Time for status changes on DR1????

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Just sitting here thinking back on some recent posts and a thought occured to me.... would it make more sense to have a new system of status in place?

I know we all get excited when we hit a new level -silver, gold, whatever it may be! LOL

But....

What if everyone who posts must answer a "skill-testing" question related to how much they know about the DR, and then they carry that title with them for a period of time, before they can prove that they are actually learning something about the country, the people, the culture etc. by taking another "test"

I have just been noticing lately that there are newbies that post that have not got a clue - but know everything there ever was to know about living, working etc. in the DR. :cheeky:

I have also noticed some new posters that are geniunely knowledgable, and have either lived in the DR, still live in the DR, married to a Dominican etc. that are labelled (of course because they do not have as many posts as the "oldtimers") as a newbie and maybe are not taken so seriously!

I think that maybe then the newcomers would have a better feel who they can actually trust to give them sound judgement and advise. We all know that many DR1'rs post non-stop (some with such stupid drivel) and then because they have turned silver or gold, people think that their word is the gospel!

I think that it would also bring people to respect the answers and advise they are given more when it comes from someone who actually deserves their title.

Just a random thought... what do you think about it?

Marlie

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
"Gracias"....

We all know that many DR1'rs post non-stop (some with such stupid drivel) and then because they have turned silver or gold, people think that their word is the gospel!
"THANKS A LOOOOOOT!!!!".....And I thought you liked me, wahahahahaha!!.

Seriously, I think your idea is a very good one.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
"THANKS A LOOOOOOT!!!!".....And I thought you liked me, wahahahahaha!!.

Seriously, I think your idea is a very good one.

OP, your idea sounds good but will probably never happen, sorry. It would be great to have HB rated as the best source of info and, "sorry to say" hehehe but Miguel as the other source of fantastic humorus posts who can back his stuff up. Give them a 10* rating! If a poster reaches that level, they do deserve a Winners Cup.

Miguel I don't know how to do the Whooooooooooooo Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Yeeeeeeeeeee stuff you do ;)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Seriously, I think your idea is a very good one

I guess not good enough since only two people bothered to comment on it!!

LOL

Oh well, I guess this thread does not have enough any drama-inducing content to make it interesting to read! ;)

Marlie

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Does anyone believe all the crap they read on the internet or even on this forum? And who would be the ultimate judge and make up these "test questions?" Everyone's experience with the DR is a little different so who is to judge one OPINION from another. Besides, isn't that why DR1 has moderators?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't give up, Marlie. It is an interesting idea. But there are problems, too. For example, somebody who has only made one trip to the DR could still be an expert on something experienced on that trip, perhaps something that those of us who live here were not aware of.

And just living here by itself isn't enough, either. I know people living here ( I am not talking about dr1ers) who spend most of their time in bars complaining how mismanaged things are in the DR. I don't pay much attention to what they have to say about anything even though they live here.

But perhaps a first step might be a symbol designating a person who lives here.

Robert is the one you should send your idea to.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I like it!

Your post took the words out of my mouth.

I have less than 50 posts and was just called a "newbie" in one of my other threads.

I don't consider myself to be an expert in any way possible....but I do think I know my way around....I know how not to be taken advantage of...I have lived there long term & short stays too....I am definitely not a newbie.

I know there is a lot more to learn but that I do have some advice worth sharing based on my experiences.

I like your idea and support it 150%.

I don't know what can be tested to show our true status but maybe a little profile description could be posted that gives a little insight as to how long someone has lived there etc??

just an idea!
Sangria

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have the option of using a reputation system based on poster feedback.

It's based on points and everybody starts at zero.
The more points you're given by other users, the higher your reputation level.

siegs

May 9, 2006

Very cool idea.
Some kind of interactive feedback.
Another reason to get even more hooked on DR1...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Buena idea.....

This sounds like a superb idea.

Would users be able to give more than one point to a certain member?.

I ask because time and time again, we see newbies (and at times oldtimers) that as long as you agree with them, you are "ok" in their book...Therefore, they may want to give that poster more than one point.

Edited to add:

Marlie, darling, I still would NOT change one bit....Hate me, love me... I can't help but be myself.

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ken - you brought up some very valid points which I did not think of. The bar stool "experts" are the most disasterous, I agree! Also, you are right about how one person may have experienced things that the other hasn't, whether they live there or not. Excellent feedback, thank you!

sangria - thank you for your support! LOL I am not really trying to lobby for a drastic change, just throwing out some ideas that may help people when trying to decipher between who is being truthful and knowledgeable and who is blowing a lot of hot air!! I also thought it would encourage newcomers to be a little more respectful toward the persons who are actually trying to help them.

Robert - that is an interesting option. LOL - I can just see it - everyone would be on their best behaviour just so they can see how many points they could earn!! Kind of like a "kindler and gentler DR1"

Thank you for your comments.

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
.......... everyone would be on their best behaviour just so they can see how many points they could earn!! Kind of like a "kindler and gentler DR1"

Other than those who might feel it reminds them of 'school' or who don't engage competitively......? ;)

just throwing out some ideas that may help people when trying to decipher between who is being truthful and knowledgeable and who is blowing a lot of hot air!!

I can see where you're aiming with this, Marlie, & the idea is good. But if someone is serious about finding out if a poster's information has merit through knowledge or experience shouldn't they themselves be checking some of that persons previous posts? I wouldn't really be in favour of anything which did away with the necessity for people to do their own homework about a poster, just as in the same vein they need to do their own homework about the DR if they plan moving here. Just slightly concerned that a 'rating' system might give people the excuse not to go through a process which in itself is a great learning tool. And if people can't see through the 'hot air blowers' :) are they really right for the DR anyway? I know, I keep pushing self-reliance, but only because I see less & less of it.

The other thing I wonder about is 'what could go wrong?' :ermm: Would DR1 need various disclaimers to deal with Dissatisfied from Dallas, for example? The sort of person who writes 'I followed the advice of one of your 5 star rated posters and found it to be extremely ill-advised because..........' etc etc. and then tries to get litigious..............

Not pouring cold water, Marlie, just debating some of the 'what ifs'.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I know, I keep pushing self-reliance, but only because I see less & less of it.

Please keep pushing it, life would be so much better for our selves and our fellow man. What ever happened to people being responsible for their lives!!! If people only tried a little of self-reliance they would be surprised at the potential we have inside.

Rely all you want on the guy next to you, but doing some homework yourself is ultimately more rewarding.

Which brings me to......
I think that maybe then the newcomers would have a better feel who they can actually trust to give them sound judgement and advise. We all know that many DR1'rs post non-stop (some with such stupid drivel) and then because they have turned silver or gold, people think that their word is the gospel!

It's too bad that some people cannot recognize that bronze, silver and gold just means a numerical number of post's has been achieved. Some are knowledgeable and some are garbage. Its not that difficult, you figured it out. If people can't figure this out then a dosage of self-reliance is prescribed.

(my bolding)

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

Aaaargh! No! Then the mods would have to figure out which poster is giving him/herself points! :laugh::laugh:

Besides the jokes .. Marlie it is a good topic to explore.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Aaaargh! No! Then the mods would have to figure out which poster is giving him/herself points! :laugh::laugh:

Oh I think we could make educated guesses........:laugh::laugh: But your comment indicates that rating would be anonymous. Yes? In which case, forget it (from my point of view). People should be able to say it to my face, or post on a board or send a PM or.................not rate at all. Can you imagine the sort of threads we'd get from those of paranoid persuasion 'Why is XXXXX 5 star & XXXXXXXXX is only 3 star?' Wouldn't do an awful lot for the general standard of posting................other than probably lower it.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
As one who is considered a newbie here, I appreciate and respect the mod's oppinions. I think they have been chosen for a reason.
Maybe there can be mod's and co-mods to the forums so that we know their info is accurate and on point.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I duno about this whole thing.
The whole idea has merrit....
However there is just too much room for failure and/or (perhaps a more accurate word) frauds!!!!
If anything, something such as a list of valued posters...such as (besides the mods) Hillbilly, Rocky, Miguel, AZB,Chirimorya, Jan, Lambada, Bushbaby, Planner..etc... (please don't take offense if I didn't mention you, but I'm just mentioning some of the well known clearly knowledgeable posters..besides the obvious Robert and Delores..off the top of my head)
Anyone who spends any amount of time on this board will know who is who...and if in doubt ask any one of the mentioned ppl above and get a straight answer.

I think all DR1 members are very helpful...so while for newbies it may take sometime to figure out who is who..if they are really intrested..they will figure it out! :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I find that even those who come across as useless in many topics sometimes hit a good vein or two on some others. Being that opinions are based on personal acceptance of a person's knowledge, it would prove fruitless to award points/awards on that pretense.

I have enjoyed DR1 for some years now, sometimes from afar others close.
I think giving any member a title or more weight on the posted opinions would in fact create a bias atmosphere if anything; therefore rendering the current open format obsolete and irrelevant.

Just think that even the knowledge of our Fabio Guzman, being a credited and license lawyer of the DR could in fact have some shortcomings to the extend of his experience in the field of Law in the DR.

I.E.: Mr. Guzman may not be a criminal lawyer nor have represented or defended a criminal case in DR's court system, not undue to his lack of knowledge but area of expertise. Where areas a newbie member just went through his own viacrucix on the mater at hand posted by some lost soul in the forum and as such could provide some info to that person...

It's all objective and plausible.

I know of a very good engineer that can answer most questions in the field of his expertise, but Lord and behold! Don't take any opinion of his into consideration on race as his views are "twisted" on the matter.

I love the current format that DR1 employs...
I love the mugshot gallery where we can see our fellow DR1's in their non-keyboarded form. LOL!!!

BTW Robert: How can one access the media gallery from the top menu bar without having to type www.dr1.com/media

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "OP's" Idea Is NOT Feasable!

For reasons too numerous to go into!
ROBERT's idea is really good!
I would like to have all DR1ers rate all posts, and/or posters!
Perhaps all posts could be rated9 (1 thru 10???) and then all posters "Average" score could appear by their name along with their "DR1 Name".
CRIS COLON

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Besides looking at the ranking and number of posts, it is helpful to look at the join date! Some posters rack up posts in a very short period of time, doesn't mean they know anything at all. Other times posters have been members for years and have a few posts but know a lot! It all goes into the mix.

I like Roberts idea along with what we already have!