Questions - Internet? Phone? and a few other questions.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
What's up everyone:

I'm getting ready to grab my ticket next week and needed a few more questions addressed if possible. I initially was going to be outside of Santo Domingo but based on the few contacts that I've made and the recommendation of Las Canas in Sosua on a different thread, I've decided to go there. My questions are as follows:

1. I need to have stable (preferably cost effective) internet and/or phone service. I would like to be able to use my Vonage but it seems that some persons can and some persons can't. And if I could, it seems that I would need some type of inside hook-up to get cable broadband because I don't have DR credit. If this is the case and I just used the wireless link at Las Canas for internet, would I still need DR credit to get a phone through Codetel?

2. Can I pay my cable and or phone ahead for the time that intend to use it (4 to 5 months) thus dismissing the need for credit?

3. Are there no unlimited cell phone plans yet in the DR? If not, and seeing that I can't get a regular plan because I have no DR credit, what's the greatest amount of time that can be purchased for the least amount of money with a company with strong signals on the North Coast?

4. How does one get DR credit aside from getting a bank account or a credit card in the DR? Is there a credit bureau there?

5. For anyone who does business (or at least alot of social) in the US, what are you using for your telephone and what does it cost you per month?

6. Lastly...Is it a easy or complex situation to sub-lease a condo?

Thanks for your help

j

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
1. Codetel (ex Verizon). About USD 50.oo/month. In touristy place like Sosua and Cabarete, many bars and small hostels offer some kind of WiFi service, which is however maybe somewhat too slow for internet telephony and a security risk for logging into accounts.

2. If you are into a long term rental, which has or can have a phone line, you can contract DSL in your name and pay monthly.

3.No. Your best bet for local and national calling and being reachable for your loved ones abroad would be to bring an unlocked triband sim card (GSM chip) cell phone along and buy a chip locally (Orange) to a "pay as you go" number. If you don't have such a phone you can buy a simple basic Nokia phone for about USD 30.oo. Incoming calls to a cell phone here are free to you! This is however, NOT a good solution for your out bound international calls.

4. I believe to understand that there are two credit institutions, but I doubt they work at the every day personal level. Others may have more insight about that subject. "Credit" is gained by recommendations from businesses and influential people you have dealt with in form of letters of recommendations. You may need such letter of recommendation even to open your first bank account... which seems impossible, since you don't have a history of business as a newcomer. However some banks will consider a letter of "good business" as well as account statements from your home country's bank (if you can, come equipped with such letter and statements). Getting a loan, will be a more difficult endeavor and you will need collateral and your chances of getting financing on a new vehicle are higher than to get more than 70% of the bank assessed value of of a real property.

5. I, as well as many others here use skype.com (similar to vonage). I have to amend what I told you earlier today: contrary to what I told you, skype apparently no longer uses PayPal but now takes credit cards directly as well as debits from accounts and some new PayPal and BillPay competitor who's name escapes me right now, since it was today the first time I even read it. This may have some connection with a multi million hack from Russia on skype linked PayPal accounts a month or two ago... I don't know.

6. Most landlords or their lawyers automatically explicitly exclude your right to sublease, and for very obvious reasons I might ad, here you do not want to rent to just anybody as laws are very protective of tenants.

... J-D.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And if all else fails .. run into Rocky's and say ... I need connectivity now! He usually has it taped! That is if Judy at Las Canas has not already solved the problem Don't ask for a loan or a mortgage, don't ask for a lot of time, but be assured you're in good hands. Also be assured you're going to land on a Planet that is new.

Sort out your Skype, your credit cards, your Vonage and so on before you leave.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Good lookin' out JD

It was almost as if I asked the 64k question and everyone was stumped. That is good info and though I've been on Skypes site, I will continue to research it and make certain that that is the avenue to take. It does look very promising at this point. I appreciate the timely info.

Moderator...feel free to lock this thread down. Thanks.

j

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
One part of the answer

Las Canas has very reliable WI-FI service throughout the entire complex. I have seen people using laptops during the day from many different locations there with no problems. No charge for that.

The same is true for cable service. It is included and available in all units.

The rest is beyond my knowledge. Good Luck and enjoy!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
American credit cards??

I regularly use American credit cards - MasterCard, Visa, & AmEx mostly - to pay many DR bills; if the card is authorized,etc. there are no problems. Vendors include Codetel, Edenorte, Price Smart, & Orange. I sometimes pay 2 - 4 - 6 months in advance. They gratefully & justly accept my $.

caveat: most American credit cards charge a 3 % premium for all foreign currency transactions, including pesos in the DR; 3 %!! For having a computer calculate the correct exchange rate! Highway robbery!

Solution: a few banks' cards charge only 1 % - which in my judgment is tolerable. With a USA bank & the internet, you can receive notice of the bill from the creditor bank & have your account bank pay the credit card's bank directly.

Suggestion: American Airlines & CitiBank have a Master Card with AA frequent flyer miles for all purchases. This adds up after a while; results in in a nearly "free" R /T USA - DR flight every ? years. Same 3 %!

Good fortune! You should be able to find some business which will cash your USA checks, w/o any fees.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
John D Clark, Wireless internet works in most areas of Las Canas, and it seems that the type of laptop dictates the signal strength you will receive. My new laptop (Toshiba Satellite) will get 4 or 5 bars when I am sitting next to someone who only gets 1. Skyping is frustrating as with many users on the wireless, there isn't enough bandwidth to use skype, so I am told. I don't really know much about that.

Claro can install landlines in any apartment. One of our tennants just opened an account there with just a passport. Anything is possible with the phone company, installation was next day!

Subletting...please don't ask. Why would you need to? Unless you are telling me you will stay for a longer time to get a better rate, but really only plan on a short term!??? Come on, be up front with me.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Good info...

...Gringosabroso. I was kinda hoping that I could just pay 4 to 5 months up front in lieu of not having DR credit. As far as what you said about the credit cards, I intended on using my current cards there but was was trying to figure out how to establish DR credit for the future. Thanks again.

Thank you for the info campesina. The fact that there seems to be a lack of bandwidth is exactly why I have to get a strong, consistent set-up for my communications, as I currently use voip (vonage) which probably will not operate optimally. And it must operate optimally because I will need that to continue working back in the US. Odd thing is, out of all my reading and searching, I believe this is the first time I've come across "Claro" but I'll be sure to look further into it.

As far as subletting goes. I intend to stay as long as I've stated and have not deceived you (begging the question....who are you?..ha ha ha...or maybe you were speaking generally). When I intended on coming to the DR, I got a great deal on two condos outside of Santo Domingo city. One for $100 US (2 bed 1 bath furnished) and the other for $125 (2 bed 1 bath unfurnished) through my sisters friend which basically is the hook-up. I decided, after reading a thread and coming across Las Canas, to stay there as it had the attention to detail where the other condos were just basic dwelling imo. But can't help but think that I should do something with the other condos because it's truly a deal even in the DR. But that's why I asked. Are we good?....great. Later.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Skype uses good technology to make the best of what bandwidth is available (some other VoIP companies are not). So you get a pretty good connection. The only downside is (I think with most VoIP) the slight delay and perhaps both party talking at the same time.

I was working from DR for a couple months last year, I used various VoIPs and found Skype was pretty consistant accross the continents (I had to call most continents !), some other VoIP where good for Europe but not US and so on (although they where cheaper than Skype).

In any case it depends if you are making client facing calls or to your colleagues. These days most people accept and are used to communication on VoIP (now most customer supports are in India !). Although I had a colleague in Boston who was constantly complaining about the quality of my VoIP (while others didn't) - I think he was just jealous of me working from DR, while he was in freezing Boston winter !!?

Good Luck...

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Post Script - American credit cards

I've received more education in the use of American credit cards in the DR since I've posted; specifically:

* Edenorte??? Will accept American credit cards, at least some, for the payment of monthly bills; but, . . . payments in advance [ex. 3, 6 mos] must be in Pesos! Why? Logical? If a customer has $ in his hand, Edenorte will not accept it? Payments in advance! I learned this 1st hand. Edenorte has change it's policy??

* Bank of American is offering a "Rewards American Express Card"; no annual fee; only a 1% "transaction fee" for foreign, including DR, purchases. This is a great bargain! The standard, near universal, rate is an absurd but extremely profitable 3 %? This AmEx card can be applied for & obtained on line. Cf. Google. Buena suerte!