.

He is Dominican... Thanks, very informative. I'll have to get some more information from him re: his birth cert.

Jan 5, 2006
The cedula is free. Criminal record does not affect this.

Birth certificates are also free. However, if there's an issue with the birth certificate such as not having been declared at birth by his parents, or a mistake made at the time of declaration, then it's going to cost him money to straighten it out. Keep in mind that such instances are very common in DR, as birth records were recorded by hand at local electoral board offices and not at the hospital of birth.

As a point of reference, I know someone who is currently correcting a spelling mistake (one letter) on their birth certificate and is paying a lawyer $8,000 pesos to rush the process along. Your friend may be able to do it himself for a lot less, but then it may take 5 times as long.

I was hoping that I would be able to get some answers regarding the cost and procedures for a Dominican to get a their identity card.
An aquaitance of mine has asked me to help him financially as he cannot affordto pay for one on his own, and in order for him to work, one is required. He has mentioned that he may need a lawyer to get the ball rolling. Being that I do not want to be bamboozled, or taken for granted,I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light for me. If you require further information to assit in answering my question/s please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Why doesn't anyone is his family help him? Save your money and tell him get off his a$$ and go get it himself.

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
I hear what you are saying... I read a few of your posts in regards to Sankies, and I do not beleive this person who I am referring to falls in that category. We are strictly platonic, we do not exchange words like I love you or anything close for that matter. He has not asked for money neither has he made up any crazy stories for me to feel sorry and offfer money. For the sake of not disclosing too much as I beleive in respesting one's privacay, here goes " his story".

I met him 2 years ago and at the time he was working in a barbershop- which I assume does not require a cedullar. We were amongst friends ( who works on resorts) and I intiated the conversation about him getting a better job like working on the resort as well, he explained the reasons why he would not be able to do so; among other things- like him not having a family and his mother no longer being alive. I, at the time, offered to help him- he did not ask. I lost contact with him a few months after I returned home; however, I was there in Nov. and ran into him. We talked and I concluded his situation worsened in regards to his income and I again offerd to help him get his ID card to potenially get a better paying job, and ended up here.

Bottom line, he has no money... and I want to help him out. This is all me offerring to help and him not asking me or have ever asked me for anything. However, I have to be realistic, desperate times calls for desperate measures and he may simply stretch the truth regarding the cost of things.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A good way of doing it would be to let him know that you will pay something, a small amount, but only AFTER he has completed the next step. That is if you can figure out what the next step is. The story about needing a Cedula for a better job really does not inspire confidence.

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
Thank you Chris, not sure what you mean by your last statement. Kindly elaborate, if that is ok with you.