Possible to bring electric goods from uk?????

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
hi
I have found some very well priced lighting on ebay uk that i need for my business here, what i am wondering is if they will work here as the uk is 240. I am not at all knowledgeable in this area and would hate to buy these special lights only to find they dont work here. Obviously would need to change plug and they would be used in hotels and resorts which i presume are 220. please help

merry christmas

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
hi
I have found some very well priced lighting on ebay uk that i need for my business here, what i am wondering is if they will work here as the uk is 240. I am not at all knowledgeable in this area and would hate to buy these special lights only to find they dont work here. Obviously would need to change plug and they would be used in hotels and resorts which i presume are 220. please help

merry christmas

Don't waste your time and money, they will not work here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have lighting needs, Perhaps some guys I know can help you..

Send me a PM....

FYI: These are the guys that installed the lights at the STI airport, so they are qualified to do whatever you need....

HB

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
hi
Shame they wont work they are such a bargain, unfortunatly they are not any old lights, they are all singin all dancin for our theatre show, new they are approx $4k each!!!! found two used in uk for $1k. will have to continue search in u.s.a. thanaks anyway peeps!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As this is for a theatre show & thinking OUTSIDE the box, why not run two 110v cables into a box, change the plug to a three pin (220 v style) & run your lights from e-Bay off that?
We brought a couple of 240 household electrical units with us 15 years ago AND a UP-charging converter (VERY Heavy & quite expensive) but since moving into the new house we had 220 installed & they work fine from that. The A/c works off 220 also.

Have a quick PM to Hillbilly & see if hiw contacts will help in this!! Certainly it won't cost you US $3,000 to organise new 220v wiring!! ~ Grahame.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The UK is officially 240v but most of the time it runs around 220/230v. My Freezer, refrigerator, electric drill, sander all work fine here. Just ensure that when you build your house you also have a 220v supply as well as 110v. You can buy plug holes that are multistandard, US/DR 220v, UK 13amp, european 220v, they can all plug into the same hole. I also brought with me some UK and continental multi sockets extension leads. The one in the kitchen runs the toaster, lean mean fat machine, bif baf bosh. coffee grinder etc. The only thing I have found that won?t work are electric clocks, the cycles per second are different. Good luck its quite simple really.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry Laurajane, I forgot to mention customs import duties. If you are a pensioner, no problem no tax, just insist its second hand and had been in your family for aeons. If not check out with the aduana first. Buena suerte!