Escape del Mar

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Does anyone have any opinions on Escape del Mar restaurant...malecon Puerto Plata?

I am considering changing my wedding venue to here because it is has much nicer decor....ocean front...better view etc.

Has anyone eaten here that can comment on the food, service etc..?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks!
Sangria

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Does anyone have any opinions on Escape del Mar restaurant...malecon Puerto Plata?

I am considering changing my wedding venue to here because it is has much nicer decor....ocean front...better view etc.

Just my 2 cents (pesos), I've been to many islands. If I were to get re-married I'd go to St. Lucia...Club St. Lucia has a wedding gazebo hanging off a cliff over the ocean...breath taking, VERY ROMANTIC.

Good luck with your wedding.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me voy a poner......

Any info is appreciated

Thanks!
Sangria
This is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

I would tell my Dominican boyfriend to drive (or hop into a bus) and go to Escape Del Mar restaurant and ask the owner ALLL the questions I have.

I would also tell him to take lots of pictures of the place and send them to me.

People have different taste and what a member likes doesn't necessarily means YOU will like.

Get my drift?.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Any info is appreciated

Thanks!
Sangria

Escape Del Mar is just a few steps away from where I live.
As a restaurant, I don't know if I do it injustice by saying that I think that it is a tourist trap that doesn't seem to work well as such either. I did NOT eat there, but I went in there with some people... it was dinner time (noon) and besides some carpenters doing repairs (yes, during dinner time), and some personnel, we where the only ones. We sat down and looked at the menu and decided we weren't that desperate and left. From their reaction (or lack thereof) I would gather we weren't the first ones to have done this.
Yes, the setting is not just nice and romantic... it's unique. Still, the wooden building would require a lot of maintenance, maintenance it has apparently not always been blessed with.
I can't say how good the food is, but I seem to have noticed a certain lack (loss?) of interest.
I jog the malecon when ever I can, I seldom see any or much people in there.
If it is of interest to you, yes, as Miguel recommended, I would have some Dominicans contact the management and work out a deal with them.
Even Cosita Rica, next to it, may do more business and the food there lately is mediocre at best and yet too expensive. But they sell icy cold beer!

Keep in mind, in this country, places who really have a good concept and a good price-quality ratio do function... just look at Maimon: There is ONE of the fish places that is always packed with people.... and it's the "ugliest" of'em all... still it's the best working one and the one that probably does more business than all the others around it combined.

... J-D.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
This is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

I would tell my Dominican boyfriend to drive (or hop into a bus) and go to Escape Del Mar restaurant and ask the owner ALLL the questions I have.

I would also tell him to take lots of pictures of the place and send them to me.

People have different taste and what a member likes doesn't necessarily means YOU will like.

Get my drift?.

You can direct your "drifts" elsewhere...maybe in the direction of a newbie or out to sea...

I asked for opinions of the food/service at the restaurant.

I am sure that many people eat out & would have an opinion on this restaurant if they have been there.

Many people give restaurant reviews...is it such a strange question that I asked?

If everyone has their own taste & their opinions should not be considered...then what is the point of reviews? Movies, hotels, theatre, restaurants are all reviewed....is this a waste?

Maybe you should answer all the posts where people ask for hotel suggestions and write the same thing you have written here.

"People have different taste and what a member likes doesn't necessarily means YOU will like"

I personally have all the pictures I need of the restaurant & took them myself in person when WE met with the chef to discuss the menu....but thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Unfortunately due to Tropicale Storm Noel we didn't have the opportunity to try the food...

Have you personally eaten dinner there? If so what did YOU think about YOUR dinner Miguel?...not that I would use your opinion alone to make any decision of course

If not I look forward to hearing from anyone else that has eaten there & may have an opinion on the quality of food at this restaurant.

Sangria

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I have eaten there, more than once!......

Last edited by a moderator:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hey, hey, hey....Hold it a second "toughie"..Take your frustration out on whomever "crapped" in your breakfast!.

What's wrong with saying that just because a member says he likes it or dislike it doesn't mean you will like it or not like it.....The only way to know is to actually see it (or eat) for yourself.

If 5 says they didn't like it and 5 say they did, you will be back to square one.

Ever hear of "Opinions are like axxholes, everybody has one?.

I didn't mean to hit a nerve but I guess the "boyfriend" comment was what you concentrated on....Get a grip as I, for once, didn't mean anything by it.

Annd yes, I say that ALLL the time ANNNND I have eaten there, more than once!......Relax newbie, relax...

first of all i am not a newbie...i may only have a few posts but i am not new to the DR or this board.

second of all i didnt concentrate on the boyfriend comment...you put that in both of your posts....(irrelevant to my question)

thirdly ... you assumed I have not been to escape del mar...you assumed that i needed pictures sent to me...(irrelevant to my question)

i know you dont know me or know where I have or haven't been ....BUT the point is I asked about a restaurant review...not what you think my boyfriend should be doing or what transportation method he should take to get there.

So...really what I am looking for are answers to my question....

I respect the opinions of the members on this board.

I have never once had someone make a rude comment towards myself or my fiancee (except Miss November....but really I doubt that counts)....and I won't stand for it now in any form (blatant or incinuated)

I don't appreciate my question/thread being turned into anything more than shared information....

SO...if you think I am trying to be a "toughie"...thats not true.

If I wanted to start a fight I would have commented about Don Pedros ridiculous comment.

I am simply asking for opinions & reviews about FOOD....and nothing more.

Putting all this aside, I would still value your opinion on your dining experience if you are willing to share your thoughts.

Cheers
Sangria

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sangria I agree with you and if you wish to get 10 or 100 reviews you should be able to ask that without someone telling you what to do.

Reviews are good thing to have and you can get a feel for the place that way. Yes everyone has different tastes but it's still good to have a mix of reviews of a restaurant, movie, hotel and whatever.

Just ignore posts you don't like. No point getting upset with people that have to give opinions rather than answer the question asked. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Otra vez.....

first of all i am not a newbie...i may only have a few posts but i am not new to the DR or this board.

second of all i didnt concentrate on the boyfriend comment...you put that in both of your posts....(irrelevant to my question)

thirdly ... you assumed I have not been to escape del mar...you assumed that i needed pictures sent to me...(irrelevant to my question)

i know you dont know me or know where I have or haven't been ....BUT the point is I asked about a restaurant review...not what you think my boyfriend should be doing or what transportation method he should take to get there.

So...really what I am looking for are answers to my question....

I respect the opinions of the members on this board.

I have never once had someone make a rude comment towards myself or my fiancee (except Miss November....but really I doubt that counts)....and I won't stand for it now in any form (blatant or incinuated)

I don't appreciate my question/thread being turned into anything more than shared information....

SO...if you think I am trying to be a "toughie"...thats not true.

If I wanted to start a fight I would have commented about Don Pedros ridiculous comment.

I am simply asking for opinions & reviews about FOOD....and nothing more.

Putting all this aside, I would still value your opinion on your dining experience if you are willing to share your thoughts.

Cheers
Sangria
I will tell you again....I didn't mean it in a bad way....Now, I will "move away" from this thread because I am starting to get "hungry" and MOST know what happens when I get "hungry".

Yes, I liked the food....BUUUT one person in the group didn't.... So THERE!.

Have a happy wedding!.

Of course Anna...., wink, wink!!....AND BTW: This "people" has a NAME!.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bless you, JD, I was about to ask 'where is this place?' & make a complete fool of myself (even after living 15 years in PP). This is the old Neptuno, isn't it, revamped & I presume new owners since Neptuno belonged to PP Beach Resort when it was a hotel. It's fairly new (a year maybe?). Went in for a look around once when I was meeting a friend at Cosita Rica next door. Decor seemed nice but there were no customers. In fact having driven past on a number of occasions I don't think I've ever seen customers in there. When I went in to look around no one thought I came to eat because no-one offered me a menu. There was someone washing the floors with a hosepipe so I played jump the rivulets.........Perhaps they use daytime for maintenance & have customers in the evenings?

The tourist excursions in that vicinity for lunch go to Walter's, up Hermanas Mirabel. I've never seen a tourist bus parked outside Escape del Mar.

I imagine if you're using it for a private function like a wedding you wouldn't need to worry about hordes of onlookers. Sorry, sangria, I can't tell you anything about the food there. Maybe Miguel could expand a little on his dining experience because clearly neither JD nor I know anyone who has eaten there & Miguel has eaten there more than once.

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Thank you Anna for your support.

Lambada...out of the 2 times I was there to meet the chef there was only 2 tables (4 people total). It was mid afternoon so I think we were definitely between eating times...there was also alot of cleaning happening too (hopefully a good sign)...

It is a beautiful location with the terrace looking out at the ocean and hopefully the food is as good as the ambience & view.

Thank you Miguel for your review....I think 4 out of 5 if pretty good.

oh....and I may I suggest "Escape del Mar" for lunch today if you are getting hungry

just kidding...all in fun

Have a good one
Sangria

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
maybe not so good...

this is just to share some information....

yesterday my fiancee picked up our "quote" if you want to call it that.

it was supposed to include the menu, timing, bar/food prices etc.

nothing we discussed in person with the chef was listed on the quote except rice & broccoli !!

I first thought maybe he made an honest mistake & gave us the wrong menu...

It turns out that this is how they operate...

They tell you one thing & then do another.

We know 2 other couples (2 daughters from same family) that were hosting their weddings here...one in 2 weeks & one in jan 09.

As of last week, the father gave a 32,000 deposit and suddenly the contract changed & they have cancelled are going to court to try to get the money back.

Our wedding planner will not work there due to previous bad experiences with the owners & the chef told my fiancee he has many problems with brides & grooms. (hmmmmm I wonder why)

I am just sharing this info for anyone who is considering this beautiful location for any event to be very cautious before proceeding.

I first thought that maybe no one had a restaurant review because it has been closed for so long but now I see it is because they probably dont have any repeat customers.

sangria

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Para que aprenda....

this is just to share some information....

yesterday my fiancee picked up our "quote" if you want to call it that.

it was supposed to include the menu, timing, bar/food prices etc.

nothing we discussed in person with the chef was listed on the quote except rice & broccoli !!

I first thought maybe he made an honest mistake & gave us the wrong menu...

It turns out that this is how they operate...

They tell you one thing & then do another.

We know 2 other couples (2 daughters from same family) that were hosting their weddings here...one in 2 weeks & one in jan 09.

As of last week, the father gave a 32,000 deposit and suddenly the contract changed & they have cancelled are going to court to try to get the money back.

Our wedding planner will not work there due to previous bad experiences with the owners & the chef told my fiancee he has many problems with brides & grooms. (hmmmmm I wonder why)

I am just sharing this info for anyone who is considering this beautiful location for any event to be very cautious before proceeding.

I first thought that maybe no one had a restaurant review because it has been closed for so long but now I see it is because they probably dont have any repeat customers.

sangria
See, this is what I was trying to tell you, that just because a few tell you they like it and that it's a wonderful place, it doesn't mean you will feel the say way. That's all!!!!!.

See, it took your fiancee to go there, as I adviced and was almost killed by you, to find out they are NOT what they seem to be.

There are other wonderful places out there and perhaps others can advice you on it.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Dont flatter yourself

See, this is what I was trying to tell you, that just because a few tell you they like it and that it's a wonderful place, it doesn't mean you will feel the say way. That's all!!!!!.

See, it took your fiancee to go there, as I adviced and was almost killed by you, to find out they are NOT what they seem to be.

There are other wonderful places out there and perhaps others can advice you on it.

Dont be so quick to pat yourself on the back Miguel....I haven't learned anything from your "advice".

There is no need for an "I told you so" because frankly you didn't tell me anything I haven't already done.

Besides your review of 4 out of 5 people liked it, nothing else you have said in this thread has been very useful.

If you read my posts instead of just jumping to assumptions...I have already been there (in person...myself), met with the chef, discussed pricing and all pertinent details. I didn't need your suggestion to send my fiancee there...

I have been in the wedding/catering industry for over 10 years. We are not idiots, nor are we about to spend a chunk of money on a unreputable establishment.

What happened yesterday and what has unfolded in the last few days is because WE (as in both of us...) have been asking around for opinions & reviews in order to make the best decision possible.

Food is only one part of planning a wedding or any event but it is a very important one.

Good word of mouth is the best reputation any restaurant can have and at the moment Escape del Mar isn't meeting our standards.

I once had an employer that said, "you are only as good as your last job". This is advice worth listening too.

In the end, it doesn't matter if 1000 people gave the food good reviews...if they can't provide the menu & pricing we verbally agreed upon then I have to ask what else they will change at the last moment....after we have paid & its too late to do anything about it.

The other family had an agreement to include the bar (1 all inclusive price per person) and then after the deposit was given the bar suddenly became a separate charge.

I am disappointed that we cant trust escape del mar to put on a great event & also that we can't rent the venue & provide our own food/bar because it is a great location for a wedding...

I am sharing what we have learned to help others who may be considering this location.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Otra vez...

Dont be so quick to pat yourself on the back Miguel....I haven't learned anything from your "advice".

There is no need for an "I told you so" because frankly you didn't tell me anything I haven't already done.

Besides your review of 4 out of 5 people liked it, nothing else you have said in this thread has been very useful.

If you read my posts instead of just jumping to assumptions...I have already been there (in person...myself), met with the chef, discussed pricing and all pertinent details. I didn't need your suggestion to send my fiancee there...

I have been in the wedding/catering industry for over 10 years. We are not idiots, nor are we about to spend a chunk of money on a unreputable establishment.

What happened yesterday and what has unfolded in the last few days is because WE (as in both of us...) have been asking around for opinions & reviews in order to make the best decision possible.

Food is only one part of planning a wedding or any event but it is a very important one.

Good word of mouth is the best reputation any restaurant can have and at the moment Escape del Mar isn't meeting our standards.

I once had an employer that said, "you are only as good as your last job". This is advice worth listening too.

In the end, it doesn't matter if 1000 people gave the food good reviews...if they can't provide the menu & pricing we verbally agreed upon then I have to ask what else they will change at the last moment....after we have paid & its too late to do anything about it.

The other family had an agreement to include the bar (1 all inclusive price per person) and then after the deposit was given the bar suddenly became a separate charge.

I am disappointed that we cant trust escape del mar to put on a great event & also that we can't rent the venue & provide our own food/bar because it is a great location for a wedding...

I am sharing what we have learned to help others who may be considering this location.
Becuase of "smarty alley" and "know-it-all" attittude is that not many people are trying to help you.

Keep up the "good" work!.

Btw: I never said my group consisted of 5 people, so stop ASSuming!.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
bien miguel

good answer!!!...if so experienced in catering, why bother in "...just asking about FOOD..and nothing more"

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
good answer!!!...if so experienced in catering, why bother in "...just asking about FOOD..and nothing more"

People should learn to read before jumping in. She did say that they checked out the place and asked the questions but due to Noel they never had a chance to try out the food.

Now stop highjacking this thread if you can't answer the question asked in the original post:tired:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You know, on a day when they're dragging dead bodies out of the mud in Santiago, when many communities have lost everything they possess, I really hope this thread doesn't deteriorate to a slanging match. In the light of the bigger picture it would just be too obscenely petty.

sangria, are you wanting alternative suggestions? If so, Quo Vadis on Luis Ginebra has a good reputation foodwise. If you're not, enjoy your wedding wherever it is.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
thanks again lambada.

I think we will stay with our original choice & work with our wedding planner that knows what she is doing....(and was given a great review from Planner)

This way no stress or worry about the food, the bar or the $$$ aspect.

I appreciate your suggestion & definitely will check it out...if not for our wedding then for a nice dinner at the very least.

For miguel, I dont claim to know it all. If I did I wouldn't need to ask any questions. I just don't appreciate being treated like I am stupid. I appreciate your comment on the food and disregard the rest.

These forums are to ask for help, information, share stories & make new friends. I hope we can move past this and maybe this thread will help someone else in the future.

My thoughts & best wishes to everyone recovering from the storm.

Sangria