Driving the Duarte HwY (Rt #1) both ways.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good friends:

Please be aware that there are now five important choke points along the highway.
Going South there are four and going North there are five as of this afternoon.

Going South:

The first is on the stretch that leads to Bonao> The traffic is moved to the left, and it sort of surprises most drivers. (Scared the crappo outta me this early AM...) The next one is just past Jacaranda, and again the traffic goes to the left. The third one is a little further on, near the Adventist School, and the fourth one is just past Piedra Blanca going to La Cumbre.

Going North, you have a large (some would say humongeous!) landslide after you leave the La Vega/Jarabacoa crossroads-about two kilometers- just as you crest after passing all those roadside fruit stands. This is just befor going down hill to Burende.

Take care. At night this could get really hairy..

HB

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Good friends:

Please be aware that there are now five important choke points along the highway.
Going South there are four and going North there are five as of this afternoon.

Going South:

The first is on the stretch that leads to Bonao> The traffic is moved to the left, and it sort of surprises most drivers. (Scared the crappo outta me this early AM...) The next one is just past Jacaranda, and again the traffic goes to the left. The third one is a little further on, near the Adventist School, and the fourth one is just past Piedra Blanca going to La Cumbre.

Going North, you have a large (some would say humongeous!) landslide after you leave the La Vega/Jarabacoa crossroads-about two kilometers- just as you crest after passing all those roadside fruit stands. This is just befor going down hill to Burende.

Take care. At night this could get really hairy..

HB

The lane shifts on the way to Bonao do just kinda pop up on you. There's one stretch where at least they have oil cans to divide the oncoming traffic. There's another stretch where outside of the initial lane change,there's no indication that those striped lanes are not "safe to pass" indicators.

Heading back to SD there was a bottleneck right outside Bonao. Otherwise, traffic was pretty smooth.

CJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Once again, yesterday, Sunday, we drove both ways. the detours are still there, but in the early morning there were fires on tip of the first tanks marking the lane shifts. Much better than Saturday.

Going North, the traffic was very light, so there was little delay at any of the detours.

I slept after Bonao so I don't know if the landslide is still there!! (Hey, I was in a bus yesterday, not driving!!)

HB