La Vega accommodatons during Carnaval?

jorge.Seattle

Sep 11, 2007
Hello,
We are planning on going to the Carnaval parade in La Vega, Sunday March 2, 2008. I would imagine most of the accommodations will be full that night. Can anyone suggest accomodations there or in a town nearby to stay that evening. Also, how long do the Carnaval activities and parade last that evening.
Thanks

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hello,
We are planning on going to the Carnaval parade in La Vega, Sunday March 2, 2008. I would imagine most of the accommodations will be full that night. Can anyone suggest accomodations there or in a town nearby to stay that evening. Also, how long do the Carnaval activities and parade last that evening.
Thanks

The only hotel worth staying at in La Vega(El Rey) is PACKED full of dom yorks during Canival. Make your reservations ahead of time(like right now) or you will be forced to stay in Santiago.
Probably no other way around this one.

Sep 19, 2005
is the carnival still going on in march?????????????

I thought it was only in feb and ended on the last sunday....

bad bob

Jan 5, 2006
You best bet for accomodations will probably be a caba?a (short stay motel) on the highway.

The carnival/parade is usually done by late afternoon. However, the partying continues until the late hours of the night.

jorge.Seattle

Sep 11, 2007
I hope the Caraval is still happening March 2nd. I looked at a travel tour company's itinerary advertised, and it had Sunday March 2nd for its customers to see the final Carnaval parade in Santo Domingo. I was hoping it was the last parade in La Vega also. There is a website for La Vega Carnaval, but I didn't see any dates there. Does La Vega have a parade on Independence Day, Wednesday 2/27 also, or is there only an Independence Day parade in Santo Domingo on that Wednesday?
Thanks alot for your help.

Sep 19, 2005
jorge, I am not an expert, but since I have been the last two years, I can relay what I saw. We went on feb 27th last year.

they usually have the carnival every sunday in feb ...and i thought it was only in feb.

but next year maybe they changed something.

La Vega has one of the bigger carnivals in the counrty, dont know if it is also bigger than the capital.

I would bet they have a carnival every sunday in feb and on the 27th again next year in La Vega

good luck

bob

Jan 5, 2006
There are parades on every Sunday in February with the largest one happening on the last Sunday of the month. Since this year the month ends on a weekday, it is possible that they'll stretch the festivities into the following Sunday, which is March 2. That's the way it has been done in the past, so I suspect that to be the case for this coming year.

There is usually nothing scheduled for 2/27, but a lot of partying and drinking does go on, since it's a national holiday and most people are off from work.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would think the La Vega carnivals are going to take place on February 3, 10, 17 and 24. That would leave March 2 for the Santo Domingo parade that brings together delegations from the carnivals from all around the country.

svesve

Nov 4, 2007
SD carnival

Is there only one date for carnival in Santo Domingo? Was hoping to see it while there on 3rd Feb 2008 :ermm:
If going to La vega carnival and you dont want to get beaten up by the 'diablos' in the crowd- is it easy to find a 'safe' place to watch and enjoy the parade?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes. The diablos will only beat up those that are easily within their catch for tempt them. Remember they parade through the streets looking for their victims, but if you are watching from a stand they will not go after you.

There is only one date for the carnival in Santo Domingo. You will need to travel to La Vega.

Sep 19, 2005
Is there only one date for carnival in Santo Domingo? Was hoping to see it while there on 3rd Feb 2008 :ermm:
If going to La vega carnival and you dont want to get beaten up by the 'diablos' in the crowd- is it easy to find a 'safe' place to watch and enjoy the parade?

sure there are plenty of safe places...getting to them is always the chore though.

many people have stands set up by them or friends..sometimes there is room in front of them, plus you have a group that might watch your back so to speak and you might get to talking to them.

walking the carnival is a lot of fun, but for sure if you look wealthy or are a gringo-a...you will be a mark

I had a very bad experience last year that, came from a well planned GROUP of adult men and they were determined!!

they know what they are doing and how to feign , it being "an accident".

if you have no valuables or cash or a wallet or any electronic device...you can walk the carnival with out much worry....what can they steal from you??

they dont attack you they crowd you and pick your pockets......there is a lot of pushing and shoving and "touching" going on.

you also have to mindfull of the carnival participants who want to whack you behind with that tethered ball!!!!!!!! ha ha

enjoy maybe Ill see you there

bad bob

svesve

Nov 4, 2007
Thanks everybody for the explanations....
Sounds like fun, still a bit confused, not sure how to plan it- we will be leaving Puerto Plata on 3rd Feb Sunday for santo domingo, so as in SD no carnaval happening on that day, we may as well stop by in La Vega. I have already asked people on Dr1 about travelling between these 3 places, doesnt seem easy. We definitelly wont look wealthy (as we are not), and we are not dominicanos either, but may have one medium sized backpack with us- sounds like a problem if willing to walk the carnival. Well, think we would prefer to sit/stand and watch :) is there any place you can prebook for this occasion? (sorry if this sound silly,just never been to DR so wondering about everything :) I heard the carnival starts at around 3pm, does it finish at certain time as well or does it turn into an all-night party?

Sep 19, 2005
well I would get your plans in a little more in order. You dont want to wing it heading out to SD AFTER ther carnival which runs about till dark. by the time you get out on route 1 it will definately be dark. We stayed last year till it was over and it was dark before we got to our car.

now driving to santo domingo is bad enough in the dark...you dotn want to actually have to find someplace in that city for the first time.... after dark

that is my crazy opinion, and I have driven the whole island!!!

Id try to make arriangments to stay in santiago or LaVega the night of the carnival and then head out to santo domingo in the daylight.

Hotel Rey is about the only one in town, there are a few smallish hotles in Moca...but it would be soo easy to drive back to the Marriot(just past the airport on ROUTE 1, maybe 15 minutes tops) for the night..might cost you over $100....but it would make life easy if you cant get a room at Hotel Rey in LaVega.

good luck

bob

svesve

Nov 4, 2007
Maybe he best thing would be to book the hotel rey for the night.........is there any website or email address for this hotel?

svesve

Nov 4, 2007
i know there is another thread, saw it, but the email address there is not valid as the email came back to me

hoped someone may know the real one ;)

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Carnaval La Vega

Hello all:

Question: I also want to head to the La Vega Carnaval but since I?ll be going alone I thought I would try a tour group. Has anyone heard of Gaby Club ?Gabriela International?? Their ad in today?s List?n Diario says my estad?a will be en La Cueva de Los Soberanos..any thoughts, suggestions, comments will be greatly appreciated. Thx

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
La Cueva de Los Soberanos should be the base for that troupe of diablos. Go for it. Sounds like great fun, and you will be an insider, with it all being a no-brainer because of the tour. And for those who just want to observe, for sure they will have an area away from where you can get whacked. And the big plus of having your transport covered to and from.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply Dolores-I will go for it. Can?t wait, and I?ll be sure to post pix!