SUV Rental

SeanQ

Dec 14, 2007
Hello all

Could anyone provide me with an approximate cost for rental of a mid size SUV (Larger than Honda and RAV 4 but not a Suburban etc) for 7 days

This would be in the Santo Domingo area, would want all insurances

If you have name of rental company you are familiar with and price that would be really great

Thanks

whizzymaz

Jan 14, 2007
Hello all

Could anyone provide me with an approximate cost for rental of a mid size SUV (Larger than Honda and RAV 4 but not a Suburban etc) for 7 days

If you have name of rental company you are familiar with and price that would be really great

Thanks[/QUOTE

Hi

We have usually found it cheaper to book online usually with the international groups. We were once booking with National and they gave us a more expensive quote in the office than on line and told us to go book it online then come back and pick up the vehicle. In August we got a reasonably good deal with Hertz (for the Dominican Republic) sorry cannot remember how much exactly but think around the $80 mark per day. If you hire for longer periods the daily rate is reduced. Also it can depend upon season and special offers so shop around. We were initially amazed how much more expensive car hire is in the DR as compared with Europe.

Some other more experienced posters may be able to supply you with more precise info but this has been our experience so far.

Whizzymaz

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello all

Thanks

Depends all in availability and term of rental, be prepared to shell from US$140.00 to as much as US$220.00 per day depending on type of SUV, as they have plain jane all the way up to luxury SUV...

The rates also are affected by the seasonal ups and down of rentals.
You're best served by going on line and making the reservations way ahead of the rental date so you can get the best rates.

Some local rental biz on occasions do offer better deals but like the saying goes: Some times cheap is not better! You could end up with a lemon and more times on the side of the road than on it...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
I regularly rent 3-4 year old SUVs( last one was a NICE Highlander for $50-$70 per day. The Mitsubishi Limiteds gor for about $85 per day all are with out insurance( which I cant even get from my company, as they say use the credit cards insurance). the newer Mitsubishis go for up to and over $100 per day. I rented a grand vitari a lot $50 per day...

the bigger companies usually have newer vehicles and as such will be higher priced. Plus they may offer insurance.. If you book online you can buy insurance right online as well..It acually was a seperate company in the case of AVIS...which i had originally booked on my first trip rental a vehicle.

also remember if you rent right at the airport... they have an AIRPORT tax you will have to pay..IF YOU PAY VIA CREDIT CARD...if you pay cash.. they let you out of it...wonder why?? ha ha ha

bob

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
We made an online reservation with Avis for aiport pickup-Subaru Forester. A little over $500.00 for the week (including optional insurance). When we arrived-Thursday- they didn't have the Subaru so they upgraded the car to a Ford Explorer; no additional charge.

A couple of things:

Check with your Insurance Co and your CC Co regarding coverage. Amex (Plat) only covers x amount of liability, no personal damage, and will not cover large SUVs at all in DR.

Make sure you go over the car with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you drive off the lot and every ding, dent and scratch is noted. The car we received looked as though it received several shot gun blasts to the doors after it rolled over a couple of times.

CJ

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Auto Rental Insurance

When I checked with my US insurance company, my ($1,000,000 US) liability umbrella applies after I take the maximum liability with the DR auto rental company. The DR rental company offers $33,000 US as their maximum liability coverage.
The damage coverage is waived, it is protected by my credit card used to rent the car.

SeanQ

Dec 14, 2007
Thanks

We made an online reservation with Avis for aiport pickup-Subaru Forester. A little over $500.00 for the week (including optional insurance). When we arrived-Thursday- they didn't have the Subaru so they upgraded the car to a Ford Explorer; no additional charge.

A couple of things:

Check with your Insurance Co and your CC Co regarding coverage. Amex (Plat) only covers x amount of liability, no personal damage, and will not cover large SUVs at all in DR.

Make sure you go over the car with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you drive off the lot and every ding, dent and scratch is noted. The car we received looked as though it received several shot gun blasts to the doors after it rolled over a couple of times.

CJ

The "Exploder" is the size I wanted, mid sized SUV's aren't readily available in RD is seems

Avis quoted $512.00 for seven days, after adding taxes, insurance for everything from running into errant water Buffalo to falling Space Stations, the price somehow escalated to over $1,000.00 but I am well covered

Thanks for your help in finding a SUV

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
The "Exploder" is the size I wanted, mid sized SUV's aren't readily available in RD is seems

Avis quoted $512.00 for seven days, after adding taxes, insurance for everything from running into errant water Buffalo to falling Space Stations, the price somehow escalated to over $1,000.00 but I am well covered

Thanks for your help in finding a SUV

Glad to be of help! We're dropping off on Tuesday. Me thinks if you're picking up after then, this baby's got your name on it. (look for the pellet marks on the doors). I don't think they have a large inventory of SUVs available at all.

The truck handles ok (we took it up to Bonao earlier today, Guayacanes yesterday, and running around the rest of the time).

Also, if you haven't rented in DR before, keep in mind the quality of vehicles is not what you'd expect to get in North America or Europe.

Have a great trip and I'm interested to hear your take on the rental when all is said and done.

CJ