?Major Santiago Problem?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just got a few calls that there is a major problem in Santiago. Word is that they openned up a dam and let the water out during the night. The main bridge from the city that you cross to get to the golf course (Las Aromas) and small bridge below has problems. Report also that Corrassan (Water) had a major control washed out by the flood water.

Going with my wife now to walk to the bridge, we were told not to go by car as it would be a problem to cross the bridge.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Electric has been off since last night also.

Leaving now to go check it out, it?s about a 2 kilometer walk.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Just got a few calls that there is a major problem in Santiago. Word is that they openned up a dam and let the water out during the night. The main bridge from the city that you cross to get to the golf course (Las Aromas) and small bridge below has problems. Report also that Corrassan (Water) had a major control washed out by the flood water.

Going with my wife now to walk to the bridge, we were told not to go by car as it would be a problem to cross the bridge.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Electric has been off since last night also.

Leaving now to go check it out, it?s about a 2 kilometer walk.

People are posting about it here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-b...on-tropical-depression-94-a-9.html#post588389

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Photo of flood from TS Olga - Santiago

Deleted pictures - See other thread under Weather .......

The river name is Rio Yaque Del Norte and the bridge name is Puente Hnos. Patino.

Reports of many children died in the flood during the night. Reports also that many prisoners died at the prison Rafey in Santiago from the flood waters.

See other thread under Weather .......

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiagoDR, feel free to post here on the specifics in Santiago. We will leave the other thread for reports from across the country.

716d1rs.jpg

8e6e22u.jpg

7w5a6qc.jpg

8bielxg.jpg

6yoh7gm.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
To me it was totally irresponsible to do such a thing of opening the dam gates during the night.
Those responsible should be put away.

Reports of deaths of children near the bridge and prisoners at Rafey.

6ll1ra0.jpg

818soqa.jpg

8ayf6es.jpg

6wvxuog.jpg

80uf75t.jpg

82mt75t.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am seeing drowned cars being towed by trucks, from new suvs to older cars. three blocks or more were flooded from circunvalacion av. People spent whole night cleaning and still cleaning as the water levels are going down. Total disaster for many.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Power was fine in my area till about 5 minutes ago. Hope it comes back soon. My night shift employees dont want to come to work because they are afraid they wont be able to make it home later, the streets are in such a mess.

Had to take up a collection today for one of my employees who's whole house washed away in the night.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Power was fine in my area till about 5 minutes ago. Hope it comes back soon. My night shift employees dont want to come to work because they are afraid they wont be able to make it home later, the streets are in such a mess.

Ours has been off since 10-11pm last night, as I reported on the weather thread about Santiago, it gives a whole new meaning to the 24/7 electric plan.

We ran about 14 hours on batteries and currently charging them with diesel generator for 4 hours, then they should be good for 15 hours more or less.

Friend near downtown area reports her?s is still out also.

SantiagoDR
6lj0xlu.jpg

Jan 5, 2006
To me it was totally irresponsible to do such a thing of opening the dam gates during the night.
Those responsible should be put away.[/IMG]

In a tv interview this morning, the chief of INDRHI, who is the government agency responsible for managing the dam stated that the dam was at a water level of 324.11 meters, that the limit for safe operation of the dam is 316 meters, and that the maximum capacity of the dam before it overflows is 326 meters. Considering the consequences of a breach or an overflow, how was it irresponsible to conduct a controlled release from the dam?

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
To open a dam's floodgates in the middle of the night, without warning and when people are sleeping is a criminal act. Even if the intention was to avoid the dam from bursting, the authorities should have sounded some type of alarm before doing what they did!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What I am hearing is that with the technology that is available today, the INDRHI people should have see it coming and taken action earlier.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
In a tv interview this morning, the chief of INDRHI, who is the government agency responsible for managing the dam stated that the dam was at a water level of 324.11 meters, that the limit for safe operation of the dam is 316 meters, and that the maximum capacity of the dam before it overflows is 326 meters. Considering the consequences of a breach or an overflow, how was it irresponsible to conduct a controlled release from the dam?

They should have known earlier like when it was 320 meters, some kind of alarm should warm them, something.......and of course they should have warned the people near the river, but of course, do they care, the authorities have their houses in the cerros, up high away from the river, it wouldn't touch them. arghghgh

Jan 5, 2006
Has anyone seen how fast the water level can rise at that dam or what happens when it overflows? Maybe you should see the destruction in that area from hurricane David in 1978 before you pass judgement on what was done yesterday. ;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Has anyone seen how fast the water level can rise at that dam or what happens when it overflows? Maybe you should see the destruction in that area from hurricane David in 1978 before you pass judgement on what was done yesterday. ;)

ok whatever, I don't live there, you are right, Ihave no idea what goes on down there anyway. Unfortunatly the poor people are the ones who suffer all these tragedies because they don't have choices. :ermm:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
To varying degrees, this happens pretty much every year. But people still live down there. Yeah its tragic but its not the first time. Or the second time. Or the third time.

It is certainly not the last time either.

Jan 5, 2006
M.A.R., I don't want to sound cold, but my family is originally from within a few kilometers from there, so I've seen and heard the stories throughout my entire life.

There are many people to blame for what happens in that area everytime that there's a major rainfall, but the people that manage the dam are certainly not at the top of the list.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What controlled release?????

Had the authorities been monitoring the situation they would have started to draw down the reservoir on Sunday given the amount of predicted rainfall. A slow release of water would not have caused flooding, would have allowed people time to evacuate with their belongings in the event that a larger release was necessary, and would have taken place during daylight hours instead of in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep!!

:eek:gre:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Do we know if any supplementary questions were asked & answered? For instance:
"IF the safe operating level of the Dam is 316 meters, how is it possible that you wait until the level reaches 324.11 meters before taking action? A rise of EIGHT meters above the SAFE operational level"????
"How fast WAS the level rising & from what level was it being monitored closely (like evey 10 minutes)"?
"If you know that the level was rising at 1 meter per hour, why was no action taken when the level reached 310 meters"?
"Who was on duty that afternoon & where are his reports/warnings to his superiors"?

Sorry Hipocrito Mejia - I accept that many 'Higher Ups' may have made the final decisions & that instructions may have come from them NOT to open the Dam earlier, but RESPONSIBILITY is responsibility & the dangers SHOULD have been made public earlier if there was a loss of life scenario about to be played out! ~ Grahame.

Last edited: