social programs in the DR....are there any?

Sep 19, 2005
I have long wondered about the utterly poor and dissabled people I have seen in my travels there. I really wonder how some survive...I am talking seriously crippled and handicaped people.

does the DR have any type of program like Social security?

do they have anything like medicare and medicaid??

do they have programs where the severely handicapped become wards of the state??

I have never heard of them...but i do hear about the 13th paycheck and now I am hearing about the 14th paycheck in the news... and we read that workers have a lot of rights, which seems to suggest that the goverment would also have other programs to help the people...

anyone?

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I don't have a listing but do have a few links to some private/charity organizations.

One of them in Santiago helps over 300 physically and/or mentally challenged children a week along with helping young single mothers learn a skill to assist them in the workforce.

Home :: International Child Care, Inc.

Seems to me that the majority of help in the RD, outside of hospital care-and there are a number of expat run clinics as well-are done by foreign organizations.

It brings out some mixed feelings for me when you know the RD has spent such a small amount on education out of their mandated budget, they build a Metro but have failing school buildings and educational systems, etcetera...there are times I find it a bit hard to feel that sorry for the Dominicanos as opposed to some other countries in the world.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bob--If you are talking about the social services that you are familiar with in NYC (Ithink this was the intent of your question) the answer is no.

Re: Medicade I have first hand knowledge of both ends (DR and US)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It brings out some mixed feelings for me when you know the RD has spent such a small amount on education out of their mandated budget, they build a Metro but have failing school buildings and educational systems, etcetera...there are times I find it a bit hard to feel that sorry for the Dominicanos as opposed to some other countries in the world.[/quote]

Don't quite understand this statement. ie: do you mean you feel the Dominican population is responsible for voting for the Metro over Health Services?
Please clarify.
john

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Metro was not part of the present government's electoral manifesto in the 2004 elections, so Dominicans didn't vote for it.

The government, as Lambada said, has a number of social programmes - there is also the Solidaridad card for poor families that buys them about RD$600 worth of food every month. The selection criteria for the families are pretty dubious with many claiming that party faithful are given preference. There's ProComunidad, which is funded by international organisations but implemented by the government - they build schools and clinics and other basic services. There's Conani, the children and youth council that runs orphanages. As far as disabled people are concerned there are some state provisions but the most visible work is done by the charitable organisation Rehabilitaci?n.
As in other countries where state provisions are limited, the charity sector ends up shouldering much of the burden.

Sep 19, 2005
my question really centered on actual goverment programs....not charities. I know there are catholic and other religous charities all over the world where suffering is going on.

I was specifically asking about things that come from the goverment itself and are run by the goverment.

as far as projects that certain goverments start or build.. I also believe it is relevant. The pressure that any goverment feels comes from the voting force....it also comes from uprisings..

we know huelgas happen because the people are unhappy and they will continue to happen because the goverment actually does react to these things and throws money that way to quiet the people...thus justifying the huelga to all those who participated.

I have seen it first hand with road repairs in Licey and Moca.

So I do see lack of funding as a sore spot given that moneys are spent on pork belly projects for political agendas... and not actually civil programs desperately needed

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to go with Chiri's response as well as that of others.

Government efforts are certainly lacking in all areas of societal welfare. The exceptions are the "Comer es primero" program (with all the caveats presented by Chiri and others) and some help to students..but again, full of political ramifications.

Medicaid and Medicare, as such, do not exist. The government's SFS (Seguro Familiar de Salud) is undergoing more birthing pains than triplets the old-fashioned way...and has yet to be recognized as being truly effective.

HB's 1 1/2 ?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Johne, just MHO regarding the state of the country and the social programs, or lack thereof.

I don't pretend to have a great working knowledge of the politics and programs in the RD just an opinion from what I have seen over the last number of years.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
We should not forget that one of the reasons the Dominican Republic lacks social programs is not just because of corruption, but because of the strict fiscal policies that institutions like the IMF and World Bank impose on it. Anything akin to public works is frowned upon, because in these lending institutions philosophies the primary solution is "let the markets work things out"

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I can understand that however haven't there been a number of recommendations to actually spend the required percentage of the budget mandated to education?

The IMF is there to help the RD manage the funds to be able to allocate them to where they are supposed to go aren't they?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mr. Hidalgo! You know that the IMF would never object to less money for the Metro and more money for education or other social programs....not subsidies!!

The IMF objects to more debt (Sun Land) and subsidies (LPG and diesel and electricity).

HB

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Project Child - Hogar Casa de Luz located in Los Frailes neighborhood of Santo Domingo
Non-profit Christian organization reaches out to the forgotten children with special needs in the orphanages, hospitals & streets of the Dominican Republic by providing them with humanitarian relief and meeting their spiritual needs. Children with mental & physical disabilities are being loved and attended.

Project Child Help - Home