Swept under the Rug!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Why is it more common for scandalous major new items here in the DR to be swept under the rug, more so than in most countries of the world?

1)This morning the PLD (government) spokesperson Pared Perez, said the Sun Land case is "CLOSED". Huh? Do they think we are all STUPID? How arrogant?

2) The crappy Chinese Toothpaste imported from Panama a few months back, nothing more said. Who is the clown who imported the container loads of this stuff to the DR? Nobody responsible? Could it be one of the large powerful families, who run this country?

3) Ramoncito found guilty, but not going to jail? His questionably gained assets are held by family and friends and they will never give them up. Why even go through the charade of a trial?

4) Not a major news item, but why is it when a Gringo/Foreigner is involved in a Car accident, no matter who the guilty party is, the Gringo almost always pays (99.5% of the time). And pays dearly, at that.

Just some simple questions to ponder on this Christmas Season. Happy Holidays to all! ;)

This is "Why I Live in the DR", I love challenges.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
1) Sun Land is a multi party services provider, needless to say hmmm...

2) When you hear that the guilty party that imported the goods "may even be mentioned" that's the cue to know it will rest along side the "Who really killed JFK".

3) You need a trial to get rid of the attention quick and then let it sink along Titanic to the bottom of the cold and dark ocean...

4) Once a foreigner your forehead was branded with the Omen... $$$

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
1)
2) When you hear that the guilty party that imported the goods "may even be mentioned" that's the cue to know it will rest along side the "Who really killed JFK".

Uhhh, that did hurt :D :bunny:

One can not come to a country to escape the rat race of more developed and (more) equal justice centered countries and in turn expect all things to be equal. Part of the experience of "more" freedom here, applies also to the powerful and affluent, actually, a little more than to the average Joe (Jose), just like everywhere else.
Making it (rich) here from scratch, has, just like most everywhere, to do with being bold and having "the bones". Once a certain level is achieved it becomes a perpetuom [spelling] mobile.

... J-D. Sauser

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ususallyand I mean usually!!! when there are injuries in an accident or death, the offending driver goes to jail for a night at least, or until bail is set.
Not for Jaime David Fernandez, the former Vice President...

In last Thursday's CLARO newspaper(?) a columnist called the President a liar!! three times!!
Yet not one word of rebuttle. In fact, there were items in the press all week about how the Supervisor of Public Works actuall ASKED the government's accounting office to register the IOS's as PUBLIOC DEBT!! But they were not because it would have disturbed the IMF too much...

These people (PLD) are so arrogant...President is a liar, the ministers are liars, etcetcetcetc. They have the nation's best " spin Doctors"...

Just ask yourselves where does the money come from to build all of these highrises????

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
IF it was any other party on power, wouldn't you agree that they would be arrogant and parties like the PLD would be among those to bite off their teeth trying to show the lies and abuses they would perpetuate?

... J-D.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, J.D., I agree. but these people are so much more arrogant than anything we have ever seen here.
Mega projects = mega corruption, seems to be ther modus operandi.

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Glad to see we agree, Hillbilly, I would have hated to sit in the position not to. ;)

Anyway, you above most seem to have a good handle on this country's history, so, I am putting my suspicion forward to you, that I think that what may have changed also is, that today it has become more fashionable and inclusively, more survivable to bring issues like these to the light and inclusively openly call the President a mentiroso?

I mean, this country, just like most other Latin American countries, is splattered full of failed and unfinished or otherwise useless egomaniatic [sp] "proyectos"... of which many date way before this current government.

... J-D.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
During the last government (PRD) we used to refer to them as "clowns".
What are we calling them now? Definitely not serious!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look at today's papers! The Supreme Court has had to ORDER Diandino Pe?a to turn over the paperwork for the Metro....And then his lawyer reveals that some of the paperwork does not EXIST!!
A 25 billion peso project (at last estimates) and there are no studies??? Studies that were said to cost RD$700 million???? Geological/geophysical surveys of the ground and so forth!!
OMG!! And people are going to ride on this monstrosity??

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Look at today's papers! The Supreme Court has had to ORDER Diandino Pe?a to turn over the paperwork for the Metro....And then his lawyer reveals that some of the paperwork does not EXIST!!
A 25 billion peso project (at last estimates) and there are no studies??? Studies that were said to cost RD$700 million???? Geological/geophysical surveys of the ground and so forth!!

HB

Sometimes when the tide is against your project some toes must be stepped on or in the case of the Metro "bypassed".

To build a tunnel under the streets of SD is not comparable to the NY Subway under Grand Central Station or the Paris Metro. You have to understand that the SD Metro is only a few meters below ground and the geological/geophysical surveys are needed only to satisfy the warranted concerns of the local population regarding environmental/social impact unlike the case for the actual construction of it by the engineers.

This case reminds me a reading from the work of Robert Moses in NY, a true titan of future living needs. Moses crushed every single obstacle he had on his way, one of which is a remarkable runabout a still standing building in downtown Manhattan and a landmark of its own.

The SD Metro is getting built because not one single serious credited engineer would allow his/her name to be linked to a future disaster like many claim it could turn out to be sans the surveys and studies.

The trench method is not any different than the way almost all tall structures get their bases built atop of. You must understand that even under the seismic turbulence that the region undergoes form time to time; the tunnels will be capable of taking it just like all those even older tall structures have done so in the past and sure will in the future.

I believe that the SD Metro if in fact it is a phase by phase project to cover most of the D.N. and surrounding areas as proposed by the Master Plan of Opret. Then it will provide much needed alternative transportation to a city that proves to be among the top worst cities with the highest level of population congestion in the WORDL!!!

The big point that the Metro makes is that it was done with little pre-planning as the route and method of deployment changed from trench to deep tunnel to elevated and so on. As such the initial calculations of the overall cost kept upping the bar.

Given the potential of the DR to produce renewal form of energies to satisfy local demand and even export (Ethanol, Corn based, Solar, Wind, etc...) the investment into a type of mass transportation may tip the balance for the country's self sufficiency.

The DR produces good quality steel and polycarbonates that are extracted from the available raw materials from under-exploited and under explored natural resources. As such it could keep up to the needs of the steel rail system requires, unlike the tires and related parts for buses and cars that prove year after year to make the country even more dependent on foreign resources.

Train carts are built with long term life expectancies, given good maintenance they could easy outlast their expiry date. The DR has a good opportunity to learn quickly and train the vast pool of mechanical engineers via a secondary country to have a home grown capacity to churn out spares as needed.

The Metros in use today on most cities started the same way, with major controversy and heavy public subsidy. But not one single city of those would contemplate eliminating it for anything in the world!

You could argue that the gov should have put the money into education, new buses, hospitals, etc... But for someone born in the DR that is just the same of what always happens and never things get any better....

We had a major investment in the 86-88 into top of the line "Mercedes Benz" buses for ONATRATE(Organizacion Nacional de Transporte Terrestre) back then. We had major investment into new schools all over the nation since 1982 to 1986. We had major investment into Hospitals in 1986 to 1990. Ask what happened>>>>>>>

Santo Domingo is growing by the minute and if it fails to prepare for the near future, traffic jams will be the only thing that will stop the City cold.

In the DR we should abolish public schools and allow privately run schools get vouchers to accept non-cash students from the gov. Let the taxes pay for it with a VAT just for that on specific items/transactions.

The gov should never be involved in the education process of its citizens but only as a guarantor...

Same goes for the health coverage in Hospitals; we should privatize all of them into the private sector and negotiate a best state paid coverage for the unemployed or poor.

Mass transportation should work under a 50/50 partnership of private and state funding. All students should get free transport to school and back, including college, state funded emergency civil servants, etc...

We should abolish the Armed Forces as it is and create a National Security Body that will have a central bureau directive for all services.

We should have the gov. implement a card based payment system for all state employees and any services provided by the state. No checks, etc...
Like a debit card and provide via a public bidding a license to have all medium to small merchants use a terminal for transactions and a Computer based POS system that can be audited by Rentas Internas.

The offset to the winning bidder would be massive in the amount of per transaction charges it will generate and also a windfall for the gov as a co-pay beneficiary of such system.

In other words, it would mean that only banks would use actual paper/metal money.

What do you think?????

BTW: I'm a founding member of a political party of the DR back in the late 80's. It's called the PPD Partido del Pueblo Dominicano. It started as a movement called "Movimiento de la Identidad Dominicana". The colors are yellow and grey (I think) as I made the first flag for it. The emblem is a yellow sun with 8 sunrays departing from the corona atop the grey background and the motto is "No se puede tapar el sol con un dedo".

My political times! LOL!!!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I agree: The city needs a metro but not under all circumstances, the mentioned studies should have been carried out.
But this is not the point, the OP is saying that serious mishaps and obvious frauds committed by government officials are getting "swept under the rug", worse than ever before.
When this government took over many people (including me) thought that things would change for something better and got dissapointed. Just look at what other posters have to say in this thread.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
1. After a year or so of strong anti-Metro rhetoric from the opposition parties, look what the PRD candidate finally has to say about such in the following article. It sure sounds as if Miguel Vargas Maldonado always supported the project of the metro, but due to political reasons public denounced such, up until now, of course... Hm.. interesting...

PROPUESTA VARGAS MALDONADO: El Metro SD tendr?a fondos sector privado

It seems that it doesn't matter if the PLD wins the next election, as it will to the detriment of the naysayers; or the PRD wins (God forbid), the various phases of the metro will be finished!

On another note:

HB

2. I never thought I would ever say this to Hillbilly, the most respected Expat on DR1, at least that has been my impression; but STOP EXAGGERATING! I don't know how you can say that there are no studies, right after correctly stating that some of the paperwork doesn't exist. Of course, you forgot to add the following, of which comes from Listin Diario:

"...hay algunos documentos pedidos por el comunicador social que no existen, por lo que se le entregar?n “otros similares, que al decir de los t?cnicos que asesoran a la Opret, ofrecen mejores garant?as y m?s seguridades.”
IN ENGLISH: "...some of the documents asked by the social communicator don't exist, thus "other similar studies, that the technicians that evaluated OPRET, offer better guarantees and more security will be given".

What does all of this means? All sorts of things, but the two most important one's are:

1. STUDIES WERE MADE, IN FACT MOST OF THE DOCUMENTS EXIST!

2. THE SPECIFIC DOCUMENTS THAT DON'T EXIST WILL BE COMPENSATED VIA DOCUMENTS OF A SIMILAR NATURE IN ACCORDANCE TO THE TECHNICIANS THAT EVALUATED THE OPRET.

The question now should be, what exact documents will they give to Huchi?

And the answer is:

“Se le entregar?n (a Huchi Lora) los planos y estudios de car?cter geot?cnicos, que cubren las mismas necesidades que los que ha pedido. Y se le entregar?n aquellos estudios que son pertinentes y necesarios para la construcci?n de este proyecto, as? como los planos de la obra y con ello quedar?a ejecutada totalmente la decisi?n dictada por los jueces de amparo en su momento”, dijo.

IN ENGLISH:"Huchi Lora will receive the plans and the GEOLOGICAL studies, which cover the necessities of Huchi. Additionally, other studies that will be given include studies related and that were necessary for the construction of the project, in addition to the plans of the project, which should satisfy the decision put in place by the judges."

Source: Entregar?n papeles del Metro tras decisi?n de Suprema Corte

Hm, for some reason (I suspect is purely political) HB's comments quoted in this response seem to exaggerate what was actually said and what was actually done regarding the Metro of Santo Domingo, based on the article in List?n Diario.

As if that was not enough, the sudden "change of heart" on behalf of Vargar Maldonado (the PRD presidential candidate running in the next election), moving from a staunch anti-metro stance to suddenly a stance that:

A) Reinforces the validity and necessity of the metro of Santo Domingo.

B) Solidifies his support of the project, to the degree that he claims he will not stop the construction of the project and the second line of the metro will be built, if he happens to win the elections.

C) Raises more than a few questions as to why he was so anti-metro, but with about six months to election day, he suddenly changes opinion on the subject. Well, there is only one explanation for this: he was playing politics before and now he is positioning himself to win the elections by showing more support for the project that he previously said he didn't support.

Ah, Dominican politics. It seems that even SOME DR1 members are not immune to such.

I'm very disappointed and disillusioned towards some of them, one of whom I hold in high esteem and, even, had an admiration towards because I USED to think that his comments were not influenced by politics. :ermm:
-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
2. THE SPECIFIC DOCUMENTS THAT DON'T EXIST WILL BE COMPENSATED VIA DOCUMENTS OF A SIMILAR NATURE IN ACCORDANCE TO THE TECHNICIANS THAT EVALUATED THE OPRET. -NALs

Did they forget to add in 'as soon as they've finished writing them'.......? Would they perchance have a team right now beavering away on the 'compensatory documents'? :cheeky:

People in this country give signals as to what's going on. You just have to learn to start reading them. I'm only just beginning to get a grasp of this; others are far more experienced than I am.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just two things:

PICHARDO said: The DR produces good quality steel and polycarbonates that are extracted from the available raw materials from under-exploited and under explored natural resources. As such it could keep up to the needs of the steel rail system requires, unlike the tires and related parts for buses and cars that prove year after year to make the country even more dependent on foreign resources.

Train carts are built with long term life expectancies, given good maintenance they could easy outlast their expiry date. The DR has a good opportunity to learn quickly and train the vast pool of mechanical engineers via a secondary country to have a home grown capacity to churn out spares as needed.

I have to question the idea that Metaldom produces "good quality steel"...like what?
Then he said "...long term life expectancies, given good maintenance ..." Huh? Those are oxymorons in the Dominican Republic. "Maintenance" is a bad word, bad, bad, bad...word... As his example of the Mercedes buses so elegantly proves.

And to NALS:

I was just quoting Osiris de Le?n (Who admittedly has an ax to grind, but nobody has contradicted him yet, nor proven him wrong!). You quoted, and I quote, "similar studies" uh huh, similar to what? There were nowhere near enough studies done and the collapsing trench walls are proving it....buildings that are next to the trench over on Jose Contreras are cracking because of this...at least that is what is being reported.

Oh I can agree that a mass transit system is needed, just not this NYC-type of mass transit....

Now look, the folks in Santiago want the Beltway to be finished first, and THEN the trolley....no that is good thinking, since perhaps the existence of the Beltway will eliminate some of the traffic that causes the need for a trolley....

Now IF there was something to go to on the trolley...

Oh well, this is a "never ending story..."

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I agree: The city needs a metro but not under all circumstances, the mentioned studies should have been carried out.
But this is not the point, the OP is saying that serious mishaps and obvious frauds committed by government officials are getting "swept under the rug", worse than ever before.
When this government took over many people (including me) thought that things would change for something better and got dissapointed. Just look at what other posters have to say in this thread.

Had the studies been carried out the SD Metro today would have been just the nice model that sits atop the coffee table at the National Palace.

When any sitting administration ever tries to undertake a huge multimillion project, the other political parties find fodder to bring it down as an example of their supposed better "use" of the public coffers.

Again I tell you that the engineers involved in the Metro are not your "homegrown" viralatas that would sign a blue-print for a sure disaster for the right bribe. The project is going to cost more because sans the proper pre-studies it gets "altered" to fit the conditions that are found along the construction path. Think of it as the great road that was built by the US Army's core of engineers that linked the US territory to Alaska. It was a project that dwarfs the Metro by a long shot, yet the same "improvisation" system was used to build it.

Today's engineering is far more advanced than before with the use of computers. An engineer needs only hours or a day as max to get a precise analysis for a support column in any given soil, unlike yesteryears...

To the best of my knowledge the longest train tunnel bored into a varied mineral formation was done just the same way the SD Metro is being constructed! You can't wait to make the related studies on a part of the mountain you have yet to find out it's composition for sure.

On another point, the SD Metro tunneling system is by far the safest type of underground construction of all the available ones today.

About the corruption in the current administration you have to just read into the DR's political history to understand that it's the actual trend that all political parties follow. So to blame this one as equally corrupt is naive.

The present Democrat system in our country as well as that of all LA countries is base in the model of that of the US. If you want to go to the root of the evil, the US is a well documented corrupted system that only possesses the check and balances that the same political parties themselves police.

The only difference between ours and that of the US is that ours is not able to print Dollars as needed and blow up into trillion of Dollars in national debt, that the more you investigate it owes to nothing more but the benefit of having the Dollar serve as an international trade currency by most of the countries in the world.

To that point, the recent comments by Chinese officials that it may seek to partially move their US Dollar reserves to Euros in the coming 2nd to 3rd quarter of 2008, served to put the Dollar on a tail spin stopped by the release of Euros into the currency market at a 5 to 1 rate (called a liquid bleeding) by the US Reserve.

If OPEC follows with their idea of attaching the Euro to the Crude (setting the barrel price in Euros) the devastating impact can render the US economy into a quick unwarranted recession.

:chinese:

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Future Politico?

Had the studies been carried out the SD Metro today would have been just the nice model that sits atop the coffee table at the National Palace.

When any sitting administration ever tries to undertake a huge multimillion project, the other political parties find fodder to bring it down as an example of their supposed better "use" of the public coffers.

Again I tell you that the engineers involved in the Metro are not your "homegrown" viralatas that would sign a blue-print for a sure disaster for the right bribe. The project is going to cost more because sans the proper pre-studies it gets "altered" to fit the conditions that are found along the construction path. Think of it as the great road that was built by the US Army's core of engineers that linked the US territory to Alaska. It was a project that dwarfs the Metro by a long shot, yet the same "improvisation" system was used to build it.

Today's engineering is far more advanced than before with the use of computers. An engineer needs only hours or a day as max to get a precise analysis for a support column in any given soil, unlike yesteryears...

To the best of my knowledge the longest train tunnel bored into a varied mineral formation was done just the same way the SD Metro is being constructed! You can't wait to make the related studies on a part of the mountain you have yet to find out it's composition for sure.

On another point, the SD Metro tunneling system is by far the safest type of underground construction of all the available ones today.

About the corruption in the current administration you have to just read into the DR's political history to understand that it's the actual trend that all political parties follow. So to blame this one as equally corrupt is naive.

The present Democrat system in our country as well as that of all LA countries is base in the model of that of the US. If you want to go to the root of the evil, the US is a well documented corrupted system that only possesses the check and balances that the same political parties themselves police.

The only difference between ours and that of the US is that ours is not able to print Dollars as needed and blow up into trillion of Dollars in national debt, that the more you investigate it owes to nothing more but the benefit of having the Dollar serve as an international trade currency by most of the countries in the world.

To that point, the recent comments by Chinese officials that it may seek to partially move their US Dollar reserves to Euros in the coming 2nd to 3rd quarter of 2008, served to put the Dollar on a tail spin stopped by the release of Euros into the currency market at a 5 to 1 rate (called a liquid bleeding) by the US Reserve.

If OPEC follows with their idea of attaching the Euro to the Crude (setting the barrel price in Euros) the devastating impact can render the US economy into a quick unwarranted recession.

Pichardo, Spoken like an "Educated" Politician. Now come on! Please, stop making excuses and enabling any Politician to an everlasting game of "Decieving The People". Don't compare the Corruption Level that exist here in the DR to that of the USA, that is insulting. Upon these type of comparisons, you can and will decrease your credibility. BTW where are the Iron Mines (raw material for steel) in the DR? I know Falcondo has Ferro Nickle, but that is an additive for a variety steels. For polycarbs, you use petrochem, do you not? Just asking? The real comment I was making in my "Swept under the Rug" is nothing more than a commentary of ongoing scandals at the highest levels of Government, that seem to go nowhere. Why has LF canceled the contracts with SunLand (this mornings news), when his administrration did nothing wrong/ilegal? Where are the stolen airplane parts that disappeared from San Isidro when armed guards were watching the confiscated planes? The list is never-ending?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just two things:

PICHARDO said: The DR produces good quality steel and polycarbonates that are extracted from the available raw materials from under-exploited and under explored natural resources. As such it could keep up to the needs of the steel rail system requires, unlike the tires and related parts for buses and cars that prove year after year to make the country even more dependent on foreign resources.

I have to question the idea that Metaldom produces "good quality steel"...like what?
Then he said "...long term life expectancies, given good maintenance ..." Huh? Those are oxymorons in the Dominican Republic. "Maintenance" is a bad word, bad, bad, bad...word... As his example of the Mercedes buses so elegantly proves.

And to NALS:

I was just quoting Osiris de Le?n (Who admittedly has an ax to grind, but nobody has contradicted him yet, nor proven him wrong!). You quoted, and I quote, "similar studies" uh huh, similar to what? There were nowhere near enough studies done and the collapsing trench walls are proving it....buildings that are next to the trench over on Jose Contreras are cracking because of this...at least that is what is being reported.

Oh I can agree that a mass transit system is needed, just not this NYC-type of mass transit....

Now look, the folks in Santiago want the Beltway to be finished first, and THEN the trolley....no that is good thinking, since perhaps the existence of the Beltway will eliminate some of the traffic that causes the need for a trolley....

Now IF there was something to go to on the trolley...

Oh well, this is a "never ending story..."

HB

The DR produces steel for local use and regional export as well!! Good steel is one that is mostly free impurities to the most part.

Aceros Dominicanos is a prime example of good quality...

Them Mercedes buses were cannibalized because the country's ONATRATE couldn't muster the US currency for the parts that just became too expensive as the Dollar went ballistic short after that when the initial supplies of spares was out of inventory.

The Buses were more expensive to maintain than the actual purchase of their replacements proved. So they were used as spares until only one or two roamed the streets.

That proves that the DR can't base their maintenance needs to foreign suppliers, but do as the MTA did and create an in-house parts manufacturing plant to maintain and support their complete yard.

The DR has the capability but not the knowledge yet...

About the comments to Nelson:

The collapsing trenches do happen in this kind of work, the Second Ave subway line is a proof of that, as it was built the buildings along the sides the area from 105th St and 101st were having cracks developing in their foundations. All were found to be based on the cost saving effects of the initial constructions in their foundations.

The trench along the Metropolitan Hospital and Second Ave collapsed along a 50mt stretch that had to be re-enforced due to the massive foundations of the nearby Hospital structures.

Just try and open a trench 5 feet deep by 3 in your backyard and place a 1,000 pound element with a footprint of no more than 2 feet by 3, at 5 inches off the edge of the center of that trench and allow some rain to fall.

Collapses are expected but impossible to predict with accuracy, the best that could be done is to re-enforce the walls with some wood and steel some several feet lower than the wall itself.
Due to the speed at which the trench was being walled with concrete by the crews this step is unnecessary and would have made the project costlier and slower.

Mass transit is not "Roadways or Speedways", the mass transit concept means to move rather great amounts of people. I don't see buses creating any alleviation to the jams in the streets of SD!!! A Subway is proven as a major improvement into any city's flow of people.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Future Politico?

Pichardo, Spoken like an "Educated" Politician. Now come on! Please, stop making excuses and enabling any Politician to an everlasting game of "Deceiving The People". Don't compare the Corruption Level that exist here in the DR to that of the USA, that is insulting. Upon these type of comparisons, you can and will decrease your credibility. BTW where are the Iron Mines (raw material for steel) in the DR? I know Falcondo has Ferro Nickle, but that is an additive for a variety steels. For polycarbs, you use petrochems, do you not? Just asking? The real comment I was making in my "Swept under the Rug" is nothing more than a commentary of ongoing scandals at the highest levels of Government, that seem to go nowhere. Why has LF canceled the contracts with SunLand (this mornings news), when his administrration did nothing wrong/ilegal? Where are the stolen airplane parts that disappeared from San Isidro when armed guards were watching the confiscated planes? The list is never-ending?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, Spoken like an "Educated" Politician. Now come on! Please, stop making excuses and enabling any Politician to an everlasting game of "Decieving The People". Don't compare the Corruption Level that exist here in the DR to that of the USA, that is insulting. Upon these type of comparisons, you can and will decrease your credibility. BTW where are the Iron Mines (raw material for steel) in the DR? I know Falcondo has Ferro Nickle, but that is an additive for a variety steels. For polycarbs, you use petrochem, do you not? Just asking? The real comment I was making in my "Swept under the Rug" is nothing more than a commentary of ongoing scandals at the highest levels of Government, that seem to go nowhere. Why has LF canceled the contracts with SunLand (this mornings news), when his administrration did nothing wrong/ilegal? Where are the stolen airplane parts that disappeared from San Isidro when armed guards were watching the confiscated planes? The list is never-ending?

On the comparison of corruption to lies of the DR to the US:
Can you spell Halliburton??
Can you spell Enron?
Can you spell Veco?
Can you spell "add one here"...

It's insulting alright! The DR is a minor or AA league compared to the corruption that moves our Capitol...

The DR has mines of Ferronickel, Bauxite, Iron, limestone, copper among others. The mines are owned by Dominican companies that like Aceros Domincanos use it to produce their own good quality steel. So far only recently have the DR's gov signed exploratory agreements with some 7 international companies following a lull after the breakdowns with the Falconbridge...:chinese:

The DR produces Polycarbonate sheets fro the local market, it's processed from the crude oil that is refined at the local Shell oil refinery. It starts from Benzene and Acetone.

The DR has the capability to produce both and the equal capability to use it to produce polycarbonates. Which we do!

The only big difference is that the DR is not commercializing the polycarbonates it's able to produce as the scale is not par to that of medium to large manufacturers, yet...

The parts stolen are sold already as all that falls into the hands of any politicians everywhere, ask many US politicians about that too...

Sund Land is equal opportunity lender under the table to any administration in power of the DR, period. Worked for the PRD so why not the PLD?

The armed guards are the ones that secure the transaction for the big kahuna....

Status
Not open for further replies.