Tavares Resevoir fishing

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I made a new Dominican friend today, the father of one of the classmates of my daughter, and he has invited me to go fishing up at Tavares Resevoir. He says the water is very clean in many areas and that there many fish and it is ok to eat them.

Can anybody verify this?

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Remember they dump a body a week in that lake. the rules are Catch and release...

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Besides that Chip...there are only big bass up there anyway.....

.......you don't want to eat that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I know dominicans fishing and eating fish from that lake all the time.
AZB

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
If you go please take some pictures. I would love to see what fish are caught and what lures/bait are used.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2005
if it is a lake closer to LaVega...my buddies fish it all the time. They catch large mouth bass and eat them all.

they have a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 40 yamaha on it ..so since I havent seen the lake, I think it must be decent in size.

take care and good fishing

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Where is Tavares Resevoir located Chip, what?s the closet city, etc?

I was wondering if it is the one above Sabana Iglesia, I don?t know the name of it.
I have been there a few times by motorbike, beautiful view.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
thing is Dominican have no notion of conservation and think that everything they catch is to eat...BULL....
this is why the fishing is so poor is many spots...if you talk the the real fishermen that gather just down the street from my house, they'll tell you how it is. Bao-Tavera is in danger of losing its attraction to fishermen, due to over fishing....And fishing can be a major tourist attraction...those guys spend money almost like golfers...

HB

BTW: That is the Bao (left) - Tavera (right) lake complex. Almost due northis the airport. the entrance is there at the Moca crossroads...turn right...

San Jos? de las Matas is to the west..

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Just remember to wear footwear in the water....broken glass near shore always leads to a painful trip back down to STI....knew some folks that got 35 stitches up there 2 weeks ago. yeehaw!

Sep 19, 2005
does this look like the same resivoir?

I had thought I was looking down into LavVega when I took this picture...but I might have been off alittle, that is why i thought the lake was in LaVega or near there!!. From Chips google link this looks like the same lake..

we were getting some AIR that day!! ha ha
80x1651.jpg

bob

Pete6508

Dec 8, 2007
Awwwww,
your all making me jealous, here I am looking at 5" of bloody snow and its cold outside ...gawd I love Canada next time fishing is through the ICE.
Hillbilly, you are right, we do spend money like crazy nice to know there would be fish

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Next time downhere, let me know and I'll introduce you to my fishing friends...there are lots of local tournaments....

HB

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
What other fish are in there besides largemouths? Catfish, carp, tilapia, any kind of sunfish?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What other fish are in there besides largemouths? Catfish, carp, tilapia, any kind of sunfish?

The guy told me there was carpia? (a long gamefish with white meat) and bass and a type of carp as well.

I would recommend to all true sportsmen to practice catch and release as apparently the fishing population is on the verge of failing. I hope you guys concurr.