Quick Weekend Getaway to Santiago

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
This coming weekend 12/22-24 I will be visiting Santiago for the specific purpose of the Aguilas game on Saturday night, followed by Frank Reyes at Tipico Monte Bar the same night, and Zacarias Ferreira at Monte Bar on Sunday night.

With this in mind, would Aloha Sol or Platino be the better hotel option location wise? I cannot find any maps of Santiago to try and plot it out better.

To get tickets to the Aguilas game, will any be available at the box office, or do I need to try and scalp tix most likely?

Also, does anyone know if you need to purchase tickets in advance to the shows at Monte Bar? I've seen both of those artists here in NYC and tix sell out well in advance.

My final question, is how easy is catching a cab. For example, let's say I get out of Monte Bar at 3 AM, how will I be able to get back to my hotel?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its all easy, you will get tickets at the door for concerts and game. The cabs work 24/7. Both hotels are good.
You will have no problems at all. Welcome to santiago.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is Trick. if there are 2 of you then make a deal with the doorman (montebar) to pay for one and get the other person free inside. Tell him you recommend many people to this bar and tell him you have send about 15 people inside from your work alone for tonight's gig. So they better take care of you. It will work.
AZB

drny

Jun 12, 2007
As far as buying tickets to the game, I like to pass by earlier in the day if possible and buy my tickets then so as not to have to wait and be able to just walk in with tickets in hand at game time. Pay no mind to the scalpers and just walk up to the ticket office. There are always available seats for regular games.

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Here is Trick. if there are 2 of you then make a deal with the doorman (montebar) to pay for one and get the other person free inside. Tell him you recommend many people to this bar and tell him you have send about 15 people inside from your work alone for tonight's gig. So they better take care of you. It will work.
AZB

Sounds good, but there's just one of me. Thanks, though! Any other tips?

As far as buying tickets to the game, I like to pass by earlier in the day if possible and buy my tickets then so as not to have to wait and be able to just walk in with tickets in hand at game time. Pay no mind to the scalpers and just walk up to the ticket office. There are always available seats for regular games.

I figured I'd give that a shot. Plus I see from the website they opened up a new Aguilas store at the stadium. Even in Washington Heights here in NYC it's hard to find any team merchandise, so I'll be doing a bit of shopping.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I hope the aguilas players are up to their 100%, especially after the party they had with 2 very attractive hookers last night. I saw 2 hookers come out of a taxi and walk into aguila team player's apartment. then more SUV's came and more girls. I bet they had a very exciting night.
Then as I am going futher down 27 de febrero, I see Tulili talking to a Ruta A conchista and then he picked up 2 of his friends who were waiting for him in that concho. He was dressed to kill, so I guess he was going to have a concert somewhere in santiago.
My friend, if I were in santiago this weekend, it would have been my pleasure to take you to all the places without getting lost. Too bad I will be in santo domingo attending a christmas party in Mi taverna bar with some Dr1ers and other special friends. I will stay there for the weekend.
If you live in santiago, you get to meet luis polonia, jose lima and other team players everywhere. They are all cool guys. You never know who will cross your path in santiago, Its such a small city that you are bound to cross their path sooner or later. I was once talking to a guy in gym and then all of the sudden it occured to me, he was Manny ramirez from Red socks. Then another night I was invited to have dinner in Gran almirante hotel and then my friend took me to a table to introduce me to his other friends. After talking for a while , all of the sudden it occured to me the guy in the poster on the wall was sitting with us on the table. He was Rubby perez.
So my friend, santiago is full of wonders. i am sure you will have a great time here.
AZB

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Haha thanks AZB. I thought it was cool when I bumped into Jose Reyes at a Hector Acosta concert here in NYC. I'll be back in feb for the Serie del Caribe, perhaps we'll catch up then.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I feel quite outta my league asking a question like this here..but I figure one of you will know...
How much do tickets cost for aguilas games and how hard are they to get??

p.s. blanquito...AZB has some of the best advice here on DR1...despite the fact that some ppl get mad 'bout what he says...if u really need some good info...he's got it! ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If its' a hot game you're going to you need to ask when the ticket office opens and get there early unless you want to risk having to sit in the bleachers where many tigres gather.

The good seats are always taken by the scalpers for really good games by the time the afternoon rolls around.

It seemed fun to me when I went to a game but my dominican friends warned me of fights and other rude behavior in the bleacher section so you may want to consider that.

I can't imagine it being worse than the bleacher section at Yankee Stadium when they play the Red Sox but you never know.

Sep 19, 2005
if they are playing Licey...the tickets may all be gone for the front sections.....

but I guess it doesnt hurt to try and go in and buy seats first and if they dont have the quality you want , go back out and buy from the scalpers.

the trick as a newbie..is to find out what are god seats and what are not.

if you have never been and the ticket says section 1aa seat 22...what does that mean???

I bought from a scalper and had him walk me in before I bought and I read the seats number painted on the sections to verify.

once you buy your ticket from a scalper and go inside...there is no refund!

the less stressfull approach would be to go in the day and try and purchase your ticket from the box office.... they wont steer you wrong with seating locations.

the scalpers are aggressive and there are MANY for the good games.

one seat should be easy though.

at most games there are lots of police and military in the stands and walkways( at least the games I went to there were.

enjoy

bob

Sep 19, 2005
also at Monte Bar they offer reserved seating...especially for those acts. so if you go early to buy tickets to the game maybe you can run right down the road and reserve a seat for Reyes...but i am wondering if they will let you reserve a single seat!

they have small tables and would want to fill that area...good luck any way.

you will probably see Jose Lima in that reserved section right in the middle up front. and you might also see Luis Polonia. He has been at the bar every time I have seen him there , which is at least half dozen times.

bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The closest seats to the field are called PALCOS. A is best, than AA, and AAA.

So if you get Palcos A you are almost in the game yourself. All of the Palcos are good.

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Does anyone have a decent map of Santiago, just so I can get a better idea of locations and distances?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have a VERY detailed pdf map of Santiago, PM me your e mail address.

tambo'

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
While everyone is being so helpful, I may as well ask another question. I don't want to leave El Cibao without some cigars, so where is a good place in Santiago to get some good Dominican cigars (hopefully at friendly prices) to bring home to the states?

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
also at Monte Bar they offer reserved seating...especially for those acts. so if you go early to buy tickets to the game maybe you can run right down the road and reserve a seat for Reyes...but i am wondering if they will let you reserve a single seat!

bob

hey Bob,
have you reserved seats in the past at Montebar?
how much r those bottles so that u can get a table upfront?
JW, Henessy, etc.

Erick

Sep 19, 2005
hey Bob,
have you reserved seats in the past at Montebar?
how much r those bottles so that u can get a table upfront?
JW, Henessy, etc.

Erick

dont know.....My gf drinks fruit punch or pina coladas, and i drink rum and cokes.... and wehave never reserved

seldom have we known ahead of time who is playing......

when AZB me Tavina and Darlene and her friend all went to see Tono Rosario....we had to sit all the way in the back to get seats!!!!!

if the seating would have been angled up like a stadium...we would have been in the nose bleed seats!!

But for El Jeffrey we tipped the waiter and he squeezed in with in 10 feet of the stage once....since there were only two of us!!

BUT the catch was I had to buy a WHOLE bottle of brugal!!

ha ha ha ha.....

that might have been a 600 peso bottle!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha....

ice and cokes are free though!!:glasses::glasses:

bad bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I recall paying 1700 pesos for a large bottle of JW (Black) 750ml at BiU Pub. It should be close to that, also, most clubs/bars sell mini bottles of JW, Absolute, etc..