Which camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For all you Photo guys - which camera should I get? I can't make up my mind Canon or Nikon. I've decided to upgrade to the Digital SLR so Nikon D80 WITH 18-135 lens or Canon D30 or Rebel XTi? Anyone with positive or negative experiences with either. I will be taking plenty of indoor pictures.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Bob.
You can't go wrong with any of those choices. Personally, I have always used Nikons.
While you're comparing cameras also look into choice of lenses and their prices. I know Nikon lenses are very expensive. I can personally recommend Sigma lenses which are less expensive yet still very good.
Paul

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am leaning towards the Nikon as I already have a Coolpic 5400. I prefer the the Nikon menu works, but man the prices are high. Berzin I've used that site extensively but after reading all the reviews I'm still a little confused. Either way, I'll be buying a Digital SLR. Nikon gives a two year warranty, another attractive feature. Amity, your pictures on your blog-site are great. I grew up in such a beautiful place in British Columbia( Bella Coola) that I took nature for granted, with all sorts of pictures in my mind, so perhaps its time to start capturing these visions. Thanks for the help.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I know this is not in question..but I would personally go with the Fuji S5 Pro.
CCD on this unit quite above what is available on the Nikon's..altough the body of the camera is simlar...the S5 takes a huge jump in quality from the S3 which had the same camera body as the Nikon.
Amazing specs...
FinePix S5 Pro
(sorry not trying to advertise) but gives the basic specs of this camera.
I have quite a few friends that are pro photographers that either use this camera and love it, or want it. lol.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
In the DR may not be so easy to "play" without buying.. :p
But I agree..In any NA (North American) store...try out the store models in a Future Shop/Best Buy type place and see what you can get.

If you are not satisfied go to each store international website and see what sort of customer service info you can get from each company...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I really like my Canon 350D, but I cannot compare really because I've never owned a Nikon. With SLRs the choice between Nikon and Canon is significant, because you'll probably be building up a lens system that only fits on one of them, and it isn't as easy to swap between the two brands. Those lenses will surely last longer than your camera. One of my reasons to pick Canon was that I have friends with Canon lenses I could try out.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Bob:
I know that you may think it's me being sarcastic but, most people seldom if ever use their cameras for a Pro photo shoot. Keeping that in mind cost vs. quality+options should be a top priority in your quest for a new camera.

I learned the hard way that some cameras are not meant for us the "casual" shooters, but in fact all bells and whistles that made such models a "must buy" became useless to the point of never having to employ them.

A good camera with decent picture quality could do just fine.

I purchased a Nikon D80 late 2006 for what was a good price then. I had moved up from my late Nikon F5 (a family gift). As I went on to find out as I used my new camera in daily shots, soon it was clear that you had less control over anything and the camera AI took over. Too much AI if you ask me.

I later came across a buddy of mine with what looked like a Pro compact camera in the shape of a Fuji Finepix S7000 and the price he paid blew me away in contrast of the quality on his pics.

I learned quite fast in the digital realm that price is not much the matter but quality vs. cost is.

I mean, don't get me wrong when comparing a Leica R9 to a Coolpix S7000 is not sane to say the least. One must take under account the use it's going to perform for you the buyer and most affected economically by the transaction.

What I meant to say is that sometimes it’s best to be cheap (well not that much) than the early adopter of new fuzzy technologies.

I'm happy with my current choice and if given the chance would had probably opted for a cheaper camera given the seldom use of my digital camera.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
personally, if you want pics that's fine. why not buy a camcorder ? with the some digital cameras, you are in the same price range as camcorders.

just a thought....

Sep 19, 2005
Bob:
I know that you may think it's me being sarcastic but, most people seldom if ever use their cameras for a Pro photo shoot. Keeping that in mind cost vs. quality+options should be a top priority in your quest for a new camera.

I learned the hard way that some cameras are not meant for us the "casual" shooters, but in fact all bells and whistles that made such models a "must buy" became useless to the point of never having to employ them..

I NOW subscribe to this type of thinking . I have bought several things that I picked from a list of "features" first then price... and in the end in almost all of them I never used 75% of those features. from almost all the camcorders I have bought to the last few cameras to my cell phones..I buy bells and whistles that I never play.

but I realize that BEFORE the purchase it is useless trying to convince anyone of that..including myself!!

but I guess sometimes to get that ONE feature that is really important to you, you have to pay for all the features that come with said item as well..

I havent used any of the cameras that people are recomending so i cant add much help I guess...

I would look at some pictures taken by the average joe from thos e cameras in question before you purchase.

you may find you can get all you really need at way less price than you think.

if you buy off the net PM me if you like, and Ill give you a website that I have bought three cameras and a few pairs of binoculars . after tons of surfing they have the best prices I could find.

but remember some of the best deals..are European products that do not come with american warranties...thus their low price...ask before you buy

if you live in eupore ignore the last peice of advice!! ha ha

bad bob

I love my Canon 30D, excellent features, use the standard 18 x 55 lens but do have a 75 x 300 Canon Ultrasonic with Image syabilization as well, my old Nikon was not digital and the lenses on it would not interchange with the Nikon d80.
The specs you listed to me would indicate the standard lense on the Nikon 18 x 135 would give you a bit more overall use range.
If I were going to do it again, it would be Canon EOS 40D which has a live view LCD monitor (3.0") monitor something that Canon has not used before because they are battery users, as well it has built in image stabilization and Tilt correction.
Now it is an expensive point and shoot.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You can't go wrong with either of Nikon or Canon digital SLR cameras. Although because I have some Canon lenses I will probably go for Canon but if you have no ties like this then you can go with either one.

One thing to remember is that the lenses that are bundled in with these cameras are not really that good, don't get me wrong they do the job but once you put on a proper lens (not even a pro one but just a good lens) you can see some amazing differences in your photos. I used to ignore this until I tried it for myself and realised getting an SLR camera without buying some good lenses is a big waste.

So take into account the price of a couple of good lenses on top of the body and go for it and you won't regret it. (I personally recommend lenses like a fixed 50mm - the photos from a good fixed 50mm lens are jaw-dropping and beat any zoom lens - or a zoom that covers 50mm may be up to 100mm for portrait and then something from 100/200-300/350mm.)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Remember with digital cameras and interchangeable lenses...the more you change the lenses the moer dust you are going to be letting into the camera, and you will get dust on the CCD which will need a cleaning (never a warranty covered issue).
I agree it's best to get one good lens and stick with that as much as possible! :)

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
It depends on your intended use(s)

I own the Canon 5D. I went with Canon because I love their lens selection. Especially their Pro series "L" glass. These are some fantastic lenses.

I use the 28-300mm "L" series zoom lens almost exclusively when I travel. With this lens you are prepared for almost any situation and you really cut down on lens swaps which helps a lot to keep dust out of the camera. I just love this lens.

I also wanted a full frame D-SLR and at the time, Canon 5D was the only option without going to their flagship 1D line. Nikon did not have a full frame camera at that time, at least in my price range.

What does full frame do for you? Well, I'm glad you asked :) You do not have to apply a conversion factor to your lens. For example, my 28-300 zoom is exactly that. If you have a 1.3 sensor you need to multiply the lens by that number making your 28-300mm zoom into a 36-390mm zoom. Although this helps with the telephoto aspects of the lens, it really messes with the wide angle lenses. It gets worse if you get a 1.6 sensor.

I hope this helps you out. I also take pictures semi-professionally so the investment I made in this camera/lens combination made sense to me. It probably won't for you.

Just think about what you want to do with the camera and decide if you can live without a full frame sensor then either camera will be good for you.

Take care and good luck.

Rick

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks Bob for the compliments. Lately I have been using a sony point and shoot, the nikon is too bulky when I am already all bundled up for the cold. I am selling my d70 in order to upgrade.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have to agree Hlywud..
Canon is my pick as I have an obession with photography.

Then the many Nikon users would say you are misguided. Seriously, it seems to be apples and apples, otherwise just personal preference. I'm sure which ever way I go I'll probably be happy. I was playing with a Sony Alpha A700 today and I was amazed, but too expensive.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
For all you Photo guys - which camera should I get? I can't make up my mind Canon or Nikon. I've decided to upgrade to the Digital SLR so Nikon D80 WITH 18-135 lens or Canon D30 or Rebel XTi? Anyone with positive or negative experiences with either. I will be taking plenty of indoor pictures.

I use the Canon Rebel XTi and like it. I am technology challenged, so have not really found out all that it can do, but it takes some great pictures in spite of me. Currently, I am using the original lens that came with it and have bought a 300 mm, but it is limited in usefulness IMO. A lens between the two I have is on my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.