Re: Culture clash?

A

arcoiris

Re: Culture clash?

I was going to say the same thing in different words about getting up early. Most, not all, of the Dominicans I have been with get up at dawn and labor until dark. Can't depend on electricity to enable night time activities. Even though many don't have "gainful employment" meaning a job wherein somebody pays them to do something, they work hard to do what they have to do to provide for their families. More like Americans used to do when the wife worked in the home, and like farmers. When urbbanization happened and so many got put in the slums surrounding the Capital so they could be available to work for businesses in the Capital, it was really disruptive to the lifestyle of many, and they found they couldn't get the jobs they moved there to get. There are different definitions of "work" according to the capitalistic system as compared to other economic systems. Some consider that getting up early to go to "work" is the only way to do it and they consider homemaking not "work". It is, for example, considred that I am "working" if I take care of your kid for money, while it is considred nothing if I take care of my own kid at home. So if you take care of my kid in my house while I take care of your kid in your house, we are both "working". If we both take care of our own kids in our own house, neither of us is "working". go figure