Sky Dominicana Satelite

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Is anyone using the new Sky Dominicana satelite set-up, and if so, is it working well and are most channels in English?

Thanks for your help!
Rick

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Is anyone using the new Sky Dominicana satelite set-up, and if so, is it working well and are most channels in English?

Thanks for your help!
Rick

The picture is as good as a VHS cassette. This means the picture lacks detail and comes flat. I didn't like it at all. Its a digital signal but not the dame quality as directv. the picture was bad.
AZB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The picture is as good as a VHS cassette. This means the picture lacks detail and comes flat. I didn't like it at all. Its a digital signal but not the dame quality as directv. the picture was bad.
AZB

That's what happens when they digitize analog signals to feed them into the Sat. Even as the signal you get is pure digital in TX and RX the original source material was not originated digitally as it's required for the full digital TV experience.

You can see the best example of that kind of low quality service TV if you have Dish or Directv service and subscribe to a Dominican channel option. The picture and sound quality is not any better than if you were holding a coat hanger for an antenna while watching TV in the DR from air service...

The need to get the source feed for their transmission feeds to the Sat in a native digital format including the sound. I guess they just rebroadcast the signal they get from their terrestrial dishes and could care less for signal quality from the source...

It costs a lot of dough to get a full digital broadcasting board, without mentioning the direct digital lines from all the channels to be broadcasted fed into that board.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I agree pichardo. You have explained it in the best way possible.
AZB

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
AZB

Has it gotten any better as I am ready to order this but I am having reservations.

I was told the dish is 3 feet wide is that true?

When you say the pictiure is bad how bad is bad?

I live on the north coast and saw a poster living in Santo domingo and he said all is well.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Does anyone know if sky has a directory of shows that you can access online. Because all the channels are different than American TV, and I want to find certain shows and their times if they are on sky? Secondly I would like to talk to someone from sky about adding some channels that are very common in the states. Any imformation would be a help.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I live in Samana and I couldn't be happier with my Sky dish. It is three feet wide. I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan so the Sunday ticket was a life saver this year. I love it that the channels almost all are in English, the important ones that I want to watch anyway. For my wife's sake it is nice that you can in most cases choose the Spanish audio option. I don't like the fact that all the advertisements for shows list the time in a time zone 2 to 3 hours different than ours here in the DR. You have to be vigilant to see the shows that you want. I am able to watch a wide array of good shows even if sometimes they are a season behind. 24 is a few weeks behind each week and it comes on at like midnight. The good thing is that it is re-run again later in the week at a more agreeable hour.

My picture here in Samana has been nothing but clear and awesome. It maybe is not DVD quality but hey what do you want for $30 a month in a third world country. It is on par with the quality of picture with any of the cable companies in this country. When it rains really hard sometimes I lose signal but that happens back in Michigan at my families home with DirecTv and Dish Network.

Remember that Sky is based in Mexico so they might not be interested in what Americans normally have back home.

I do have one big complaint. Each morning at about 8 am till 11 am there are about 15 channels that have paid programming on. This is because in the time zone where it originates it is 5 am till 8 am or even earlier. I still don't have to like it though.