CDs in North Coast Banks

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi,

Tried to find the information on a search, to no avail.

Those of you with experience at this, could you please answer a few questions:

1) What is the percentage rate you can get now for a CD?
2) What's the minimum amount, if any and the length of time?
3) Does it have to be in pesos or $US?
4) What are the risks - this one's important to me
5) Do you need a letter of recommendation to open an account? if so, does it matter that you already have an account at a local bank?
6) What banks do you specifically recommend?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ro

N

naturelover

I can answer two of the questions ...banco central in santiago give the best rates however the rate was 15percent last week and is now listed as 13percent on their site for 2and a half year certificates in R$
Banco santa cruz do them but i havent checked out the rate difference

N

naturelover

sorry you havent received much response .. perhaps you should have mentioned sankies in the post to drum up more interest.....

N

naturelover

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt1Active id=p591473 width="50%">CDs in North Coast Banks</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap>12-22-2007 04:33 AM</TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">sanktified!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
hmmmm i cant believe i got a black mark for posting to a friend.......
see you at 9.ooam for tennis

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Investing in Peso

A few years ago(maybe 3?) when the peso was going thru gyrations ie: 50 and falling into 40's and 30's their was an awful lot of good information on this board as to how that would affect possible investments.
It would be worth you while to search for those threads and understand your risks.
john

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hey Nature Lover

Do you know how long those CDs are for in Santiago? That's very interesting that different cities offer different rates. I know that they are different banks but that is a HUGE difference in %.

WOW!!!

N

naturelover

the difference is whether its in dollars or pesos ...pesos have a much higher rate although its probably dropping as we speak

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Nevermind, you will just cry to ...................

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'm not talking about the difference in rates between pesos and dollars -- I'm talking about the difference between 8 % and 15 %. That's a lot of money potentially.