living & working at Cap Cana?

dgat

Dec 16, 2007
I've been offered a job at the Heritage School at Cap Cana. It looks like a fantastic place but I have a few hesitations about it and I was hoping that someone could give me a little more information before I take the job. One of my main concerns is being isolated. It seems like Cap Cana is pretty far away from everything - without my own car would I be able to leave the property ever or would I be "trapped" there? Would I ever get a chance to see the real DR? And what sort of things are there to do around there? The beach is fantastic, but after a while it could get old. Basically any information that you could give me about living and working at Cap Cana would be greatly appreciated!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
If you want to live and work anywhere in the Punta Cana Bavaro Area, where Cap Cana is located, I would strongly recommend to have your own transportation available. Everything is for away from everything else in the area.

dgat

Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for your response. I would only be there for 6 months - it is possible to buy a cheap reliable used car and then resell it? How cheap would a cheap car be?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
What school and grade have you been offered employment for?

Once again, as a common issue on this forum, it's important to verify many things.

There are many ppl "offered" employment in the DR...and find out once they get there it was an offer and not much more.

I have also been offered a job at a PC area school, but I am holding out for further offers at an SD area school.

I have lived and worked (as a teacher) in the DR before, and I would not want to live in a tourist area again.

Partly for personal preferences....but it depends what you are looking for, and want out of your Dominican experience...

But you say you would only be there for 6 months...a school year should be at least from September - June...

What are your current qualifications?

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I have just invested in a Property in Cap Cana, well is only like 5-10 minutes from Airport and from Punta cana village plaza or Plaza Bolera like they call it!!!! You have this shopping center as well as a good gas station as well as other specialty shops and restaurants. Now Bavaro is about 25 minutes away from Cap Cana there is much more action there so 90% of all hotels are there you have supermarket in Pueblo bavaro as well various shops like Plaza Palma real with Hard Rock cafe and Tony Romas restaurant. In like a year or 2 Cap cana will have everything you need including supermarkets, Pharmacies, shops and more already in the marina you have a couple of restaurants and shops already open as well as a full Mini Market and deli slated to open in the next month. In Plaza Bolera you have a good pharmacy, Bakery, Movie Rental,restaurants and Shops, Bowling center and that is only 5 minutes away fromm cap cana. Also be reminded that across the street from cap Cana entrance they are already removing ground they are plaining a Big American Style Supermarket Pricesmart and i know between bavaro and the airport they are planing to open Supermercado Nacional as well as a Cuesta Home center and Jumbo this are very similar to a Publix, JUMBO is like a walmart and Cuesta home is everything you need for your home but no hardware!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have a car public transportation in the D.R is a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
... Supermercado Nacional as well as a Cuesta Home center and Jumbo this are very similar to a Publix, JUMBO is like a walmart and Cuesta home is everything you need for your home but no hardware!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have a car public transportation in the D.R is a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you mention Publix super markets as a comparative to Nacional and such, may I assume you are from or have lived in Florida?
If public transportation in the DR is a disaster, as you put it, what would you then call it like in Florida (which doesn't even yet have motoconchos :))?

But yes... I agree, on the Easter tip one would be very sad off without it's own mean of transportation (like in most cities in Florida too ;)).

... J-D.

dgat

Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for the information - What do you know about renting cars in that area, say for the weekend?