Best Books about the DR

fishking

Nov 27, 2007
I read the Feast of the Goat a few years ago and loved it are there any other suggestions for good books about the DR particularly by Dominicans. My own tastes tends to fiction but I also like entertaining nonfiction.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Alan Cambeira's, "Azucar", trilogy is excellent fiction.
Ginnie Bedggood's, "Quisqueya", is excellent non-fiction.
Peter Lane's, "Dominican Days", is good non-fiction.
Frank Moya Pons', "The Dominican Republic", is an outstanding history.
J B Mackinnon's, "Dead Man In Paradise", is good non-fiction.
Randall H Miller's, "The Xpatriot", is ok fiction.
These are all in English.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most of Julia Alvarez novels are about the DR - worth mentioning especially In the Time of the Butterflies and In the Name of Salome.
Nelly Santos - Song of the Water Saints is a historical novel about a Dominican family n the 20th century.

Michele Wucker's Why the Cocks Fight is a good historical account.
Drown and Oscar Wao by Junot D?az, of course.

Mentioned above, Dead Man in Paradise is an outstanding book about the DR.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Read "El Oro y la Paz" by Juan Bosh, a novel.
You can also try "Clases Sociales de la Republica Dominicana" by Bosh too.

I love his Cuentos a great deal...

Also "La Isla al Reves" by Joaquin Balaguer will fascinate you!

You can find "Cuando amaban las tierras comuneras" by Pedro Mir.

My #1 to read would be " ***************" AHHHHHHHHH!!!! Mine! All Mine!!!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
"Tales of a Caribbean Isle" by Heinz Meder
"A Dominican Chronicle" by Carlton Alexander Rood

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I particularly enjoyed Oscar Wao by Junot D?az. It was bittersweet enjoyment as I wanted to pass it to all my friends, but realized that you have to know the DR to laugh and cry as much as I did while reading it. I am curious as to how it spoke to folks who have not yet visited the DR? Is this question in line with this thread? If not, sorry. Thank you.

-- Sam

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
where to buy

I just did a further search for good reads, and came up with this...
TALES OF A CARIBBEAN ISLE" by: Heinz Meder..... an excellent read. As the book says..... Tales is a compilation of insider's insight that is sometimes critical, other times humurous, always fun to read. Illustrated with 120 refreshing sketches, it's pure Caribbean....the ideal chaise-lounge reader, reference guide and keepsake for anyone who has an experience with the Island of Hispaniola
This book is mentioned above and I'd love to read it.
I have 3 of the largest bookstores here where I live in canada and nada.
Anyone know where I might find this online to purchase?
I'm currently stockpiling some books for our next trip to the DR in a few weeks;)

Last edited:

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I just did a further search for good reads, and came up with this...
TALES OF A CARIBBEAN ISLE" by: Heinz Meder..... an excellent read. As the book says..... Tales is a compilation of insider's insight that is sometimes critical, other times humurous, always fun to read. Illustrated with 120 refreshing sketches, it's pure Caribbean....the ideal chaise-lounge reader, reference guide and keepsake for anyone who has an experience with the Island of Hispaniola
This book is mentioned above and I'd love to read it.
I have 3 of the largest bookstores here where I live in canada and nada.
Anyone know where I might find this online to purchase?
I'm currently stockpiling some books for our next trip to the DR in a few weeks;)

This is a great book and as per Post # 5, I have a copy. I am a Canadian living in Texas and do go back to Canada from time to time so I could bring it with me next time I visit. PM me and let me now where you are located and the next time I visit I could bring it with me if you are close.

It is an easy read with basically 3 sections to it - 1. Hispaniola's Past, 2. Stories from Today (copyright 1994) and 3. an Appendix with all sorts of info on - The Interesting and Little Known, Treasures of Today, Tropical Fruits and Plants, Animals, Recipies and even remedies for Fish Poisoning (sorry DrChrisHE, nothing about spider bites).

Go to the Amazon link below and it looks as though there are 2 copies available - so hurry.

Amazon.com: Heinz Meder: Books

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I'll order

No problem, I see it on amazon, I did not see them yesterday and i did a search too. I'll buy one, thanks!
I live in vancouver and am going to punta cana in March so I'm starting my collection.I appreciate your offer.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Won't ship to canada

grrr, whats the big deal about shipping to canada:pirate:
Anyone else seen this book for sale thats canadian shipping friendly:cool:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Read "El Oro y la Paz" by Juan Bosh, a novel.

Sorry Pichardo, but maybe you where thinking of Juan Bosch's other novel, titled La Ma?osa, which is set in the times of the rural guerrillas of the early 20th Century in the DR. "El Oro y La Paz" is actually set in the South American jungle, mostly Bolivia, and has no Dominican characters or themes.:ermm:
best,
-Tordok

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Sorry Pichardo, but maybe you where thinking of Juan Bosch's other novel, titled La Ma?osa, which is set in the times of the rural guerrillas of the early 20th Century in the DR. "El Oro y La Paz" is actually set in the South American jungle, mostly Bolivia, and has no Dominican characters or themes.:ermm:
best,
-Tordok

Ops.....this guy gave me the impression he knew it all.:speechles

Last edited: