Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jewish life in DR

Can anyone tell me anything about Jewish life in DR? I know there is a small Jewish community in Sosua, but from what I understand, many are actually Messianic Jews. Does anybody know if that is accurate or not? Are services held in (both in Sosua & in Sto Domingo) in Spanish or English, or primarily in Hebrew? What about the religious school (Sunday/Hebrew instruction, not day school)- Spanish or English or both?
    Thanks for any help.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alanamarie View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about Jewish life in DR? I know there is a small Jewish community in Sosua, but from what I understand, many are actually Messianic Jews. Does anybody know if that is accurate or not? Are services held in (both in Sosua & in Sto Domingo) in Spanish or English, or primarily in Hebrew? What about the religious school (Sunday/Hebrew instruction, not day school)- Spanish or English or both?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jewish life in the DR is not any different to the life of any Dominican...

You're right on the issue of messianic Jews, since 3rd to 4th generations that stood in the DR became too entangle with the popular beliefs.

I'm secular but as secular as you can get... LOL
    I don't know of any synagogues in Santiago because I never went to one, but traditions (if you want to call them that) are alive and well within the family circle. I heard that there's a synagogue in Santo Domingo around Sarasota, but I never went there so wouldn't know anything about it if in fact is there.

I know that they have a synagogue in kibbutz Sosua ever since the first Jew made it there. About services you have to contact them directly.
    They do have a Torah and Talmud lessons there as well. I don't know if they conduct the services in Hebrew or Spanish but my guess would be Hebrew...

As for the Jewish experience in DR I can't say I could comment on it since I pretty much lived like any Dominican does, Xmass tree and all!!! The only good thing is that when we had family come visit during Jewish holydays I got my presents too!!!!

BTW: My mother is Jew, my pops is not (he's very catholic) and I? Well, like I said: VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY Secular...
    Oh! Almost forgot: Messianic! LOL!!!!!!

Shalom!
    One Dominican at a time please!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even look it!! LOL!!!! 100% Pure Platano!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a small community in Sos˙a, that just lost one of their main supporters, a fine gentleman that decided that life in NYC was better, all around, for his family. I heard that that there was a recent passing of one of the oldest members of the synagogue. Meetings are usually held on Friday or Saturday, but you do need to call to find out. Every once in a while a rabbi comes up from Santo Domingo.

I will ask about services in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Services are held each Friday in Santo Domingo, apart from once a month when the rabbi from the capital goes to Sosua. Services are in Hebrew and Spanish. In the capital there is a good turnout, but in Sosua there are very very few people who attend regularly. The Santo Domingo synagogue is on Sarasota. There are no services in Santiago.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

You will see a new article on DR1 sometime this week about this very subject.
    I'll post in this thread when it's uploaded to the site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    My mother is Jew, my pops is not (he's very catholic) and I? Well, like I said: VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY Secular...
    Oh! Almost forgot: Messianic! LOL!!!!!!

Shalom!
    The community is not messianic, in the sense that I understand it. Maybe some individuals, though.

Pichardo - is your mother from the Sosua community or did her family arrive here via another route? Feel free to PM if you don't want to share here.

I was at the Santo Domingo synagogue's Hannukah party a few days ago and the impression was that most of the people there were expatriates from Israel, other Latin American countries, the US - as well as some Dominican converts or spouses.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that a project has been launched by the American Jewish Congress to preserve the Jewish history in Sosua. Here is information
    American Jewish Congress: AJCongress Announces Sosua Project to Preserve History

And then, there is an opportunity to host the travelling exhibition.
    Won't it be cool if it can be hosted in Sosua?
    Last edited by Chris; 12-12-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I once was told by a Santo Domingo cab driver who knew a lot of things (que sabe mucho, tu sabe), that there was/is a Jewish cementery [sp?] close to his house (I have never been there). And he added that "they" walk around like "padrecitos", which indicated to me that there may be an orthodox community in Santo Domingo (?).

... J-D.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    The community is not messianic, in the sense that I understand it. Maybe some individuals, though.

Pichardo - is your mother from the Sosua community or did her family arrive here via another route? Feel free to PM if you don't want to share here.

I was at the Santo Domingo synagogue's Hannukah party a few days ago and the impression was that most of the people there were expatriates from Israel, other Latin American countries, the US - as well as some Dominican converts or spouses.
    Will do!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast