Security Upgrade at El Neptuno

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Those who have stayed or are considering staying at El Neptuno condominium in Sosua will be interested in knowing that security is being significantly upgraded.

Workers are in the process of raising the wall on one side of the property by 3+' with wrought iron. Gates are being installed on all the stairways leading from the street to the building and all but one will be locked with padlocks. The gate that will be used by most will also be locked,but with an electronic keyless lock. Each authorized person will have a code that opens the gate. The lock can handle up to 90 different codes, so each apartment will have its own code, and codes will be deleted as soon as a renter checks out.

The day entrance for visitors and others who do not have a code will be the entrance to the property by the office,which means walking through the property to get to the building. This will increase chances of spotting an intruder. At night, this gate will be locked and also the gate from the pool area to the terrace in front of the building. The night entrance will be the gate with the electronic gate and it will be opened by the night watchman for persons who are not authorized to have a code. A record will be made of all persons admitted by the night watchman.

The back of the building is also being closed off with 6' cyclone fence.

Other measures are likely in the future, after we have some experience with the above described. To the extent possible, our plan is to make El Neptuno a gated community.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ken, are you the owner of Neptuno? Has this place been hit particularly hard by crime that it necessitated these measures, or are you just reassuring clients and potential clients of what you are doing?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, not the owner of El Neptuno, but the owner of one of the condos and a member of the board of directors.

We are not doing this because of a past crime wave. We are doing it because security has become more of a concern than in the past, as evidenced by the number of threads started on dr1 about security issues.

Our buildings have been very open, making it too easy for intruders. We feel that given the general security situation that we have been lucky not to have had more security problems than we had. The upgrade is proactive, trying to close the barn door before the horse is out of the barn.

We think it will also make our apartments more attractive to potential buyers should any of the owners want to sell. Likewise to potential renters, since many of these days want to know about the security situation before sending their rental deposit.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ken:

Did you ever apprehend Michael John, The Percale Bandit that made off with the comforter last year? I hope you alerted the folks at El Balcones of the potential dangers of renting to these unfriendly guests.

tambo'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tambo', no they promised, but never did a thing. Are they at Balcones? If they are, we will certainly follow up.

Please let me know if they are there or have been renting there.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
No, not the owner of El Neptuno, but the owner of one of the condos and a member of the board of directors.

We are not doing this because of a past crime wave. We are doing it because security has become more of a concern than in the past, as evidenced by the number of threads started on dr1 about security issues.

Our buildings have been very open, making it too easy for intruders. We feel that given the general security situation that we have been lucky not to have had more security problems than we had. The upgrade is proactive, trying to close the barn door before the horse is out of the barn.

We think it will also make our apartments more attractive to potential buyers should any of the owners want to sell. Likewise to potential renters, since many of these days want to know about the security situation before sending their rental deposit.

Now Ken, you say the security upgrade is proactive when in actuality it was reactive to the many problems with security at El Neptuno. I've even heard of a recent burglary within the last few days at Neptuno, this happening after your bandaid approach to fixing the problem.
Dare I bring out the list of breakins, attempted breakins and burglaries at Neptuno over the last several years? You and the other owners know it's quite extensive. It appears you are still free of logic, common sense and truth in speaking.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
AlaninDR; Such a clown... lol

The topic of crime is in every paper and TV station every day.. every hour... every minute... in every Country. DR1 included.

Some places have taken a more aggressive stance to better secure their properties and it has required great time, diplomicy and monies to make those advances.

If you wish to make comments concerning "a" property; then I expect you to include "B, C, D,E...." with ALL the facts.

After all, I live here and invest here. Do you?

Regards, Ringo

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Yes Ringo, and probably longer than you. I do live, here, invest here and have citizenship here. I also owned condos at Neptuno and still have interests there. What bothers me about Ken is his constant manipulation and distortion of facts. Since you recommend Julio Brea, who I also use, simply ask him about Ken's distortion of facts and what was actually said at a meeting over one year ago regarding security.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
AlaninDR... you are mixing this thread with other threads. I never named "Julio Brea" nor do I see that anyone else has. (Note to self: fire Julio.)

I WILL NOT GET INTO personal attacks... well... maybe Rocky. I will support, from my point of view, those that have earned my respect. I suppose that you have your point of view also, so give facts and not "what bothers you" about someone/something else. Geeezzz; everyone "bothers" me one way or another. LOL.

BTW: 12 years part and full time. Does not mean that I have learned anything. Another Pizzing contest? lol.

Regards, Ringo

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
FOR those that wish to buy/rent... The atty. mentioned, Dr. Brea is with DR1 recommended firm, is the man to retain.

Regards, Ringo

You did mention Julio Brea.
And I am happy to post an extensive list of security problems at El Neptuno as soon as Ken denies it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I love it when posters have no idea who they are talking to and make wild assumptions. My guess is that AlaninDR has made more investments of various types in the DR than most posters on this board.

So...

Let's not get into a slanging match guys, it doesn't do anyone any good.

Ken?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
AlaninDR;
The quote that you used from me in this thread, post above number 10, by you quoting me IS NOT IN THIS THREAD.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Mixing threads is quite common. The basis of fact posted in one thread carries over to others as this is a combined resource forum. I have zero argument with you Ringo and certainly hope that continues.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
ok Robert. Just trying to keep the facts up front. We all like to get into a..."slanging match" every now and again.

No one person knows all the facts and the facts change and differ dependending on the different views.

Regards, Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No real problem AlaninDR... I know that mixing treads can be a problem.... but please, ya know, let us all try to keep threads and facts within the proper place.

Regards, Ringo

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003

Our buildings have been very open, making it too easy for intruders[/B]. We feel that given the general security situation that we have been lucky not to have had more security problems than we had. The upgrade is proactive, trying to close the barn door before the horse is out of the barn.

I would like to jump in here-

I know nothing about El Neptuno, nor Ken. What I do know is how to read a thread and also how to read between the lines. I also know threads can be read two different ways.

I read this thread totally different than AlaninDR. To me Ken said this is being introduced because of increasing security issues - I didn't and we shouldn't expect him to list each and every breach of security to back up this decision.

The next paragraph he admits that they have had problems by stating how the condos have been built that allows these type of intrusions. He states that they have been lucky they haven't had more problems than they have had. He never said they haven't had problems, he just said given the outlay of the property, it is vulnerable and possibly could have had more problems than they did!!!

Of course, the bottom line in business - it will attract more investors and give peace of mind to rentors. This wasn't the main theme of the thread though, as it was included only at the end.

So, my point is how very interesting how one post can be read so many different ways and that is why I reread every post to make sure I haven't taken it the wrong way. If I am not sure I take the time to question, so that nothing gets taken out of context, and a good old fight ensues.

It also helps to keep personal grudges out of postings, as for those of us who are here to learn, it really takes away from the experience.;)

Go ahead - read this all wrong and come get me!!!! LOL

Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Disclaimer -

This is not a ****ing matching with certain posters on this thread.

This is just an example of how 2 people can read one post differently.

I stated that I know nothing about El Neptuno, or Ken right from the beginning.

Obviously, the wrong topic to write about my epithany! LOL

If the moderator would be so kind, I would like my post removed so that I may keep a modicum of respect from my fellow posters.

Thank you
Marlie

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Why not add a second metal security door to each apartment entrance. It could be made to look a little more decorative than C5. But it would certainly help to secure each apartment.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not close La Puntilla on both sides, except to residents and guests? Make it a true "gated community" instead of Fort Knox with ugly gates on the facade. It would actually be more aesthetic, as well as cost efficient. The cost could be divided between the other condos and residents on the street. A security guard out front during the day might also be an uptick, since I know there is NOBODY watching the front during the daytime.

You could use the extra savings on security to rebuild the patio out front/poolside that was planned 3 years ago.