Seeking recommended mechanics in Santiago

knotworx

Dec 10, 2006
Hello all,

I have almost 4 months here and getting along okay but there are a few things that I'm not confident with dealing with in the blind. In this case my poor '98 Montero Sport has gone through far more trips to campos and mountains than I think it has seen in it's previous 10 years of life ;-) That said, I'd like to bring it into a shop for the basics (oil change, tune up, etc) and to check into some other performance items I've identified.

Finding a mechanic is the easy part. Finding a trustworthy mechanic is hard all over the world. The last niggle, I would prefer to express my mechanical concerns in english as my car related vocabulary is still too limited to be as specific as I want to be.

In summary, please recommend any good mechanics you may know in Santiago and if they speak english that is a plus. Oh and I'm less concerned about cost (though cheap is always good) than I am about quality of work.

Thanks in advance!

KW

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
I use a company called NEVESA . Its on the Autopista if you head out from the Monument towards the Airport. Its on your right , across from the Domin mall . I think side street is El Em bruho . Head mechanics name is Miguel Wagner . He speaks english and is not looking to rip you off . Rates are OK , you can get an estimate 1st if you want .

If you want an intro , OM me .

Jafo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Usually dealers are expensive as compared to a regular mechanic.
Go the buena vista, taller de carlo. he is the best in santiago and very reasonable.
Directions: coming from supermercado nacional towards hache building on estrella sadhala, you make the 3nd right after hache building. You should see a local car dealer on the same side. Its a huge intersection with road intersection diagnally ect. This is the buena vista entrance. the workshop is on the left and it says something like taller de carlo. This mechanic really knows his work. He is a genious.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'd say go with either of these two. Jafo knows cars,and I know Nevesa is top of the line.

Taller Carlo is, I think, on Padre Las Casas Street.

HB

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
I'd say go with either of these two. Jafo knows cars,and I know Nevesa is top of the line.

Taller Carlo is, I think, on Padre Las Casas Street.

HB

i've been to Taller Carlo and he's good and reasonable.
I went after AZB recommending him in one of his posts about mechanics.

knotworx

Dec 10, 2006
I just noticed I never thanked you guys for responding to this post so long ago. I just came back to look for it as I have purchased a "new to me" montero sport 2002 and it needs a little work and where I did end up last time (not one of the suggestions here) really didn't do the job I had hoped for on the last montero sport. So here we go finally following the advise of the wise. Thanks again!

KW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, what type of work do you need on your car? where did you go last time? Its all easy and simple once you know what you need to have done in your car. I can recommend places if I have more info. Its really not that hard to get good work done here. if you are having problems for something as simple as this, I would hate to see how you would deal with the electric company if you get some billing problems.
AZB

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I have a Cherokee and use it for 4x4 trips every weekend. my mechanic that does my maintace is
Chepe Repacariones
if you know spanish give him a call
809-575-0229 he has a large cleint base so if you need refernce with 4x4 vehicles he services ask him for...
He works one car at a time so call him an make an appoiment...
tell him Albin send you...