Animals & safety

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
How safe is it to be petting & playing w/people's dogs & cats in the DR? I love to play around w/dogs, and sometimes end up w/small scratches. I have been scolded more than once by Dominican friends for my behavior as they think it could get me sick, even though they think it's cute usually.

So. People's pets (dogs or cats). Okay, not okay? Stray ones? Okay, not okay? Petting vs. playing, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on just WHO the owners are. I love dogs and cats, but will not pet a cat in the DR, unless I know who and where it has been...I had a good friend go through hell because one of the kittens in his house was rabid, and his daughter had to go through the series of shots...That is scary.

Dogs are another story.

If the people are upper middle class and have had their dogs vaccinated etc, then it is probably alright to pet and play with them. However, many Dominican have a different take on domestic animals, one of see butnot touch...

Our three will wear you out with affection, but others might not be that welcoming...

HB