Laptop stolen in Sosua - reward will be paid if laptop returns

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Today a guy stole my friends laptop. A dominican walked into the restaurant, snatched the laptop out of his hands while he was working on the computer and took of on a motoconcho waiting outside. Happened on Pedro Clisante at appr. 3 pm. There were people in the restaurant at the time but everything happened som fast. He for sure had balls - I guess they are getting desperate for money.

Signalement: Black, curly hair... hmmm seriously if somebody sees or are offered a Toshiba laptop, 15,4 inch screen with Scandinavian keyboard (???) please PM me - reward will be paid if laptop returns.

A

apostropheman

i certainly hope it turns up.

it might be worth the effort to go tot he local compra-vendas, perhaps in Los Charamicos as well. it may even help to go to the police station in sosua and tell them.

it might be very helpful if he could find a pic of a similar computer to give out with his phone number on it, and the reward offered...just a thought

what restaurant was your friend in when this happened?

N

naturelover

i;ll bet it was the britannia, there was two people using them in there today one sat right on the table nearest the road asking for it to be snatched

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... there was two people using them in there today one sat right on the table nearest the road asking for it to be snatched...

those of you who know sosua well - is naturelover right?

his comment surprises me that he'd consider someone sitting in a restaurant (close to the road or not) working on their laptop was 'asking for it to be snatched'.

i'd consider such an event to not be common. who's right?

N

naturelover

the lap top i saw was balanced on the table with no one between it and the road....no-one was holding it......

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
those of you who know sosua better than i do, is naturelover right?

his comment surprises me that he'd consider someone sitting in a restaurant (close to the road or not) working on their laptop was 'asking for it to be snatched'.

i'd consider such an event to not be common. who's right?

Yes indeed naturelover was correct, like as in right on the money. There are many, many (DR1.members) who insist they need the laptop.

So this dude gets ripped off of his laptop. Who cares, I don't.

A

apostropheman

1. not everyone in Sosua is on vacation.

2. some restaurants, more and more it seems, offer wifi as an incentive to eat and hang out there.

3. i know many people in Sosua that use their laptop for work, etc...

4. i have used mine as it's faster than most computers, configured the way i like it...there are many valid potential reasons.

5. just because someone is using a laptop does not mean they're "asking for it" necessarily

6. this is not a common experience, getting a laptop stolen from a restaurant, but as Christmas and New Years get closer...it's a desperate time for some so be more careful!

7. many people here "care" when friends and/or people they know have something negative happen to them. i know i would care and so would my friends...:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So this dude gets ripped off of his laptop. Who cares, I don't.

Birdman:

Is that nice, someone needs a vacation to DR!

I spend weeks @ a time in Sosua and often work from my laptop, so it is helpful to know a laptop is a target at ANY hotspot.

I usually have a cable lock in my 'puter bag, so if I do not wanna stay glued to my machine, I cable it to the table and chairs.

I hope the OP finds their machine.

tambo'

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Keep the answers coming, please.

2 say 'expect your laptop to be a target for theft if used in a Sosua restaurant'
2 say 'it is not a common experience'

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
1. not everyone in Sosua is on vacation.

2. some restaurants, more and more it seems, offer wifi as an incentive to eat and hang out there.

3. i know many people in Sosua that use their laptop for work, etc...

4. i have used mine as it's faster than most computers, configured the way i like it...there are many valid potential reasons.

5. just because someone is using a laptop does not mean they're "asking for it" necessarily

6. this is not a common experience, getting a laptop stolen from a restaurant, but as Christmas and New Years get closer...it's a desperate time for some so be more careful!

7. many people here "care" when friends and/or people they know have something negative happen to them. i know i would care and so would my friends...:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

It happened in Hambuger Paradise, right opposite of Club Residencial - but it could have happened anywhere I guess. I mean the guy had his hands on the keyboard, guy walks in calm, then just snatches it, runs out, jump on a moto belonging to his friend. We tried to catch him but he was on the motobike in a few seconds...There were like 8 people in the restaurant. The guy had balls - christmas time, desperate....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some folks wouldn't be able to take vacations if they weren't able to bring thier laptops.
To wonder why they bring them is absurd.
I'm in the US right now and could not have made this trip without my laptop, as I need to be rapidly accesible with all my reservation data.
Anyhow, back to the issue at hand.
The problem isn't that people are taking risks with laptops by being in wifi hotspots.
It's where they are that makes the difference.
Any terrace type place on mainstreet will be an easy target.
That is clear and evident by the constant harassment of vendors, shoeshine boys, beggars, etc.
If you sit on a mainstreet terrace, you should no more leave your laptop out, than a wallet or cellphone.
The thieves can drive by and spot you, plan their theft and pull a quick hit & run.
There are many wifi hotspots in town which do not tempt fate that way, including hotel/condo rooms that have wifi.
If you're sitting inside an enclosed restaurant like la Roca, Eddy's or Rocky's with your laptop, you're as safe there as at home.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your friend might want to offer the police a "reward" IF they can find it!! I am sure they know where stolen stuff is sold..

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Handbags and laptops.

At one time they used to warn ladies in restaurants not to put their handbangs on the floor. The bad guys walk by and simply walk away with them.(In fact one trick was to use the curved part of a cane and just scoop it up).

So I would assume "laptops" are the item of choice in our new society.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
At one time they used to warn ladies in restaurants not to put their handbangs on the floor. The bad guys walk by and simply walk away with them.(In fact one trick was to use the curved part of a cane and just scoop it up).

So I would assume "laptops" are the item of choice in our new society.
That's right.
It's not rocket science and it's not particular to Sosua.
It could happen anywhere.
If you sit on a terrace on a busy street, don't leave anything out that can be quickly grabbed.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Why do you need a laptop while on vacation?

So that I can read DR1 posts? So that I can see how much money I lost in the U.S.? So that I don't come down from type "A" to "relaxed" too fast?
So that I can see that AA cancelled my flight and didn't call my cell like I told them to?
Mas??

N

naturelover

you wouldnt leave an expensive camera,jewellery or a purse sitting on a restaurant table or would you