Writing a will

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Apologies if this has been covered before but the word "will" is too short for the search engine.

My wife & I have a property in the Dom Rep. I've been advised by my advocate here that it may be simpler to have a second will written in DR for the property there and a primary will here covering UK (Isle of Man actually) assests. Both wills would then refer to each other.

Would that be an easy option as far as DR law is concerned and secondly, would we both have to sign the wills in person, in front of the lawyer there? My wife is unlikely to be visiting until late next year at the earliest. The property is incorporated in both our names.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio Guzman will be responding. He is the lawyer who answers questions in this section.

But I can pass on my own experience. It may or may not fit in your case. Wait for Fabio's reply.

I asked Fabio a similar question a few years ago. The way it ended up was that he reviewed the will we have on file in the US and said that it met the requirements of Dominican law and would be accepted by the courts here with respect to the property we own via the company we formed.

He will answer the question you posted, but if the present will needs to be reviewed, etc., that will be done privately by him with you as a client for that purpose. But he or someone he assigns in his office is who I would recommend that you work with this on.

There has been discussion on this in past. I will see if I can find it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In my opinion, having your current will reviewed here and any subsequent changes reviewed here and then dealing with additional lawyers time etc upon the death of one of the parties will cost significantly more in legal fees then just getting a will done here! It is easier and much less costly in the long run. My understanding is that you can have it signed and notarized elsewhere. BUT, Fabio Guzman can please confirm that.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Corp. vs. individaul ownership? ? ?

The OP stated that the property in question is held by a corp. in both of our names.

* In my experience, this is not legally possible. A corp. is in effect an artificial person, which can own property, R E or other assets in its name.

* The individual then can own stock in the corp., not the assets in the corporate name. I surmise that this is what the OP meant.

* It may be easier or cheaper to dispose of stock in a DR corp. [not the actual DR R E] via a foreign will; or placing the corp.stock in the name of a trust? Or, in a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship with the next generation, ie whoever would inherit the stock under your will. All of these are legal under British & American law.

* Related questions: has anyone actually gone thru the DR probate process? I mean the successful passage of title to DR R E from one, now deceased, generation to the next surviving, generation? Under a foreign will? Under a DR will? Costs? Time involved? Translations? Legal fees? I think that many of us, no longer enjoying youth [?], are quite interested. Thank you.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You can choose either way: to have the stock in your Dominican company taken care of by will in the U.S., or to do a separate Dominican will for any assets you may have in the Dominican Republic.

If the property were in the name of an individual or a couple, not a corp., I'd recommend a Dominican will since transferring the property to the heirs, which involves a special proceeding at the Land Court, would be easier.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
sorry, yes, I meant my wife & I own the stock, the company owns the property.

Thank you for the responses and in particular for taking the time to find the previous thread. I'm much clearer now.