Cooking Rice

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
When I cook rice at home, here in Canada, it is so easy.
20 minutes in a pot covered on the stove or even in the microwave and it's always perfect.

Forgive my ignorance but in the RD seems to take and hour and I do like con con but why is cooking rice there different?
Of course I don't cook five cups or rice at once just one or two.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
One cup of rice to one and a half of water. Put rice in cold water with salt and a little oil or butter. Put lid on. turn on gas. let rice boil for 2 mins. Do not lift off lid. Then turn of gas and let stand for around 20 mins or more. When you can lift lid off easily then rice is ready. Perfect every time. Took me two years of cooking rice every day to work this out!!! If it is good quality rice like La Garza you may need to use a little more water like 1 3/4 cups per cup of rice. Good luck!!

matilda

cuas

May 29, 2006
Best for export or maybe different kind of rice?
The first time I cooked rice in NY I covered the rice with a lot of water, Dominican style. I made a rice soup. Had to learn new measurement.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans Consider "Con Con" The BEST Part Of Cooking Rice!

How many of you people out there have ,LIKE ME< thought that a "Rice Cooker" would be a nice present for a Dominican Kitchen???
The "Cookers" just sit on the shelf! No "Con Con" with the "cooker"!
I like rice "Dominican Style",It is a little "drier",and very seperate grains!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I love "Con Con",but I stopped eating it. It has a lot of the oil used to "start" the rice,and a LOT of "sodium" too!

A

apostropheman

thank you!
this was what i wanted to post, but...i was waiting for my coffee (i'm brain dead in the morning without caffeine :cheeky:) and couldn't find the link :bunny::bunny:

anyone want to volunteer to reorganize my bookmarks? ;) i must have about 672,578 of them :eek: and they get a bit cumbersome without their quarterly cleanup...that i have not done for a loooong time :eek:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just wondering how come they (Dominicanos) end up with the crusty stuff (con con) and I don't.
They use oil or what?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's the oil - read the "secrets of the perfect conc?n" link that I posted earlier.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am tired of concon. I am bringing a rice cooker with me when I am traveling to Cabarete on Tuesday!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
When I cook rice at home, here in Canada, it is so easy.
20 minutes in a pot covered on the stove or even in the microwave and it's always perfect.

Forgive my ignorance but in the RD seems to take and hour and I do like con con but why is cooking rice there different?
Of course I don't cook five cups or rice at once just one or two.

I am no chemist but I think the situation here has to do with temperature. The propane gas used in the Dominican Republic is mixed with butane. The propane/butane mixture is greater in butane. It happens to be that butane burns cooler. Thus because of a higher butane mixture cooking time will take longer.

my bolding