Flying into Punta Cana and need to get to Cabarete

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
I am thinking of taking an unbelievably low fare to PC for 97 dollars but need to get to Cabarete for New Years. I have been to Cabarete/Sosua many times but never been to the south coast. I wouldnt mind spendng a night in Santo Domingo either. So I would arrive at 3pm on the 27th into PC. Can I get to Santo Domingo at a reasonable time and what would the cheapest and/or the best way there. I would also like recommendations for an inexpensive hotel near the Caribe bus station. I am staying two weeks in total so spending a day or two traveling doesnt bother me. Does the bus go through Santiago also? wouldnt mind spending a night there if it does. If someone could give me an idea of the time frames and prices that would be great. what about a taxi all the way from PC airport to Cabarete. Or is that going to cost me more than my airfare? lol

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right WUD, because a Taxi at the PUJ airport only to the bit more far hotels in Punta Cana would 2way cost more than your airfare.
from the airport i don't think he could get the Express bus, would be new to me.
so leave the airport and right at the street(there's only one, so no confusion) on the same side the airport is located(don't cross the street for the other direction) you stop the public bus (Sitrabapu) who will bring you to Higuey. there you let them drop you of at the bus terminal for Santo Domingo, the Express bus is leaving from there every full hour, will take you around 2 1/2 hrs from higuey to reach central Santo Domingo. i can not recommend on hotel's near the bus station for the express bus the next day, take a cabbie and let him bring you to a motel near the Caribe Tours station. that Caribe tours bus does a stop in Santiago, yes, so no prob if you want to spend a night there on the way northwards.
have a great time
Mike

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
Thanks. I am just a bit confused about getting to Higuey. You are saying I can walk out of the PC airport to the street and hop a bus to Higuey? So if I get out of the airport by 4 would I be able to have time to take this bus to Higuey and then on to SD the same day? Or would I need to overnight in Higuey?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no problem, the last bus from Higuey to santo domingo leaves 8PM, you need around 45 minutes from the airport to higuey, so that would leave you enough space to be on time. the last one passing by the street in front of the airport should be around 5:30PM.
Mike

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
awesome. So the bus I am looking for outside the PC airport will say Higuey on it? Is it an actual bus or a minivan gua gua thing?

A

apostropheman

unfortunately i can't answer your question but...
awesome. So the bus I am looking for outside the PC airport will say Higuey on it? Is it an actual bus or a minivan gua gua thing?
perhaps you could take a picture of the bus(es) you end up taking and post them here, so in future others will have a clearer idea of what they are looking for.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha , you would need to take too many pictures of them.
the bus is mostly a 22 seater, there are different colors, they have letters on "Sitrabapu". if you stand aside the street that bus will slow down when coming closer to check if you're customer, mostly the assistant of the driver is hanging out of the open door looking for a sign of you, just wave with your hand.
if you are unsure to stop a bust that way take at the airport a taxi, the drivers are located at the exit of the luggage claim and tell him you want to go to the bust station "Parada Sitrabapu in Punta Cana/ para Higuey", should cost a $15.-, so there you can't go wrong on the bus.
Mike