The Mystery 10% Tip

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Here's a subject I've debated with many people; both Dominicans and foreigners.

When receiving the check after eating at a Dominican restaurant, the establishment includes a 16% ITBIS Tax, plus a 10% tip. Many have told me that it is customary to leave an additional 10% because the waiter/waitress never sees the 10% included in the check.

When you ad this up you end up paying an additional 36% above the cost of the food! This is insane!

If it is true that restaurants don't give their employees the included tip then how can they get away with this practice?

I've gotten many different answers in regards to this subject and would like to hear some DR1 member thoughts.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

When receiving the check after eating at a Dominican restaurant, the establishment includes a 16% ITBIS Tax, plus a 10% tip. Many have told me that it is customary to leave an additional 10% because the waiter/waitress never sees the 10% included in the check.

If it is true that restaurants don't give their employees the included tip then how can they get away with this practice?

Wouldn't surprise me at all. People can see themselves forced to accept many things just to hold on to a lousy paid job... Just to give you an idea, in Spain some restaurant owners would body check their waiters before they'd leave to make sure they wouldn't walk out with ANY tips... and either keep it all or put it into a pot and at least take half... but then, in contrast to the US waiters in most counties are on a salary.

10% "de ley" (in some "facturas" it shows also as "impuesto") included or not, I usually leave a tip IF the service was good (which doesn't mean "proper" but in most cases it IS friendly and that's OK with me here). I don't calculate in percentages like it is customary in the States but try to keep it around 30Pesos and up (depending on many factors). I try consciously not to over-tip and look at locals around as to what they do. I think over tipping is automatically being as read touristy Gringo attitude and attracts no good things in the aftermath. People who throw around money are sadly not being categorized as generous or giving but as stupid and marked as a target for some follow up "deals".

I also once left a "negative" tip after one tiguere waiter tried to make me believe that "aqui" Arabic numbers add up differently as in the rest of the world using the ol' decimal system. After several attempts of trying to convince me of all sorts of mix up theories, I finally paid the base amount of the food and tax I calculated using the old proven system that 1+1=2 and so forth, but without "his" 10% and told him if he continued to "tratar de pasarse de tiguere con migo" he could as well pick up the whole tab for me. Once he realized I not only spoke Spanish but "his" version of it he accepted almost apologetic, but only almost.

... J-D.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The 10% is a service tax that is supposed to be split by all of the employees, so yes, I would leave the waitress/waiter a tip.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/59845-restaurants-price-resident.html

Restaurant owners who pocket this money should be boycotted along with those who pocket the actual tips too.

They should have just raised the targeted minimum wages and make restaurants show one price that is all inclusive, except for the tip.
This way the customer knows there are no additional charges and just has to consider the price and decide si o no regardless of how much is ITBIS, service tax, or who is getting what.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We to tip above the required 10% if the service is good. But we never see the waiter put the money in his/her pocket. They give all of it to the head person. So how do I know he/she actually gets the tip over the 10%?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We to tip above the required 10% if the service is good. But we never see the waiter put the money in his/her pocket. They give all of it to the head person. So how do I know he/she actually gets the tip over the 10%?

Eat in my restaurant and I GUARANTEE you'll see the waitress put it in her pocket. Same with the maids in our hotel. And as Peetie said in the previous post, this has been beat to death on the forum. I can only echo that if you are satisfied with the waitpersons service, even though the 10% has been added (BY LAW- as a way to GUARANTEE some sort of salary to the staff), please leave them something, even if only $20 pesos or so, a little over 50 cents US (how many waitresses in the US would put up with that?).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Andy - these questions are not directed at your restaurant in particular, but your opinion is valued.

Eat in my restaurant and I GUARANTEE you'll see the waitress put it in her pocket.
Even if I pay with a credit card?

I can only echo that if you are satisfied with the waitpersons service, even though the 10% has been added (BY LAW- as a way to GUARANTEE some sort of salary to the staff), please leave them something, even if only $20 pesos or so, a little over 50 cents US (how many waitresses in the US would put up with that?).
So the 10% isn't for the owner to pass on in tips but to cover their basic salaries?

I often pay by cc but almost always leave the tip in cash - I can't see most restaurateurs being that 'meticulous'.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006

i usually call them over to the side and hand them the tip out of site of the other patrons and the owner. some say this is wrong but this is what i do.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This thread is NOT about the tip amount, pulling them aside etc. It's about the 10% charged buy the business that should be paid to the employees.

Is this happening?
Should you make it clear to the wait staff that the 10% tip is already on the bill?
Do you boycott places that refuse to pay the 10% to their employees?

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
From what I understand, Dominicans never really tip, and sometimes when you, as the gringo tip in places such as here, Europe and SE Asia, the people just kinda laugh at you. I understand sometimes the waitstaff is on a commission of what you are ordering. What about in bars? I never see anyone tip in the bars, and almost feel like a fool when I leave 20/50 pesos as a tip.

I used to leave an additional 10%, but then realized only the tourists here were doing this, I stopped. Now, I leave about 50 pesos a head if it is at a nice restaurant.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How Can You Know If The Waiters Are Recieving The 10 %???

You KNOW that they will say "NO!" if you ask them,inorder to get your "Sympathy Tip"!
A man who was married to a Wealth Dominicana",once told me his "
METHOD"!
"In a restaurant where you have never been,and will never go again,leave no tip!
If it is a place you enjoy,know the waiters,and plan to return,or have been many times before,leave a "TIP",once-in-a-while!
What is the "Logic" in that?
If you ALWAYS give a tip,the waiters will take it for granted that they are going to get a tip,"No Matter What"! Soon the waiters will take YOU for granted! They think that you are stupid,and you will get lousy service in the future!
I TOO thought that this was a stupid idea! That was before I stayed at the Naco Hotel for over 6 months! That was during my "Be Nice To Dominicans,because they are really good people,and you should,"Help Them Out", PERIOD!
Anyway,it was TRUE! When I stopped tipping for every cup of coffee,glass of water,snack,room service,or dinner,I did get more "Attentive" service! I kept them "On Their Toes",so-to-speak!
So,"NO!,Don't tip!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yes!

Which brings me to my "MUST TELL" story about "Canadians",and "Tips"!

"What is the difference between a Canadian,and a canoe?
Sooner or later,a canoe tips!
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This thread is NOT about the tip amount, pulling them aside etc. It's about the 10% charged buy the business that should be paid to the employees.

Is this happening?
Should you make it clear to the wait staff that the 10% tip is already on the bill?
Do you boycott places that refuse to pay the 10% to their employees?

I don't know if this is in context but the 10% is divided among all the employees. From the dishwasher to the chef. So for example, if you were charged 10% of a 500 RD$ bill, 50 pesos is divided among all the staff. The waiter who served you might get 5 to 15 pesos out of that. I think, if you were satisfied with the service, a person should leave a little something extra for the waiter but that's optional.
As for boycotting, how would one find out if the 10% is in fact paid to the employees. I think the waiter knows that the 10% is for service but he also knows that he will only get +/- 3%. There are also restaurant owners that hold part of that 10% from the employees to make up for breakage, waste, shorts in inventory etc. Can you really blame them? Your call.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have no problem tipping the staff at a place I go on a regular basis. It's not about the tip, it's about what is happening to the 10%?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
"I don't know if this is in context but the 10% is divided among all the employees. From the dishwasher to the chef. So for example, if you were charged 10% of a 500 RD$ bill, 50 pesos is divided among all the staff. The waiter who served you might get 5 to 15 pesos out of that. I think, if you were satisfied with the service, a person should leave a little something extra for the waiter but that's optional.
As for boycotting, how would one find out if the 10% is in fact paid to the employees. I think the waiter knows that the 10% is for service but he also knows that he will only get +/- 3%. There are also restaurant owners that hold part of that 10% from the employees to make up for breakage, waste, shorts in inventory etc. Can you really blame them? Your call."

It pretty much works out to a little less than 10% of the waiter's total sales. While he is only making $5 pesos off of his $500 peso sale, he is also making $5 pesos off of every other $500 sale, even if he did not make it.

From what I've seen, at certain places waiters can make a lot, up to $30 000 in "porcentage" (their share of the 10% ley - which is also shared with kitchen, dishwasher and other help) per month. They will also receive a base salary, usually not that much, round $5000 - $8000. Plus they take home what ever cash tips they receive, and will get credit and debit added tips included in their pay. At least this is what goes on at reputable places, with good practices.

As for waiters not receiving any of the "ley", it's most probably a BS guilt trip, but I guess with the amount of control some places excercise, this could be true. There are so many places where just to get a drink the order/money has to go through 3 hands before you can get your drink. It's theft prevention, but is it ever innefficient.

And as for the comment on canadian tips, i take it you have never been to Canada, or worked in the service industry, because that statement couldn't be further from the truth. In Canada a bartender or waiter can practically tell the patron to #@#$ off, and they will still get a 15%-20% tip.

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
10%

I worked in one bar where the owner charged the 10% on the bill and he never gave it to the employees. I spoke to a lawyer friend on mine about it and he said that the owner could get into trouble for this because it is for the employees.
Another place I worked did divide the 10% among all the employees, including the management, and it was included in the pay checks. The daily tips were divided between all the employees at the end of the night as well.
By the way, in the second restaurant they paid the bartenders and wait staff $3,300 pesos a month. I don't know what the other employees got. The average paycheck for the wait staff was about $10,000 a month, with the 10% included.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is it fair to divide the mystery 10% tip between all employees ? is this law or common practice ? i see that quite often. what about the bad employees, do they deserve part of the kitty ?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Management deserves a cut of the 10%, after all sales are a good indicator of succesful management. In my GFs case, who manages a very very busy bar, she has incentives for reaching or exceeding certain sales goals. i.e. if the bar makes 4mil a month she'll get 20 000 extra, 4.5M 40 000, 5M she'll get 60 000. And as for the bad apples gettin a cut, well if the establishment has good management the bad apples get culled pretty quickly, and probably won't get much. The main problem with wait staff in the DR is theft.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
I agree that the split of the 10% tip is important, but the DR is a poor country, sooooo spur the economy, tip generously regardless, spread the wealth. Heck, if we spread the wealth maybe there would be less crime...just me thinking again...:)