Do I have live and work in the US to apply for a k-3 for my husband?

marialeonorsolano

Oct 11, 2006
I wasnt able to find my answer in the FAQs.

I want my husband to apply for the K-3 visa, however I live in DR with him and I am not living or working in the US right now.

Someone said I must live and work in the US to show proof of financial support before I start that process for him. Is that true?

I also have a few question on filling out the form 1-130 petition, one of the questions ask my address, so I'm going to put my address in the states, however another question ask the dates that we have lived together, we are currently living together in the DR obviously that would contradict with what I put on the first question, that i live in the states.
Any suggestions on filling those questions out?

Everyone tells me to get a lawyer but I dont feel my case is that complicated . The goal would be able to go back and forth to the US work a little but ultimately to live in the DR.

Is K-3 the way to go?

Im in between the two worlds because I live in DR but dont have my residency there, and I dont live or work in the US either. I read USCIS website which stated that Americans living abroad should petition at the Embassy , thats what I did, which was a mistake! They rejected my petition saying I need to send it to the States. Now people in the states tell me I must be currently living in States to make a petition. So I need some advice.
Thanks.

Maria.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Each "Immigration" Case IS Different!

You really have to go to an "INS" office in the USA,or "TRY" and get your questions answered here at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo.(DON"T COUNT ON THAT!)
Asking questions that are "Case Specific" on DR1 may get you the "Correct" ansewer,then again,it MIGHT NOT!
It would be too bad to waste your time and money responding to an erroneous "answer" from someone trying to be helpful on DR1!
Cris Colon

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Dominicansto....

Have you tried the website, Dominicanstotheusa.com? If not, you may want to log on and post your question to Tim. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes you can submit the petition it does not matter you live here in the DR. But you need to find some body else in the US. to be the sponsor of your fiance and you need to have an address in the state where the NVC. mail all the forms to you. becouse they don"t trust in the Dominican post office.

JJ.