Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You think this only happens here?

Dominican illegal immigrants are often swindled out of money for a fake trip to puerto rico when in reality, they take a 2 day ride in the ocean and then dropped off in the coast of domincian republic at night. The poor fools think they have reached puerto rico, only to discover in disappointment that have reached no where near as they were promised. Then you have illegal immigrant smugglers who take you to PR in boats only to be handed over to coast guards. there has been rumors that coastguards (US) are in the game with the smugglers.
    People who are returned back often find themselves in huge debts on loans they had taken out to pay for the trip in yolas.
    Now this types of scams are not only limited to DR. Look what happens to people in India who buy visas to work in Dubai.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CA3zSCeNgso&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CA3zSCeNgso&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this happens where ever there are desperate people and those willing to con them! It is sad.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen so many of these cases is not even funny. People have lost their land, houses, etc. As a matter of fact I have a acquaintance of mine who has made a ton of money lending money to people who want to go to Puerto Rico. He charges them a high interest and asks for some kind of guarantee. If they make it, he makes out like a bandit on interest alone; If they don't then they lose whatever they put up as a guarantee. It is big business...

Fortunately in my hometown most of the people who try do make it. There's a guy who's kind of like the godfather of these trips and 90%+ of his trips are successful. He's either got some good connections or is very, very lucky. He's single handedly changed the landscape of my hometown and surrounding areas as probably 90% of people who made it to The US illegally made it with his help.

In my family alone there's been four people who have made it over the last six months. I lent my cousin 1000 USD and he used it to send his oldest son on one of these trips. They were (are) extremely poor. The kid made it and once he got work, he paid for his brothers and even his dad (my cousin) to take the trip. They all made it and are now all working in Puerto Rico.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

suckers!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You Must Be SOOOOOO Proud Of Them!!!!!!!!!

And to think you made it all, possible! What a great person you are!..

"NOT"!

What you did is PROBABLY illegal,and DEFINETLY Immoral!
    Cris Colon

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How is helping provide someone with the means to a better life immoral? Who is it hurting? I can't disagree with the illegal argument, the law is the law, but morality? caman!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default you are right, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post

"NOT"!

What you did is PROBABLY illegal,and DEFINETLY Immoral! Cris Colon
    El que este libre de pecado que tire la primera piedra.
    translate it if you like Cris.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post

"NOT"!

What you did is PROBABLY illegal,and DEFINETLY Immoral!
    Cris Colon
    Definitely not illegal as I all I did was lend some money to my cousin. Is that illegal? What he used it for is his problem.

Immoral? Now I've seen it all. I'm being judged by someone who's claim to fame is that he sleeps with tons of young (How young?) prostitutes in The DR...who even claims to rent an apartment just for this purpose (Does your wife know this? Do your kids that you love so much know who their father really is?)...If you live in a glass house leave those rocks alone....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the biblical note there M.A.R.....but the point is it is illegal and MOST of the folks that try that crossing do not make it, and are not successful. The ones that do make it are not pulling in big money. Its a scam because the only ones making any real $ are making it because they get involved with illegal activities. Spin it any way you want, but the great % that try this program get burned...big time. As said earlier, it does not just happen in the DR and this feeding off the misery made by false hopes and promises is immoral and criminal.

P.S. ...........and when folks lend or give money to someone with which they know will use it for an illegal activity...then they are also an accomplice. This is not a judgement...its just what it is by definition in law.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Y ademas.....

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    I've seen so many of these cases is not even funny. People have lost their land, houses, etc. As a matter of fact I have a acquaintance of mine who has made a ton of money lending money to people who want to go to Puerto Rico. He charges them a high interest and asks for some kind of guarantee. If they make it, he makes out like a bandit on interest alone; If they don't then they lose whatever they put up as a guarantee. It is big business...
    And what about those who "borrow" money from their family and friends ONLY to NEVER pay them back?..

I used to know a guy in the DR who "borrowed" about 50,000 pesos from his friends a few years ago and they are still waiting for the money!....AND for him to show his face!!.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast