Help!.......I'm being harrassed......

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
...........by a GIANT cockroach..........:ermm:

For 3 nights now, a giant cockroach keeps climbing on my bed!

I have not been able to sleep and today the maid and another employee completely tore everything apart in the bedroom to find him/her......

They couldn't find it and said it must have left.............but now, upon going up to the bedroom, the ****ing thing was on top of the bed AGAIN!!!!!

I tried to get it and it ran so fast I couldn't find it anymore.........I can see that I am going to have another sleepless night!!!!!!

I have gargled 3 times since the maid and employee said that if the cockroach smells sugar or grease in your mouth they will bite your lips!!!!!

I used to complain when I would have a frog hopping around.........I'll take the frog anytime compared to this guy/gal!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Its not the same cockroach. There are many! Where are you? I would suggest a good clean of the environment. Cockroaches don't live where it is really really clean!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
My house is..........

...........spotless..............I have a maid 6 days a week, from 8 am to 4 pm.............

You can eat off my floors.................

We are in Costambar, and it is the SAME ONE.............and it's huge!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
But can you eat off the little small 'corners' in your kitchen? And the little tile grout in back of your dish washing zink .. and a lot of other places like that. Sorry, but coming from Africa and having a whole lot of time in the DR, I do 'resonate to the soul of cockroaches'. Every so now and again a 'flying' one needs a wack of the insect wacker .. but really clean, means no cockcroaches. I'm not saying your hygiene is sub-par ... I'm saying hyper superb hygiene and cockroaches don't mix - maid or no maid.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Go to the local store, pick up a tin of Baygon (with the relevent spray gun) or a aerosol of Baygon ............... & SPRAY the thing. Keep spraying wherever it tries running to & make sure you spray into the crack that it finally manages to crawl/hide itself. No Cockroach tomorrow evening!!!

Try persuading the maid to include some Tremintina into the cleaning water when she cleans around next - helps persuade the litlle (& in your case BIG) buggers to find another home. ~ Grahame.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
...........spotless..............I have a maid 6 days a week, from 8 am to 4 pm.............

You can eat off my floors.................

We are in Costambar, and it is the SAME ONE.............and it's huge!!!!

Maybe one reason you roach prefers to dwell in your bed then? :D

On a more serious note, have you actually SEEN the beast, are you sure you are not just having nightmares or some kritterphobia?
Also some kritters here have a tendency to make noises you can't seem to locate, sometimes it's like it's half a foot away and you get up and realize it's outdoors.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have gargled 3 times since the maid and employee said that if the cockroach smells sugar or grease in your mouth they will bite your lips!!!!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

Don't believe everything the maid tells you. ;) Seriously, in all your years here has a cockroach ever got that close to you? The occasional ones I come across seem keener to scuttle away when they hear my footsteps.

And at the risk of making you paranoid :cheeky: & as cockroaches eat dead matter, has anything died inside your mattress recently?

Info on cockroaches here:
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html#Q28

You'll just love some of the FAQs...........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well.........

we'll definately take your advise Bushbaby and do what you suggested tomorrow.......we have seen some of these outside too over the years, but I never considered them the same as the cockroaches where you get hundreds of them at a time........This is just ONE LARGE ONE...............

We are at the end of Costambar with all woods around the property and have 3 balconies off the bedroom........There are constantly hundreds of types of different BUGS clinging to the screens of the sliding doors at night and it's quite a challenge to be able to open up one without something flying or crawling in.............especially those huge black ones that fly (coco's) and end up dying upside down on the floor the following morning if you can't get it...........
.........they are huge and in terms we can understand, it would probably be considered a two passenger vehicle by Dominican Standards!!!!

Obviously, I am still awake and am finding it very hard to sleep with bright lights on...............assuming that he will like to find a dark space to hide.............

............and by the way............he's been ON the bed, not IN it...!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not give him a 20 Pesos for a motoconcho.....
How else can you get a pest out of your bed?

tambo'

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Don't believe everything the maid tells you. ;) .........

..........Well, you better tell that to my watchmen too......cause they just told me that "the cockroaches will nibble at your lips and the rats will nibble at your feet!"............LOL

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Try using bleach (Chlorox) - I used to wash everything down daily with bleach, floors, countertops, inside of closets and cupboards, bathroom - every nook and cranny. I didn't have any screens on the windows at the time - and never had a bug problem after I started this practice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just eat it.
That will teach him a lesson he will never forget.
AZB

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We caught it...........

..........by putting down that paper that has glue on it.....in the corners.........

AND IT IS THE SAME ONE!.................I recognized his eyes!!!!!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
When we first bought our place in Cabarete we were having the cockroach parade every night throughout the living room area and kitchen. Then we started to have streaming ants coming out of the walls in the bathroom. I tried all the sprays and powders, nothing worked. I finally wised up and bought several tubes of silicone caulking and caulked every small opening I could find. Like the gas connection in the kitchen ran under the house and into the casita. The roaches were coming from the casita, so I caulked all around the gas tubing behind the stove. Voila, no more roaches at night. I also caulked tiny openings in the original caulking and that has stopped everything but most especially the ants that live inside the walls of the houses.

If you think that spraying alone will do the trick, I have bad news for you. Try a multi-pronged appproach and don't forget to seal everything and everywhere.

It actually worked!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We rarely had roaches ...........

mainly AFTER we left for the summer and would find one or two dead ones inside when we returned.

However two years ago the owner downstairs did major renovations to his apartment including moving the bathroom and now we are plagued with them.

This year with all the rain (which fills up the septics!) means they are everywhere (all the way up to the top floor of our building!).

I have screens, roach traps down, caulked everywhere we could, spray the inside of cupboards/behind stove & fridge, put down borax, rosemary essential oil, etc. etc. etc. and we STILL manage to kill two or three every night!!:tired:

I have noticed tho' the ones in Juan Dolio are no where near the size of the ones we encountered our first time in Luperon!;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We had a mini-invasion last week after the downstairs neighbours moved out, but it's over now, and being able to sleep without the noise from their air conditioners more than compensates for the unwanted visitors.
However, the maintenance staff are keeping their Christmas poultry behind our building and all hell breaks loose by 5:00am or so.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
..........by putting down that paper that has glue on it.....in the corners.........

AND IT IS THE SAME ONE!.................I recognized his eyes!!!!!

I hope you let it live if its the same one. This is a brave (or stupid) roach if it was going to your bed every night to scare you. You'd think by now the two of you have kind of an unspoken connection...