Best Cakeshop in Mirador Sur/Bella Vista area (Santo Domingo)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bella Vista/Mirador Sur finally has a cakeshop to rival La Cuchara de Madera and others in the Naco/Piantini area.

Called simply La Patisserie, it is located on Calle Doctor Defillo, between Betancourt and Sarasota Avenues. It's beautifully designed and the selection of savoury and sweets looks promising. I've tasted a couple of the savouries and will try the sweets later on. I bought a passionfruit cheesecake (they also had amaretto cheescake), an apple strudel and a "blondie" - white chocolate brownie. There was a lot more on offer... check it out!

They also do pack lunches - sandwiches, wraps, Vietnamese Rolls, etc, and a huge selection of teas, coffee and soft drinks.

I think they said they have free WiFi.

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
My mouth is watering already

Excellent! I look forward to checking it out. Amaretto cheesecake sounds divine.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
chinola cheesecake sounds delicious!!! My husband's family use to own a reposteria en Piantini called De Leny Original .. it started many years ago in Santiago. Excellent bizcocho & suspiro recipe

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They are good. They also have good donuts, if I remember correctly.
They opened yesterday, so what does that say about your memory? :cheeky:

Update: the savouries I tasted this morning were spanakofeta (sp?) which were not at all greasy and tapenade rolls. They also had mini quiche, mini-pizza, focaccia and other savoury options.

I sampled the 'blondie' and chinola cheesecake after lunch. The blondie was subtle compared to the Cuchara de Madera brownie variations, but fresh and light. The cheesecake was to die for. The tangy passionfruit contrasting with the creamy cheese, and not oversweetened or stale which is so often the case with cheesecake. I can only salivate at the thought of the amaretto version.

Prices - middle/high range -
Apple strudel - RD$60
Blondie - RD$75
Mini cheesecake - serves 2 - RD$200
Tapenade roll - RD$50
Spanakofeta - RD$80

They will also do catering...

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I've been to a bakery with a French sounding name right around there.. thought it was the same place?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Update: the savouries I tasted this morning were spanakofeta (sp?) which were not at all greasy and tapenade rolls. They also had mini quiche, mini-pizza, focaccia and other savoury options.

Spanakopita maybe? With cheese and spinach?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been to a bakery with a French sounding name right around there.. thought it was the same place?
Yes - the one on the corner of Defillo and Sarasota has a French name. They do good bread and croissants but their cakes are much more traditional than La Patisserie's and not that imaginative. Their location is good but the premises look as if they haven't had a facelift since the 1980s.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
This is very dangerous.

If I were to dive in I would very soon resemble Mike Myers' character, you know, the rubenesque illegitimate one.

Can I say "Fat Bastard"? :cheeky:

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
After Chiri's recommendation, I couldn't resist checking this place out. The amaretto cheesecake got a big thumbs up and smiley happy faces from all around the table. The chinola cheesecake got some thumbs up and and some so-so's. The brownie was tasty but I personally found it a bit dry (I prefer my brownies to be quite gooey). I'll definitely be back to try some of the other yummy things on offer.

I took some photos to share with all you people with a sweet tooth, but I don't have any [Manage Attachments] button on my page as the FAQ says I should, so I can't post them. Do I have to ask permission to post photos? Am I overlooking something?

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Just to whet your appetite...

Figured the photo thing out. There was a call for photos, so I hope you don't mind me posting these.

Display.jpg

Interior.jpg

Cheesecakes.jpg

kiyarose

Apr 22, 2008
for anyone who lives on the oriental side, kisairis reposteria y panaderia in the san vicente at the enterance to villa faro is pretty good. not amazing, but the best i have had for this side of the city. but things tend to be a bit pricey (dominican standards), and overly sweet, but its a ?good enough?fix when you really need algo dulce.